Third-Line Center

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Looks like a big need on paper, maybe the biggest need. Do you think JFK and/or Frederic are ready? If not, who can Sweeney&Co acquire with limited cap via trade or FA? Looking forward to see how this offseason plays out.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I think JFK is ready.

Kid got a taste of the NHL years ago, he looked timid but spent a full year down in AHL versus professionals.

He'll have hiccups I'm sure but no better way to find out what we have in him if we don't play him.

I want a 3rd line of Heinen JFK Donato or Bjork. Have JFK focus on shutting down other lines while the other two guys support him with scoring and two way play.

Reactions: veganbruin

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We don't like playing offense oriented kids who were always centers coming up as centers if they aren't Bergeron defensively.

Its extremely difficult to determine which former center will be allowed to play center next year and replace Riley Nash.

Heinen I think is the guy who I'd give the job to at the start of camp and make him lose it.

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think JFK is ready.

Kid got a taste of the NHL years ago, he looked timid but spent a full year down in AHL versus professionals.

He'll have hiccups I'm sure but no better way to find out what we have in him if we don't play him.

I want a 3rd line of Heinen JFK Donato or Bjork. Have JFK focus on shutting down other lines while the other two guys support him with scoring and two way play.

I don't. He can barely stay healthy at the AHL level.

His production at the AHL level was also underwhelming

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
We don't like playing offense oriented kids who were always centers coming up as centers if they aren't Bergeron defensively.

Its extremely difficult to determine which former center will be allowed to play center next year and replace Riley Nash.

Heinen I think is the guy who I'd give the job to at the start of camp and make him lose it.

I'd like to see Heinen get the shot too, provided that the guy who ought to be our 3C, David Backes, is not up to it. I would also not be opposed to giving Kuraly a look there at least in camp and in the pre-season and see what he can do.

Reactions: BMC and veganbruin

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I like the idea. I posted the idea on another thread

Bjork Heinen Cehlarik as a potential third line for next season

Reactions: veganbruin

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Looks like a big need on paper, maybe the biggest need. Do you think JFK and/or Frederic are ready? If not, who can Sweeney&Co acquire with limited cap via trade or FA? Looking forward to see how this offseason plays out.

Frederic might not be quite ready

A full season down at Prov, then easing him into the lineup (LW on the 4th line) might be a better way to intergrate him into the roster

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't. He can barely stay healthy at the AHL level.

His production at the AHL level was also underwhelming imo

As was mentioned somewhere else, Mark Divver didn't see him as particularly ready for the NHL yet, and Dom concurred. I haven't seen him in Providence at all, but I defer to those that are seeing him regularly. At this point I think we are either signing someone for the job (or re-signing as in Riley Nash) or are going in-house with someone already on the NHL roster.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
As was mentioned somewhere else, Mark Divver didn't see him as particularly ready for the NHL yet, and Dom concurred. I haven't seen him in Providence at all, but I defer to those that are seeing him regularly. At this point I think we are either signing someone for the job (or re-signing as in Riley Nash) or are going in-house with someone already on the NHL roster.

Resigning Riley Nash is the worst possible idea

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
If JFK is NOT ready, which is a possibility, another crazy idea i'm kinda starting to warm up to is one some of you have already mentioned even months ago; why not give Heinen a chance?

I mean, obviously he's not played the position at the NHL level; big time difference between than and the college ranks obviously. But the guy has a good head on his shoulders. Good defensive awareness. Doesn't see to make big mistakes or blunders with the puck too often...at least from what I've seen.

I guess it all depends on how some of the other young wingers look in camp. Bjork is gonna be back. Donato will be too. With this team apparently good enough to get near a cup spot, the implications of going with a younger guy compared to a seasoned vet seems like a gamble. But maybe that's why it'd be better for a guy like Heinen, who has poise and now has been blooded against both a speed team and a physical team in teh playoffs, to take that spot over a guy like JFK, who has yet to play an NHL season.

It's also possible i'm overthinking things. I just can't think of one available free agent Center that I'd want to take that third line right now that would be a good fit for this team. We already kinda know what we're getting with Heinen at least

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
I like the idea. I posted the idea on another thread

Bjork Heinen Cehlarik as a potential third line for next season

Who do you think plays RW on Krejci’s line if they put together this third line? They don’t seem to like Donato on the right side.

False Start

May 8, 2018
If JFK is NOT ready, which is a possibility, another crazy idea i'm kinda starting to warm up to is one some of you have already mentioned even months ago; why not give Heinen a chance?

I spoke to a little of this in the David backes thread.

Heinen simply does not have the footspeed to play center in the NHL. His skating would get exposed at center. This is why Bruce has been opposed to playing backes at center.

He has the mind and creativity for it but he won't be able to keep up. He's one of our slowest forwards on the team right now. The center has to skate by far the most.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Id like to see them give one of the kids a shot. Specifically Heinen. While padding said center with some wings who know how to play the length of the ice.

But even still Id like them to go out and get a solid faceoff dot/defensive zone presence of a center on a short term deal (much like Riley was on).

I don't feel comfortable with the bottom 6 centers being (insert rookie here) and Kuraly.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Between donato, frederic, jfk, czarnik, hopefully something sticks for that spot on the 3rd line. That’s how I’d go into next season for 3C. If it’s donato, then heinen next to him and backes on the right. If it’s one of the other 3, I’d put donato on the left with backes on the right. Although debrusk-frederic-backes would be an interesting idea bumping donato to line 2. Still need a 2RW. That’s the biggest need. If it is debrusk/donato-krejci...I don’t like the idea of heinen or bjork there, although it might work. Senyshyn really has the skill set to excel on that line as it’s constructed, just not sure if the team expects him to be able to compete and contribute the level of offense needed to be a 2rw after an underwhelming statisical performance in year one in the ahl. He probably needs another year.

The main needs for this team are the same as last year. A 2nd paring left shot dman and a rw. 3rd line center I think will work it’s way out with the 4 way competition between the young guys

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
I was going to list Donato

I guess you could also try

Donato Krejci Bjork
Debrusk Heinen Cehlarik

Or maybe
Debrusk-Krejci-Bjork
Donato-Heinen-Cehlarik

You can always put Backes on the right and drop Cehlarik to the 4th line if you need a veteran presence

Reactions: rocketdan9

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I think 3rd line center is a big need. If theres no short term options I guess our only choice is to give it to Frederic/JFK/Donato

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think it should be Kuraly. That guy has improved so much. Then ease JFK/Frederic/whoever else in on the fourth line.

Reactions: xgallantx

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
austin czarnik deserves a contract and an opportunity, either as a 3rd line center, or a full time skilled 4th liner.

JFK will probably play 20-30 games in Boston next year. Nice way to transition him into a full time Center in the 2019-2020 season.

Kuraly should remain a 4th liner.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I would sign Czarnik, but not sure if he would win that center spot or not.

A guy who could make a push for it that not many are talking about is Ryan Fitzgerald.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Nothing against Czarnik, but we just got out-hit and out-muscled against TB, and Czarnik lacks size. If we're going to have young players like Heinen and Bjork, I want the 3rd line C to bring a bit more of a physical presence.

I'd put Backes there or re-sign Riley, if there are no external options.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Nothing against Czarnik, but we just got out-hit and out-muscled against TB, and Czarnik lacks size. If we're going to have young players like Heinen and Bjork, I want the 3rd line C to bring a bit more of a physical presence.

I'd put Backes there or re-sign Riley, if there are no external options.

Backes is too slow to play C, those days are behind him imo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad