Friedman: Thinks Zadorov will price himself out of Vancouver.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Must be a slow news day/week.

Like many others i imagine, whether or not the nux will keep an average-ish player like Zadorov during the middle of the season is up there with wondering if the sky will be blue tomorrow for me

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Graves money is very reasonable for someone with his talent during UFA.

Still a bit too high imo. I like Zadorov but something like 4 x 4 is the highest I'd go. This is a player playing 17 min a night. He's a #5 with an interesting skillset, likeable player and from all reports good teammate but paying bottom pairing defencemen that much is not good cap allocation.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I just realized the other day the cap is going up 5 mil next year and then 5 mill the year after. Zadorov brings certain elements that GMs covet.

He's gonna get at least $5m x 5 years, and I expect it to be even higher. He's about to turn 29.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I think a team would be happy with getting him at 4 years for $4 million, he'd be slightly overpaid but not outrageously so. I'm guessing since it will likely be his last big contract he'd want to get a 7 year contract at $4-5 million or a shorter term 4-5 years @ $6-6.5 million. Either would be a mistake for teams.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
On the most recent 32 thoughts podcast It was suggested that Zadorov is not long for Vancouver, he said he believs Zadorov will price himself out of Vancouver.

I wonder what he thinks he will get on the open market.

I'd bet my bottom dollar Treliving will be hard after him, I expect the full court press to be on for him.
Unfortunate for the Leafs

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Given the choice btw keeping him or going after Tanev, it's Tanev everyday of the week. Under Tocchet, I would prefer Myers over Z.

Bond

May 10, 2012
From a Canucks POV, that would be the absolute ceiling I'd go to. I think he will want more and hit the open market.
I think if the Canucks were willing to do that it’d be done. That’s an expensive #5

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Daily Zadorov updates now. Yesterday was he likes Mackinnon more than Mcdavid... and now this. Hopefully tomorrow isnt his god awful lousy politics..

Anyways Ive seen many of his games this season and he was kind of a mess his first while in Vancouver but has actually stepped up lately and played better. A decent #4 if he keeps this recent play up

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Someone is gonna overpay because of his play style. My guess is New Jersey

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Seems like the type of guy GMs love to overpay. He’s realized this and is gonna cash in, good on him. Anyone ever notice that GMs are bad at their jobs?

Reactions: M2Beezy

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Seems like the type of guy GMs love to overpay. He’s realized this and is gonna cash in, good on him. Anyone ever notice that GMs are bad at their jobs?
If this guy gets a GM job again...

1710553982855.png

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He’s a really good #5. The question is what does he want. For 2.5-3.0, you’re pretty happy with his abilities. But he’s already been making more than that, and Gudbranson got 4.0. Some GM obsessed with big dmen is going to give him an absolute boat anchor of a contract

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He's good as a #5 dman and that's how he should be paid. We have Brisebois who if healthy next season can take his spot and he's dirt cheap. Not physical but fairly reliable defensively. He and Juulsen can be a cheap 3rd pairing.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Gavrikov might be a good comparable but he signed a shorter deal to bet on himself he could get more once the cap go berserk

5,875 x 2

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
Brings back random memories. When he was drafted, I still remember him going on (Schopp and the Bulldog?) and they were telling him that Pegula had plenty of money.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He's not pricing himself out in a couple of months. He'd be worth the same.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Big, slow Dman that's almost 30. I'm sure the team that signs him long term in free agency won't have any regrets. I've always liked Zadorov as a bottom pairing Dman but he's probably going to get around 4.5 million on his next deal.

in a vacuum, i think $4.5 mill is a decent AAV for him, although pretty much the max i’d pay.

but he’s a LHD and would be our our third pair LD. he’s not playing above hughes and soucy. and that’s just too much for a team with our cap commitments to pay for your #5.

for a #4, which he could could be in a vacuum but not here, i’d do $4.5 mill in a rising cap. and for a #5 that’s a RHD i might even do it, but your third pair LD is supposed to be where you save money. it’s the most easily and cheaply replaceable guy in your top six D. you can get an ian cole to be your third pair LD for $3 million, and that’s already a bit of a splurge for a higher end guy.

too bad though, zad's fun to watch and brings an element i’d like to keep around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad