Friedman: Thinks Zadorov will price himself out of Vancouver.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
:(

Honestly I wonder - given he's been traded quite frequently - if he would value term/security as much as the highest number.

I'd bring him back at 4M+ x 5-6 yrs with trade protection. He's a unicorn & I've really liked his fit. He adds alot & I think he has potential to be even better with some stability, as I said he's moved around alot.

Ultimately he's 28 turning 29 & will be looking for longest term / most total dollars. He seems to like it here, if we can offer close enough to max dollars & legit security (plus the chance to be apart of a winner) is that a good enough pitch? I'd think so unless he's all about the money.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Honestly I wonder - given he's been traded quite frequently - if he would value term/security as much as the highest number.

I'd bring him back at 4M+ x 5-6 yrs with trade protection. He's a unicorn & I've really liked his fit. He adds alot & I think he has potential to be even better with some stability, as I said he's moved around alot.

Ultimately he's 28 turning 29 & will be looking for longest term / most total dollars. He seems to like it here, if we can offer close enough to max dollars & legit security (plus the chance to be apart of a winner) is that a good enough pitch? I'd think so unless he's all about the money.

Thing you have to wonder about if You're him, or at least I would is how do you know this is real with Vancouver? How do you know Vancouver Isn't another NJ, great one year and falls off a cliff the next?

Because that's happened to NJ

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
His underlying numbers with Calgary were brutal

They are decent since the switch to vancouver
Noted by his even strength defense which is good.

-Right shot
-With size, and stands up for teammates, and hits

I could see his agent getting a good contract for him.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Thing you have to wonder about if You're him, or at least I would is how do you know this is real with Vancouver? How do you know Vancouver Isn't another NJ, great one year and falls off a cliff the next?

New Jersey is a good team that has been saddled by a bad coach, some bad injuries and horrific goaltending. They'll be a contender next season for sure, especially with Nemec getting NHL minutes and Luke Hughes having a year of offseason training. Oh, and Hamilton will be fully healthy.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

Not worth giving him so much when you could probably sign Dillon at a hometown discount since there's been reports that he wants to play in Vancouver.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Realistically I don't see how he could demand much more than Soucy, based on repertoire.
Maybe $1m more out of stubborn-ness, and potentially $500k more due to more-imminent capflation. So that's $4.75m.*
I think that number is already an overpayment, and it's just a recipe in another Gudbranson situation. If they can get him under $4.5m I could live with it.

edit: math was off.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I like Zadorov, but he's not worth more than what he's currently making.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Player that does everything old fashioned NHL veterans love. He isn't good at the small stuff and would have been better in any other era than this one. However he is a #5 who plays high event rough hockey, and will get overpaid.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Zadorov seems to think he's better than he actually is
Literally thought this when I read the thread title

Big, slow Dman that's almost 30. I'm sure the team that signs him long term in free agency won't have any regrets. I've always liked Zadorov as a bottom pairing Dman but he's probably going to get around 4.5 million on his next deal.
Zadorov isn’t slow

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
His underlying numbers with Calgary were brutal

They are decent since the switch to vancouver
Noted by his even strength defense which is good.

-Right shot
-With size, and stands up for teammates, and hits

I could see his agent getting a good contract for him.
He shoots left

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Watch Allvin flip him at the draft for a 5th if he can't be resigned.

Somewhere like Chicago who probably could use a LD and someone to provide protection for Bedard.

A team that can provide the big contract, and sell the potential of contending in a few years, perfect for the agent to cash.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Vancouver has the best goaltender in the league, or at worst top 5. That's the clear major difference. I'd also add the current supporting cast favours Van, and a leader like Jim Rutherford who knows what it takes to support a team (meaning, a manager who can maintain that).

Not knocking NJ, I love many of their players, Jack is a treat to watch. I love Nemec & Luke aswell, both already flashing elite potential as rookies.

But ultimately Demko is a clear advantage & I'm very confident in Rutherford+Allvin+Tocchett & co. Van is more positioned in the immediacy given the age of guys like Miller, Demko, exc vs NJ's core guys who are younger & poised to have a strong window in the future.

Not worth giving him so much when you could probably sign Dillon at a hometown discount since there's been reports that he wants to play in Vancouver.

Zadorov > Dillon.

Sure, I'd take Dillon at half the price (basically 2Mx3, which he wouldn't accept) but its a downgrade imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011

Somewhere like Chicago who probably could use a LD and someone to provide protection for Bedard.

A team that can provide the big contract, and sell the potential of contending in a few years, perfect for the agent to cash.
He's already been on Chicago and they traded him away before his 1st season ended.

Reactions: Crow

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If that happens I'd bet on Toronto, Treliving already went hard after him once.

Him and Tanev actually and I expect him to do it again.

The potential contract is a concern.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
not a bit surprised. He been playing well for us and he like every UFA has the right to pursue a high contract. Hope we can sign him.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Yeah I'd like to have the player, but I'm not sure about the price he thinks he's going to get.

I will say this though there seems to be a bit of a theme with the defense Treliving is bringing in.

6"2 Bosh, 6"5 Edmudson, 6"7 Webber I think 6"6 Zadorov will be a target, to the point where I could see them acquiring his rights at the draft.

Makes me wonder about 6"8 Tyler Myers too.

Treliving has specifically targeted size.
I remember when our GM Rick Dudley had a hard on for huge defensemen, oh how I yearn for a time when, Branislav Mezei, Mathieu Biron, and Kristian Kudroc were our overdized hopes for the future, it went so well lol

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Zadorov is the typical guy to be overpaid as a UFA. There will surely be a GM who likes what he brings more than the sane price would be.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's been good but not THAT good. I'd like to have him come back, depending on price and term. Don't blame him for going for the bag though. Wonder what his ask is.

I mean, I say pay him what he's worth. He's a bottom pairing defenseman at an age where you can make a reasonable assumption this is the player he is and will be. I hope he doesn't price himself out, because I did not expect to fall in love with him as a hockey player. He's an important player, but there's a cap to manage too and ours is f***ed.

@Chaos2k7 Watching him extended(ly?) this season, you can definitely see what the scouts were seeing in him at 18. Great teammate, great competitor, strong as an ox (and knows this!), and out of nowhere, he'll make some deft offensive reads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad