Friedman: Thinks Zadorov will price himself out of Vancouver.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Zadorov seems to think he's better than he actually is
Zadorov is proving to be an extremely valuable commodity since his arrival in Vancouver. Aside from the obvious (physicality and size, net front presence, etc.), he has proven to be a very capable puck mover, he's mobile for his size, he can chip in offensively, and he is showing an increasing ability to carry the puck up ice and into the zone. He is a very good defenseman. I personally think Vancouver will pay him something close to what he thinks he's worth - because he is.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Zadorov seems to think he’s a second-pairing guy, miscast as a third-pairing Dman. The reality is he’s a good third-pairing guy and should be getting a third-pairing salary. Someone will likely overpay him though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Zadorov is proving to be an extremely valuable commodity since his arrival in Vancouver. Aside from the obvious (physicality and size, net front presence, etc.), he has proven to be a very capable puck mover, he's mobile for his size, he can chip in offensively, and he is showing an increasing ability to carry the puck up ice and into the zone. He is a very good defenseman. I personally think Vancouver will pay him something close to what he thinks he's worth - because he is.
The guy is #6 in TOI, and even strength TOI for Vancouver. But he's worth $4-5 million?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
I like him and all, but he's a #5 on a good team and he probably believes he can play a bigger role. With his unique blend of size, toughness, skating and the occasional burst of offense he will surely be given a pretty sizeable contract, I can't imagine him coming in at less than 5x5. He's the kind of player good teams say goodbye and good luck to at the end of their contract.
I agree with the general direction of your post, but his role on the Canucks is already not that of a "traditional" #5. He may not log PP minutes, etc., but he is a difference maker on the ice, and not only due to his physicality. He can carry the puck, he is solid on the breakout, and he can chip in offensively alongside all the rest. Another way to think of it: we have at least three #3/4's (Soucy, Cole, Zadorov - Myers more than has the tools but lacks the kit). At this point, the only clear 5/6 we have playing is Juulsen, and he is fast becoming a good one at that. Myers can pull his weight at that rate of icetime, but I'm not convinced he has a long future in the NHL after this contract, purely due to the chaos he brings to the ice, which is not what you want from a bottom pairing defenseman.

Last edited:

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
The guy is #6 in TOI, and even strength TOI for Vancouver. But he's worth $4-5 million?
By 1 minute. And that's counting Myers, whose icetime is way down (in fact, he may be benched). Some players are more replaceable than others. Zadorov brings a combination of skills that are valuable, and difficult to replace. Plus, he is clearly a leader in the room and brings a winning mentality. Not sure why people have a problem with a guy trying to get paid what he's worth and being unwilling to just knuckle under - the Canucks defense has been dramatically improved since he has arrived, and it's no fluke. The Flames didn't offer him a contract, have a questionable team culture, and they sucked. He had every reason to want out of there, and his life (and that of his family) is clearly better now than it was when he was in that situation - just ask him. We should all hope for the same freedom, and I certainly don't begrudge him for taking it, especially when he wasn't offered a contract in the first place.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Zadorov is great to have around when he’s a bargain. Contenders can’t afford to overpay guys like him. But I’m sure there’s a lottery team in dire need of defense that will pay him to play their middle pair.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Zads is great for like Graves money, maybe even Forsling dough if reasonable term, but he seems to want six milly plus with term, no thank you.
Just came here to say that Graves isn't working out as a #4 for us at 4.5m, and we are likely in the hunt for another LD in the offseason. I don't know who would be 2nd pair and who would be 3rd, but I could see us paying the same money and term to Zadorov. He has some features we are really lacking on the Pens. Putting him opposite Karlsson or Letang would let both parties do what they do best. That would allow us to play Pettersson top pairing at say 22-24 min a night, and the both Graves and Zadorov at 18-19min.

Pens had the cap space to re-sign Guentzel if they so chose. Absent bringing him back as a UFA or some big fish winger trade, that money is going to get spent on D and in the bottom 6.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The NHL lacks top 4 D right now. There is not 128 defensemen that deserve top 4 time.

Makes guys like Zadarov valuable where they are on that fringe. If his #1 priority is money there is multiple teams that will sign him.

I wonder if he'd go to Montreal they need defensemen and to have a guy like him playing physical could really help out the young guys.

Reactions: Kegs

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Zadorov is great to have around when he’s a bargain. Contenders can’t afford to overpay guys like him. But I’m sure there’s a lottery team in dire need of defense that will pay him to play their middle pair.
Exactly! Guys like Zadorv and Gudbranson get over we paid by lottery teams. But really they are only bottom pairing guys. If a club is paying these types of D like a top four then that club isn’t a contender.

Reactions: tucker3434

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
the canucks are not going to pay Z more than what market value will indicate, in fact I don't believe they would be terribly concerned if Z was not here after this season.

Reactions: HitterD and Kegs

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Exactly! Guys like Zadorv and Gudbranson get over we paid by lottery teams. But really they are only bottom pairing guys. If a club is paying these types of D like a top four then that club isn’t a contender.
Zadorov is a better skater, better puck handler, and better puck mover than Gudbranson. Agreed that they are broadly the same "type", but Zadorov is an upgrade over Gudbranson in just about every way.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think he's a team need and the Nucks will overpay him a bit - Myers walks.

Zadorov has a lot of skills and a post-whistle swagger that I haven't seen since Bieksa.

If he flops in the playoffs maybe consider a different option but chances are he will be a priority signing with Joshua and Blueger.

Reactions: RooBicks

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I agree with the general direction of your post, but his role on the Canucks is already not that of a "traditional" #5. He may not log PP minutes, etc., but he is a difference maker on the ice, and not only due to his physicality. He can carry the puck, he is solid on the breakout, and he can chip in offensively alongside all the rest. Another way to think of it: we have at least three #3/4's (Soucy, Cole, Zadorov - Myers more than has the tools but lacks the kit). At this point, the only clear 5/6 we have playing is Juulsen, and he is fast becoming a good one at that. Myers can pull his weight at that rate of icetime, but I'm not convinced he has a long future in the NHL after this contract, purely due to the chaos he brings to the ice, which is not what you want from a bottom pairing defenseman.
Soucy is one of the best moves in recent history. Very good player at a steal of a cap hit. Even if Zadorov gets a bit of an overpay the total cap room allocated to the bottom 4 defense is still cheap.

As long as Benning doesn't come back to negotiate a Myers extension the Canucks should have a solid blue line locked up for the near future.

Reactions: RooBicks

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

4M? Yes. I think you could justify that pretty easily. Especially with the cap going up. The closer you get to 5M, the more you want to look elsewhere.

I fully expect Zadorov will get 5-6 from a desperate team. I just hope it isn't Vancouver.

Reactions: Kegs

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
In a perfect world, the Nucks manage to retain Myers for $1.75-$2.2 million over a season or three. Using the near $4 million in savings to give Zadorov a nice $1.5 million bump to $5.25 million a year and giving the remaining $2.5 million in whole or part to Hronek to bring him to that $6.5 to $7.1 million he's possibly worth.

This keeps the Canucks D core at this stage of things without a significant loss and no increase in actual cap allowing them to either add on the wings or use the savings to weather the next 2 years of increased dead cap on OEL

But the world isn't perfect and agents are greedy while GMs can not control themselves.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Soucy is one of the best moves in recent history. Very good player at a steal of a cap hit. Even if Zadorov gets a bit of an overpay the total cap room allocated to the bottom 4 defense is still cheap.

As long as Benning doesn't come back to negotiate a Myers extension the Canucks should have a solid blue line locked up for the near future.
Agreed, Soucy has been an absolute stud. If he can stay healthy, it makes an instant and dramatic difference.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If its Myers at 3m vs Zadorov at 5m, I'm keeping Myers.

If both want 4mil then im keeping Z.

Hopefully the Canucks can find a way to have both at under 7.5 mil combined AAV per year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Zadorov is a better skater, better puck handler, and better puck mover than Gudbranson. Agreed that they are broadly the same "type", but Zadorov is an upgrade over Gudbranson in just about every way.
Does Zadorov think the game any better than Gudbranson though? IMO they are pretty close in what they provide.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Does Zadorov think the game any better than Gudbranson though? IMO they are pretty close in what they provide.
I think people are just massively underrating the guy if they say he's Gudbranson 2.0. Gudbranson's career high in goals is 6 and points is 19. And that career high was a deviation - he averaged around 10 for his career. Zadorov's career high for goals is 14 (he's averaged more goals/year than G's career high) and he's averaged close to 20 points per season during his career. They are completely different animals from the standpoint of offensive contribution. And, based on my observation at least (and I think it's born out in the stats), he's much better carrying the puck and starting the play from his own end and in transition, and he's more willing to chip in by sliding down from the point, etc., to make plays from the top of the circles/slot. He's what all those people who kept trading for G hoped they would be getting and never actually did.

And yes, I do think he thinks the game well. He understands his role and seems willing to try and build his way towards improving within it without abandoning the fundamentals that keep him in the league.

Reactions: Musampa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad