Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid: Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Then just say you're ok with the trade because you're willing to give the new ex-Flyers running the team the benefit of the doubt. That's a totally subjective thing and everyone is entitled to give them whatever benefit of the doubt that they want. But instead you said this was a good trade, brought important culture and leadership that has tangible benefits and only now retreating to this.
I'm not retreating on anything. Those things are why you would trade for a player like EJ. I also have not once said it was a good trade. It's a very meh trade that means very little. Yet this board just needs to make a mountain out of every little molehill

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I might be reading into this more than necessary. But this reads as slightly concerning to me. Kind of sounds like they thought there was potential for value there
Kuznetsov got moved, so he should’ve thought that he could. But why drag him? Unless the real intention was to get him to not report.

Also, what’s the cost to retain the salary to you? Rather buy him out than take a 7th to tie up another retention slot. Probably trying to get that 4th back.

If I am the agent, I am really pissed off. He should be asked to be loaned to another AHL team.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You should always trade them if you believe you are getting positive value back for them. And clearly the team thinks they are with EJ. What is he imparting? No idea. Nobody on this board knows.

You believe the Flyers should trade any mid rounder for positive value.......which is fine. I don't disagree. I am down to trade every 1st the Flyers have for positive value. But Erik Johnson is NOT positive value. Certainly not for a 4th. There are waivers better than him. He is straight up bad.

Nobody on this board knows how Johnson will wave his wand and transform the locker room for the 6 weeks he's here, changing the career arcs of the young guys, while getting adjusted to coaches and players he doesn't know. But we can have an inkling that sounds like team-fed claptrap. The real truth is the team doesn't know either -- they've just sniffed their own farts with this logic for decades. "Culture" is their Potemkin village.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

When you already turned down 25/29 + future 2nd for a 40 point nearing 30 year old 1C.....

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Spoke to Berube at a Flyers Alumni event tonight. Really nice and gracious dude. Asked him point blank what the offer for Laughton this summer was and he said it was their worst 1st and a mid round pick and that they were “unloading a bad contract”. He also indicated that had they traded for Laughton, he “wouldn’t have had to deal with Hayes” and laughed and said he might still be coaching had that happened. Found that pretty interesting.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

Keith Jones was telling the truth on WIP. This guy ain’t ever getting traded. He said he told the players the rebuild was BS, and they can’t lie to the room.

Wtf are they talking about? Laughton was instrumental in bringing about the culture change? News flash you goofs, Laughton has been here the whole time! he's been part of every failed culture you think the locker room has had for a decade! I don't understand what are they even talking about anymore.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Turns out the true rebuild was the Laughtons we made along the way.

God the reveal of their whole mentality about Scott f***ing Laughton made this overall mild deadline even less palatable. It's honestly the worst of all their decisions.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Spoke to Berube at a Flyers Alumni event tonight. Really nice and gracious dude. Asked him point blank what the offer for Laughton this summer was and he said it was their worst 1st and a mid round pick and that they were “unloading a bad contract”. He also indicated that had they traded for Laughton, he “wouldn’t have had to deal with Hayes” and laughed and said he might still be coaching had that happened. Found that pretty interesting.

Then you woke up?

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Then you woke up?
No, it’s an alumni event called “Friday Night Fights” that they put on every year. Schultz, Berube, Bernie, Bob Kelly, Brashear, Clement, Moose Dupont and others all were all there. Matthew Barnaby was there absolute shitfaced. Had a nice convo with Riley Cote about the CBD business. Anyway, pretty much all of them were mingling talking to fans.

Made some nice small talk with Chief during the cocktail hour and then asked the question. Kind of expected him to give a nothing answer, but he surprised me and was seemingly honest. That’s what he said.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Yeah, I think we just have to accept that Laughton is gonna retire a Flyer. Whatever. Not good business, but also not shocking at all
I can’t accept that.

If I accept that, then Briere is just another in a long line of bad GMs who can’t make the hard decisions and we might as well stick a fork in this rebuild or retool or whatever the hell you want to call it, because our cup chances are next to nill.

My hope is that the price for Laughton just wasn’t that great. Lot of rental forwards went for bargain bin prices. Even the return on Hertl was shockingly bad.

Laughton has not having a great season; some would even say he’s been bad. My hope is that rather than admit that, Briere is trying to talk up his leadership and his meaning to this team and when we end the year as a feel good story, maybe one of those real contenders that flames out early thinks “Laughton is exactly what we need!”

I said back this summer I’d be disappointed in Briere if Laughton was still a Flyer post-deadline and I am indeed disappointed. Feels like a missed opportunity to get value and to signal the rebuild is real and going to be done proper-ish (or at least as proper as the Flyers are capable of doing it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad