This is a Bad Hockey Team 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
I haven't watched that many games due to, well, living in Europe, but I had to check the advanced stats and I see that they are #11 in shot metrics 5vs5. Got to belive that the scores doesn't reflect how good the team really is - and that they'll bounce back. Stuff like this tend to even themselves out in the end (see: The Montreal Canadians missing the play offs after going undefeated for 20 odd games)

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
After a quick look-up, I have to say the team is in the middle of the league, considering PIM taken. Not really undisciplined, I have to correct myself.

So it's down to PK and defense. Transition game and goaltending should benefit from better defense. Our defenseman suck and/or the scheme is f***ed.

Short term best: Fire AV and hire Mr. Wunderkind

Long term best: tank and trade for whatever this season. It's like the trolley problem somehow.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
The chasing in the defensive zone has to stop. It's either complete outright panicville or a slo-mo movie where the Rangers seem to think their gaze will stop the other team's attack. It's close your eyes time quite often. Embarrassing.
The team has been finding bright spots, as in good periods. They inexplicably become blah in at least one period, as though the die is cast, and in that twenty minutes, they can only be pretty good, or just pretty bad. They can't right the ship midstream, they get into these 20 minute units that define them as 'on' or 'off'.
Weird.
They have shown some good stuff when they are on. They have to fix the way they handle the other team in their own zone. One thing at a time maybe.
Henrik is and older guy now and things aren't quite as sharp every minute, but dumbass play in front of him is a bigger problem. It can be fixed. If it takes a new coach, get a new coach. Regardless, as somebody else posted, it's not the end of the world if its a down season as they recharge for the (near) future. Look after the picks, and look after the quality prospects. Trade a couple of players where and when and even if you can, don't necessarily wait for the TDL.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
man to man defense is just so hard...offensive players move around so much...they set picks for each other..release and pick up, which guy do you have, etc..so much movement leads to missed assignments and guys all alone in the slot. thats how were getting crushed.

people blame Henrik...hes given up some awful goals, this is true, but hes also saved at least twice as many "gimme" goals..so i can forgive the bad goals hes given up. Our defense has been nothing short of atrocious this year...point blank chances...in the slot chances, blown assignments EVERYWHERE...zero pressure on the points...guys have all day to reset by giving it to the man up top.

our defense has been and will continue to be atrocious as long as we play man to man.

we've sucked defensively every year under AV. This might be teh worst its ever been though. people can yell about so many guys not scoring..but it starts in the defensive zone.

cant play defense..cant expect to win.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Ok, I'm officially in, and not in a tongue and cheek way.

Good teams find ways to win and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Bad teams simply find ways to lose.

I'm sick of watching this team start games unprepared and fall behind no more than 5 minutes into the game. It doesn't matter how well you play afterwards if you constantly fall into a hole early on. I'm riding AV hard for this, but it's also on the players to an extent as well. This is a result of a lack of preparedness and the players not playing for each other or their coach.

If the Rangers bottom out this year and we're not looking back on this in March laughing about it because they found a way to turn it around, it's a hell of a year to do it. Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Boqvist can all be franchise altering players. Beyond that it gets a little hazy, but this year's top 10 is loaded with talent.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
man to man defense is just so hard...offensive players move around so much...they set picks for each other..release and pick up, which guy do you have, etc..so much movement leads to missed assignments and guys all alone in the slot. thats how were getting crushed.

people blame Henrik...hes given up some awful goals, this is true, but hes also saved at least twice as many "gimme" goals..so i can forgive the bad goals hes given up. Our defense has been nothing short of atrocious this year...point blank chances...in the slot chances, blown assignments EVERYWHERE...zero pressure on the points...guys have all day to reset by giving it to the man up top.

our defense has been and will continue to be atrocious as long as we play man to man.

we've sucked defensively every year under AV. This might be teh worst its ever been though. people can yell about so many guys not scoring..but it starts in the defensive zone.

cant play defense..cant expect to win.

When you suck at defense as a unit, it’s hard to play good defense.

It’s similar to not scoring when possession offensive players can’t put the damn puck in the net.

Reactions: Off Sides

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Ok, I'm officially in, and not in a tongue and cheek way.

Good teams find ways to win and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Bad teams simply find ways to lose.

I'm sick of watching this team start games unprepared and fall behind no more than 5 minutes into the game. It doesn't matter how well you play afterwards if you constantly fall into a hole early on. I'm riding AV hard for this, but it's also on the players to an extent as well. This is a result of a lack of preparedness and the players not playing for each other or their coach.

If the Rangers bottom out this year and we're not looking back on this in March laughing about it because they found a way to turn it around, it's a hell of a year to do it. Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Boqvist can all be franchise altering players. Beyond that it gets a little hazy, but this year's top 10 is loaded with talent.

A confused jockey riding and old 3 legged horse.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I was at the game tonight. The Rangers got a lot of shots but San Jose's puck movement, especially in the offensive zone, is on an entirely different tier than where the Rangers are at the moment. Everyone on the Sharks knows where everyone else is or at least where everyone else is supposed to be whereas the Rangers seem to just be freestyling. The amount of sloppy offisdes that occurred tonight on the PP is really indicative of a team that's either transitioning systems or just isn't on the same page.

Reactions: Ori
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad