Friedman: Thinks Zadorov will price himself out of Vancouver.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's funny that you think Zadorov is slow. His decision making is puzzling sometimes, but he's an elite skater. He skates like Hanifin.
When I say slow, I mean slow compared to the mobile Dmen of todays game. Compared to other Dmen of his size and play style he’s fine but the game is moving away from those type of players. He’s just not a guy you want defending against the Mcdavids, Mckinnons and other elite skaters of the league. The problem is that GM’s love this type of player and will pay him like a 2-3 when he should be payed like a 5-6.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
When I say slow, I mean slow compared to the mobile Dmen of todays game. Compared to other Dmen of his size and play style he’s fine but the game is moving away from those type of players. He’s just not a guy you want defending against the Mcdavids, Mckinnons and other elite skaters of the league. The problem is that GM’s love this type of player and will pay him like a 2-3 when he should be payed like a 5-6.
No, he's fast compared to small guys. You're completely off here. He's as fast as Hanifin, faster than Andersson. Only Kylington skates better than him and he skates better than any defenseman in the league. He'd be the Oilers fastest defenseman by quite a bit. He's not just fast for his size. He's a top 10% skating defenseman. He's extremely mobile by today's standard. Hischier is a pretty good skater. Zadorov blew him away to score in a race from 15 feet behind him.

Until Kylington came back Zadorov had the top speed recorded by a Flames player this season.

For reference this is only 1.3KM per hour slower than McDavid's fastest ever speed and faster than any other Oiler player this season has skated.

Reactions: Nanuuk

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
I'm not surprised. I felt we already knew when we traded for him that he would test FA and get the biggest contract offered to him.

He isn't a bad player by any means. But I'm not ready to give him would he more than likely wants.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Zadorov on a good day is a good top 4 defenseman, atleast he's been playing that way ever since he came from Vancouver.

I'd love to keep him, but he's kind of redundant with Soucy in the line up. If he was a RHD his value would be through the roof.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Allvin and Rutherford have wanted Zadorov since last season, I find it unlikely he walks given the interest they have. That said, I also highly doubt he goes to a team with a bunch of cap space just to sign a big contract as judging from his interviews, he wants to play for a good team and wants to win a cup.

I wonder if the Scott Mayfield contract is a comparable. A buyout friendly say $3.8M x 6/22.8M contract. Guys like Zadorov who can skate with pace and is big and physical will always have value, if there is a need to get out of his contract, I’m sure there will be takers throughout the entirety of that.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
On the most recent 32 thoughts podcast It was suggested that Zadorov is not long for Vancouver, he said he believs Zadorov will price himself out of Vancouver.

I wonder what he thinks he will get on the open market.

I'd bet my bottom dollar Treliving will be hard after him, I expect the full court press to be on for him.
DUH!!!! This is the worst kept secret….. who was the top destination when it was clear he wanted out? Toronto. His agent leaked out Toronto specifically during the whole drama. He knew if he went to Toronto an extension was coming. Would not be surprised at all if Treliving gets him in July. There is mutual interest on both sides. Friedman himself has said multiple times that they tried to get Zadorov months before the deadline.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I would not be shocked in the least if Marner is traded to clear room for both Zadorov and Tanev. Leafs would have a top D core of Rielly-Tanev, Zadorov-McCabe, Benoit-Liljegren.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Zadorov is a really fun really good #5 defenseman but some of the numbers being thrown around are lunacy. Anybody giving him six by six is paying through the nose.

This is fully accurate... any team who gives him $4 mil plus with term, is really going to regret it. I truly hope Treliving signs Benoit instead.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
DUH!!!! This is the worst kept secret….. who was the top destination when it was clear he wanted out? Toronto. His agent leaked out Toronto specifically during the whole drama. He knew if he went to Toronto an extension was coming. Would not be surprised at all if Treliving gets him in July. There is mutual interest on both sides. Friedman himself has said multiple times that they tried to get Zadorov months before the deadline.
Isn’t he a Canuck fan tho? He said he was jealous of Horvat for getting drafted to VAN. He’s said lots of great things about the city and team, I could see him staying.

The thing is, we can’t overpay. So, ya, depends if he wants to stay..

Crow

May 19, 2014
Watch Allvin flip him at the draft for a 5th if he can't be resigned.

Somewhere like Chicago who probably could use a LD and someone to provide protection for Bedard.

A team that can provide the big contract, and sell the potential of contending in a few years, perfect for the agent to cash.
We already tried his services and he looked like a bottom pairing guy here. May not have been his fault but I doubt Davidson goes after him considering the term he is looking for.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Zadorov with inflation over 5+ years is a $5.3 to $5.75 million player he's not great, he's serviceable and has size and won't cost you many games based on boneheaded plays or positioning.

If he wants or can get more outside of that go ahead. Looking at the numbers, Vancouver will be in tight next year and the following based on OEL's buyout (OEL who is doing very well in Florida ironically)

So for Vancouver they need to sort what is appropriate for him and if he prices himself out, what a trade for his rights would return them, because there's a couple of squeeze years for the Canucks coming via cap friendly with some pretty big names needing extensions.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It honestly makes sense for him, he’s been pretty damn good and deserves a solid contract.

I think he will get the money

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
People have been saying 6x6 is nuts for him... and they're probably right... but it would not at all suprise me to see him get something like $5m x 6 years kind of thing.

As has been stated repeatedly throughout this thread, a guy that has his size / reach, skating ability, and physical presence is a GM's dreams... all GMs will look at him and think to themselves "my coach can make this guy a top 4 powerhouse" with the right partner and opportunity.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Even as a zadarov fan I think 5 is already too much for him. lol at the 6 x 6.

He’s literally a bottom pairing guy. But a unique since he will be one of the biggest and heaviest in the league so not bad having something like that on the roster.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Even as a zadarov fan I think 5 is already too much for him. lol at the 6 x 6.

He’s literally a bottom pairing guy. But a unique since he will be one of the biggest and heaviest in the league so not bad having something like that on the roster.
I guess it depends. I don't think 5M for 2 years is too much. I do think 5M for 6 years is too much. If his skating drops off he will be a 3M physical defenseman. His skating is the thing that saves him from his hockey sense and decision making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad