Third-Line Center

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Based on numbers, I'm hesitant to pencil in JFK for the third line C spot.

I think our best bet would be to move Kuraly to 3C. If he can handle it, great, if he can't, we add a veteran 3C at the deadline.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'd like to see what he could do there- it doesn't appear that he has the offensive instincts or talent to pull it off, but he could surprise us.

He could, but I’m not sure this is the team you try that with. It worked with Riley Nash during the regular season (not the playoffs) but do you really go 2/2 on 4th liners hitting that next level? I think they need to go a different route and keep Kuraly where we know he is effective.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'd like to see what he could do there- it doesn't appear that he has the offensive instincts or talent to pull it off, but he could surprise us.
they way to find that out is to let him fill in when someone is inevitably injured, but I definitely wouldn't pencil him in to that spot on a hunch.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
they way to find that out is to let him fill in when someone is inevitably injured, but I definitely wouldn't pencil him in to that spot on a hunch.

Given our walking wounded, he should get an opportunity at some point. I thought when Cassidy moved him up with Backes for some shifts, he didn't look bad. Then again, that sort of grind line as a 3rd line is probably too retro 90s these days.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Given our walking wounded, he should get an opportunity at some point. I thought when Cassidy moved him up with Backes for some shifts, he didn't look bad. Then again, that sort of grind line as a 3rd line is probably too retro 90s these days.
Yeah, Backes & Kuraly have played well together going back to last year. I could live with Backes on the 4th line if they had a speedy 3rd line maybe.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah, Backes & Kuraly have played well together going back to last year. I could live with Backes on the 4th line if they had a speedy 3rd line maybe.

You know it could be that we might be looking at 3/4 lines that are not true 3/4 lines in terms of depth, but more in terms of need/style. That could be cool . . .

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am not sure if it’s from the start but my view is JFK is going to be a good NHL player

His timing to be a second line caliber center is lined up perfectly with Krejci contract

He’s getting way undervalued in this thread

I love following guys around the ice on shifts and since the player may have the puck at most for a few seconds any shift it’s not hard if you got a good view to assess what he did with the puck

I did this with JFK whether watching him in Lowell, Agannis, or Providence

He could get stronger like DeBrusk and Heinen did but his puck skills are plus plus

He’s very good on faceoffs

If he can avoid heavy hits - he holds on to pick a long time to wait for guys to get open - he looks 50+ points probably 60+

He’s got top 6 skills and head - he probably starts here but I don’t see him when he’s played 200 nhl games a third liner

He could be a monster with Donato or DeBrusk on his wing in a few years

Last edited:

False Start

May 8, 2018
I am not sure if it’s from the start but my view is JFK is going to be a good NHL player

His timing to be a second line caliber center is lined up perfectly with Krejci contract

I love following guys around the ice on shifts and since the player may have the puck at most for a few seconds any shift it’s not hard if you got a good view to assess what he did with the puck

He could get stronger like DeBrusk and Heinen did but his puck skills are plus plus

If he can avoid heavy hits - he holds on to pick a long time to wait for guys to get open - he looks 50+ points probably 60+

He’s got top 6 skills and head - he probably starts here but I don’t see him when he’s played 200 nhl games a third liner

He's got the perfect mentor too in Bergeron.

I for one cannot wait for his true debut.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

DKH, can I ask what his D game and skating like? While I`m left uninspired by Krejci often, one thing I rarely have been able to fault him for is his attention to details defensively. How`s JFK in that regards if you know please and thanks. I know very little about the kid but everything I have read about him states very similar points to what you offered above

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If Riley Nash would accept a 1 year deal I'd bring him back asap. He isn't an offensive force but with the contract situation looking like it is (McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen, Donato all RFAs after next year) I think hes a fairly low risk signing and can easily be a very productive fourth liner.

Also - Between Donato, JFK, Kuraly and Frederic you'd HOPE one of them could take over that 3C role. If not Nash has proven to be adequate in that spot to let the kids develop one more year.

Any more than 1 year deal I'd be very hesitant though.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If Riley Nash would accept a 1 year deal I'd bring him back asap.

I can't imagine why Riley would take a 1 year deal, though. He's pretty much at his best (and perhaps only) opportunity to get a nice NHL contract. Someone will offer 3 or 4 years at decent money and he'd be a fool not to take it. Why take a one year deal, risk a poor season and lose all that leverage? I think unless the Bruins are coming in with a multi-year deal for him at 3-4 mill. (and I hope they don't( he is walking. Best of luck to him- he's earned it.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I can't imagine why Riley would take a 1 year deal, though. He's pretty much at his best (and perhaps only) opportunity to get a nice NHL contract. Someone will offer 3 or 4 years at decent money and he'd be a fool not to take it. Why take a one year deal, risk a poor season and lose all that leverage? I think unless the Bruins are coming in with a multi-year deal for him at 3-4 mill. (and I hope they don't( he is walking. Best of luck to him- he's earned it.

Never said he would, but he said he was comfortable here so maybe a 1 year deal with higher AAV would make it enticing? 1 year at $4mm?

Just spitballing here of course.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
there's no way we make Kuraly 3C. that spot needs to be a guy who can fill in on the top 2 lines in a pinch and that's just not his game

Agree. I don’t like the idea of going into a season with uncertainty in our 3C role. I don’t think it’s realistic at all to expect one or both of Bergy and Krejci to have healthy seasons where they don’t miss time. I think it’s pretty reasonable expectation our 3C will need to be capable of jumping into a top 6 center role for more than a random game.

This is too important a depth position to have questionable.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I also think an underrated aspect of the 3C is putting some pressure on Krejci as the 2C. Krejci floats more often than most of us would like and having a young kid challenging him for minutes woudlnt be the worst thing.

Reactions: Krupp

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If Riley Nash would accept a 1 year deal I'd bring him back asap. He isn't an offensive force but with the contract situation looking like it is (McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen, Donato all RFAs after next year) I think hes a fairly low risk signing and can easily be a very productive fourth liner.

Also - Between Donato, JFK, Kuraly and Frederic you'd HOPE one of them could take over that 3C role. If not Nash has proven to be adequate in that spot to let the kids develop one more year.

Any more than 1 year deal I'd be very hesitant though.

I would be very comfortable with him on a one year deal but I think he’d be silly to take one

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Or try and hit a home run and overpay for Athanasiou. Not sure what his relationship is with Red Wings management but he's an RFA who held out last year. This guy would be the perfect 3rd line centre for this Bruins team.

Heinen + Lauzon for Athanasiou (Heinen had more points that AA)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Resigning Riley Nash is the worst possible idea

Why don't we find out what he wants for $ before dismissing the idea of re-signing him? Everyone assumes he's going for the home run contract but that might not be the case. When David Krejci was UFA there was a lot of talk about not re-signing him because of assumptions about how much $ he wanted. Turned out it was less than what was feared at the time.

Reactions: Tim Vezina Thomas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad