Speculation: These young Leafs Get branded for taking Boston 7 games from being down 3-1???????

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That's fair, I totally get that. It was a super close series though so it can't be quite true that Boston is awesome, great blend of youth and experience, best line in hockey, maybe the best team in the NHL, young guys stepped up and so on and so on and the Leafs ... we're trash.
Its garbage to be honest and when I look at our youth the only one who considerably under performed was Matthews. Possibly Dermott as wells but he had some positive moments too.

This was a tight matchup from the start, when your star doesn't show up and your goaltending shits the bed, you're in tough.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The better team won the series. We were lucky to have pushed this to 7-games... you just can't have a checklist as long as the above and expect to win.

A couple of other key points I took from watching the series:
1) we failed to get sticks into passing lanes the entire f*cking series, with the exception of the 3rd period of game six. That was literally the only period of the whole series that the Leafs played like a team capable of competing for a cup
2) we could not sustain any pressure in the offensive zone at all. I'd love to know the total cycle-time of the two teams throughout the series
3) sooooooo many stupid, unforced, turnovers​

Well all that falls under we sucked but like I said, we were still one good period of hockey away from defeating a really good Bruins team. Now hoping they can send Stamkos packing.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Former Calgary Flames president of hockey operations Brian Burke comments on the Toronto Maple Leafs:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
All the slimey media like Kypreos and Cox and Simmons are back after that great series.

You have all been taken right to the cleaners . This is the time these pieces of crap pounce when emotion is running high.

All you have to realize is that beating Boston 2 straight after being down 3-1 was pure battle. These guys did not quit, or whine, or pout, or make excuses. They were disappointed because they wanted it so bad.

I'm goong to agree with Gardiner and blame the game 7 loss on him though. He destroyed our bench with his gambles.

Trade him, give the minutes to Dermott and lets just move on with this build.

The media is playing on fans emotion directly after a loss. Don't bite! This is a good team that will be even better defensively next year, while getting younger in the process.

Boston just destroys t-bay tonight ha. Don't let how good Boston was in the series against us let you conclude that we lost because we are bad.

Lots of emotion and trouble makers out to cause trouble it seems to me.
Young Leafs?
It was the vets and Marner that took the series to 7.
The kids (save for Marner/Kapanen and maybe Johnsson) did absolutely nothing to help the cause.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Its garbage to be honest and when I look at our youth the only one who considerably under performed was Matthews. Possibly Dermott as wells but he had some positive moments too.

This was a tight matchup from the start, when your star doesn't show up and your goaltending ****s the bed, you're in tough.
Dermott had no leash that series, he would make an error and was immediately put on the bench. It was kind of fascinating, the errors he was making were no different than Hainsey for instance, yet he was plastered to the bench.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yet wants to trade Gardiner for one bad game.

I could sit back and watch him return with no problem with it but when he starts playing riverboat gambler hockey next year he will get booed out.

His salary will be up around $5,000,000 next contract. He has trade value and I'm not sure most fans would accept him for 5 or 6 more years at that money.

Trading him might be good asset management at this point. He is one of the best skating defensemen in the league though also.

He frustrates us sometimes thats for certain.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think gardiner goes because he asks out. Good player. But needs a change

Sep 18, 2009
Gardiner was great in game 6
Cost us the series in game 7
Leafs will never win a cup with such a liability
Can't wait until he's gone

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I've been watching the Jets ever since the Leafs got the boot.

1.) Laine is bust right now. His shots have zero velocity. Even Don Cherry was like "wtf" about his shots on coach's corner. He looks tired out there. He's been grabbing some assists to keep his pace up but he doesn't have his killer shot and release right now that makes him elite.

2.) Ehlers would be on the 4th line if he played the way he's playing on Babcock's team. He rushes it then gives it away off a bad pass sending the other team up the ice. Playing careless.

3.) Connor is all flash no finnish. You can pretty much ignore him and let him dangle around and be confident he'll give the puck away on his own.

Connor and Ehlers have combined for zero goals so far this off season.

The difference is these three have the rest of the team dominating. If Matthews, Nylander and Marner get tired or get shut down.....we're done. We don't have a Wheeler, Scheifele and Big Buf to take over the game for us.

Can you imagine if Marner and Nylander combined for zero goals? We would never hear the end of it. Articles would be written until Marner turned 50.

Our big 3 are getting treated very unfairly. They turned us from a basement team to a playoff team in one season after finishing dead last. Turned us into a top 10 the season after that.

They're doing just fine. Let them keep developing.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I could sit back and watch him return with no problem with it but when he starts playing riverboat gambler hockey next year he will get booed out.

His salary will be up around $5,000,000 next contract. He has trade value and I'm not sure most fans would accept him for 5 or 6 more years at that money.

Trading him might be good asset management at this point. He is one of the best skating defensemen in the league though also.

He frustrates us sometimes thats for certain.

He has similar stats to Fowler who got 8x 6.5

I think gards is thinking 6 x8. Not 5 x 6

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Boston just destroys t-bay tonight ha. Don't let how good Boston was in the series against us let you conclude that we lost because we are bad.

And then there was Game #2. Tampa (along with other conference teams) seems like its an OK team too. The idea that we got beat by the one-and-only really strong team in the East (Boston) is a little soft imho. Would have thought we've learned by now.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Tampa (along with other conference teams) seems like its an OK team too. The idea that we got beat by the one-and-only really strong team in the East (Boston) is a little soft imho. Would have thought we've learned by now.

Boston and the Jets were debatably the two best teams downnthe stretch. Thats who i am picking to play for the cup this uear anyways

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Thought Babcock was out coached in the last game. Had the wrong personnel on the ice. Not enough Matthews and Dermott, and certainly too much of Gardiner

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Boston and the Jets were debatably the two best teams downnthe stretch. Thats who i am picking to play for the cup this uear anyways

OK, but doesn't mean that there aren't other really good teams in the Eastern and Western Conferences.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think gardiner goes because he asks out. Good player. But needs a change

It's not usually as simple as, trade request made and trade request met, though. It's a bridge to cross should it ever come to that, but I'd hope any trade of Gardiner would mean they feel confident in having a replacement.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Gardiner was great in game 6
Cost us the series in game 7
Leafs will never win a cup with such a liability
Can't wait until he's gone

I do so enjoy how Gardiner cost us the series for one bad game and our sieve of a goaltender who completely feel apart in game 7 and leaked bad goals throughout the series go's unmentioned

If Andersen plays like that no Dcore is going to be good enough to win a cup

All this Gardiner **** needs to stop because trading him makes us significantly worse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad