Speculation: These young Leafs Get branded for taking Boston 7 games from being down 3-1???????

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
im not bitter at the team but i don't like how everyones reaching for the moon.

We had a chance to win and played like **** in that 3rd period, it wasn't because we were young or whatever, we didn't bring our best in that last period simple as that.

We got another year to look ahead to but if we miss the playoffs/get tossed in the 1st round, id like to start seeing some changes

Another rebuild?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This is a results oriented business. The goal is to win the cup. They failed. There's nothing to feel " good" about.

I can't be the only one who wishes they would've lost in game 5. All they did was tortured their fans more.

Reactions: Tak7

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
There's no way around it. We need a number 1, ideally right-handed, D.

The Leafs' forward balance is off. Nylander is an obvious trade-piece. He just doesn't fit on this team. Sell high.

Andersen couldn't get it done in Anaheim when they were true contenders. I don't think he'll make the key saves for us either. He's had two chances to show up in the playoffs for us and he's crumbled twice. I would strongly consider a swap.

I agree with most people who are saying this team is young and was still the underdog. However, we're getting to the point where players need to be evaluated for the roles they play going forward, meaning that assets need to be managed to fill holes. Management have to be more aggressive this summer in this regard (ex, Nylander is a starting point to acquire a d-man).

The Leafs can be true contenders next season with the right moves. They are not that far off. But there are a few key positions, like the lack of a top-pairing D and our questionable starting goalie, that we need to stop accepting mediocrity with. These two areas MUST be addressed, and the surplus forward assets, as mentioned, are key.

A third thing, related to the forward balance and that could be addressed, is the general softness among the forward group. We could use a Simmonds or Lucic-type top six forward. But this one is less pressing, and certainly getting Tavares would be amazing regardless.

Big summer!

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
We were one of two teams with a pair of 50 point plus dmen. Polak was weak and is behind the game for our style of play.

Carrick had really significant shot suppression numbers and should have played over polak.

Hainsey wore down, Zaitsev was injured and took a little time to wind up afterwards.

Dermott was raw but came along nicely. Had a large differential in goals for and against to the positive side.

Getting Polak out next season will be a significant help. This defense keeps the high risk scoring chances down at about a average level.

This teams defense needs to just grow. Weak???? Far from it!!!

Here is where you lose me with your argument.

You start off by telling us how great our defensemen are and use the offensive production of 2 of them to showcase their ability.
In case you, or anyone, didn't notice, it wasn't our lack of offense from the blue line that was devastating.
It was the void in defensive ability of our collective blue line that was.
It's not to say that having defensemen who can put up points is a bad thing, on the contrary. It's just that you'd hope that at least 3 or 4 of the guys patrolling the blue line could actually play defense.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
The Leafs would have played the Pens under the old playoff (which people were still complaining about).

Not really that much better of a match up.
and thats fine if we did but we're one of the top seeded teams in the conference, we shouldn't have to go play the #2 in the 1st round.

I think we might have done alright against Pitt too especially having the 1st 2 games at home. The thing that was bad with the 1-8 was back when there was the SouthEast division sometimes the south division winner had less points than some teams battling for a playoff spot or late seeded team But they only got that seed cause their division was soft.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
There's no way around it. We need a number 1, ideally right-handed, D.

The Leafs' forward balance is off. Nylander is an obvious trade-piece. He just doesn't fit on this team. Sell high.

Andersen couldn't get it done in Anaheim when they were true contenders. I don't think he'll make the key saves for us either. He's had two chances to show up in the playoffs for us and he's crumbled twice. I would strongly consider a swap.

I agree with most people who are saying this team is young and was still the underdog. However, we're getting to the point where players need to be evaluated for the roles they play going forward, meaning that assets need to be managed to fill holes. Management have to be more aggressive this summer in this regard (ex, Nylander is a starting point to acquire a d-man).

The Leafs can be true contenders next season with the right moves. They are not that far off. But there are a few key positions, like the lack of a top-pairing D and our questionable starting goalie, that we need to stop accepting mediocrity with. These two areas MUST be addressed, and the surplus forward assets, as mentioned, are key.

A third thing, related to the forward balance and that could be addressed, is the general softness among the forward group. We could use a Simmonds or Lucic-type top six forward. But this one is less pressing, and certainly getting Tavares would be amazing regardless.

Big summer!

Yeah, I kinda feel like Nylander could be the one to go. Gotta give up something good to get something good. Matthews/Marner just seem to fit better, like you said I guess. I like Freddy though...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This is a results oriented business. The goal is to win the cup. They failed. There's nothing to feel " good" about.

I can't be the only one who wishes they would've lost in game 5. All they did was tortured their fans more.

I personally found this series to be emotional torture.

I never gave them a chance against Boston, but when Kapanen scored that shorty, it was the first time in about 3 months that I believed we could actually beat Boston.

And then it just went so cruelly wrong. It hurt more because it was 7. I think getting to game 7 has changed people's perspectives of what this team is and isn't, around here.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Simmons, Cox, and Kypreos do what they do, because certain fans give them the chance to.

If nobody paid any attention to them, they'd get no coverage.

Instead, some here read / listen to everything they say, and then create threads when those guys corectly push the right buttons

Reactions: Cams and Liminality

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Here is how I look at the series:

1. The Bruins were the better team coming into the series
2. Our best forwards were not our best forwards
3. Matthews had 1 g and 1 a in 7 games
4. Willie had 1 g and 2 a and shied away from contact
5. The Bruins took advantage of our weak D
6. Freddy was great in 4 of 7 games and was awful in the 3 loses
7. Kadri missed 3 games thanks to his suspension
8. JVR and TyBo did virtually nothing 5 v 5
9. Our coaches struggled and could have been better
10. Refs were awful

Yet we were one frickin good period away from winning the series. I'd sign up to be in the same situation going into the 3rd period of game 7 next year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

10. Refs were awful

Yet we were one frickin good period away from winning the series. I'd sign up to be in the same situation going into the 3rd period of game 7 next year.

Bang on I'd say
I wasn't and am not upset about the loss. I didn't think they were ready to go on a run yet, and they clearly showed they're not. I am more concerned about what they do going forward with holes to fill

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

No it gave a couple players an opportunity to prove they're playoffs performers.

Unfortunately, for some vets they came up empty and but it does make them available without feeling you're giving away a playoffs engine.

The 23 and under are exempt from this scrutiny.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think the Leafs team defense including their forwards lost them the series. Andy to a lesser extent too.

Forwards were not covering for their defense... Boston on the other hand always had 1 forward on the line that was covering and ready to cover a pinching defender or getting back to cover a chip in behind the defense.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

10. Refs were awful

I would say Tyler Bozak and JVR did more at even strength than most of the Leafs line other than Marner's.

They had a lot of offensive zone pressure which can't be said for many of the Leafs line. Bozak also put up 2 goals and 2 assists, JVR got 3 goals and 1 assist. They weren't the problem offensively.

Some quick Tyler Bozak stats at even strength during playoffs:

2 goals
Can't find even strength assist production for some reason
58.6% faceoff
53.5% C.F. (+8.5% relative)
53% offensive zone starts (not really sheltered)

Those really high Corsi % and near 50% usage in offensive zone starts points at Bozak's line spending a lot of time in the offensive zone getting shots on net even though they didn't start the shift there.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would say Tyler Bozak and JVR did more at even strength than most of the Leafs line other than Marner's.

They had a lot of offensive zone pressure which can't be said for many of the Leafs line. Bozak also put up 2 goals and 2 assists, JVR got 3 goals and 1 assist. They weren't the problem offensively.

Some quick Tyler Bozak stats at even strength during playoffs:

2 goals
Can't find even strength assist production for some reason
58.6% faceoff
53.5% C.F. (+8.5% relative)
53% offensive zone starts (not really sheltered)

Those really high Corsi % and near 50% usage in offensive zone starts points at Bozak's line spending a lot of time in the offensive zone getting shots on net even though they didn't start the shift there.

TyBo (-1) had 2 ES points and JVR (-4) had 1. TyBo did shine in game #5 but we needed more for these two vets given they were playing against the Bruins 3rd line most of the time.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
TyBo (-1) had 2 ES points and JVR (-4) had 1. TyBo did shine in game #5 but we needed more for these two vets given they were playing against the Bruins 3rd line most of the time.
He had 2 even strength goals that were pretty important ones, they generated a ton of shots as the stats show but Rask played great.

The Bozak line was the least of the Leafs concern. Their biggest concern was the entire first line other than Hyman not showing up at all. The Bozak produced at close to the pace they did all season.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He had 2 even strength goals that were pretty important ones, they generated a ton of shots as the stats show but Rask played great.

The Bozak line was the least of the Leafs concern. Their biggest concern was the entire first line other than Hyman not showing up at all. The Bozak produced at close to the pace they did all season.

Agree with what you are saying about Matthews and Nylander but they are kids and they went up against better competition. In the playoffs your 3rd and 4th lines need to be difference makers. I thought we had better forward depth and was hoping TyBo's line could have made more of a difference. Afterall TyBo and JVR were playing for new contracts.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Agree with what you are saying about Matthews and Nylander but they are kids and they went up against better competition. In the playoffs your 3rd and 4th lines need to be difference makers. I thought we had better forward depth and was hoping TyBo's line could have made more of a difference. Afterall TyBo and JVR were playing for new contracts.
Yes they are kids, however they were also team leaders in a lot of offensive statistics and didn't come close to matching their regular season numbers.

Bozak and JVR were 3rd line players during the regular season and were during the playoffs. They both got like 15 minutes of ice time or something like that (similar numbers in playoffs and regular season) and produced at a similar pace.

They did make a difference, JvR led the team in goals I think (maybe tied with Patty?) and both of them were probably top 5 on the team in total points. Not much more you can expect from your 3rd line players.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes they are kids, however they were also team leaders in a lot of offensive statistics and didn't come close to matching their regular season numbers.

Bozak and JVR were 3rd line players during the regular season and were during the playoffs. They both got like 15 minutes of ice time or something like that (similar numbers in playoffs and regular season) and produced at a similar pace.

They did make a difference, JvR led the team in goals I think (maybe tied with Patty?) and both of them were probably top 5 on the team in total points. Not much more you can expect from your 3rd line players.

Ok I am not going to convince you but I would argue that TyBo and JVR are closer to 2nd liners on most teams and thus should excel against true 3rd liners.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Ok I am not going to convince you but I would argue that TyBo and JVR are closer to 2nd liners on most teams and thus should excel against true 3rd liners.
I agree with that and I would say their production was that of a 2nd liner. Produced 4 points in 7 games so a 46 point pace. Only Rielly, Marleau and Marner scored more points than Bozak and JVR.

I feel like there are a lot of people to blame but I wouldnt say JVR and Bozak were the problem. If the Leafs first line was producing normally, the production from Bozak's line would seem like the difference maker. I don't think too many teams have their third liners in the top 5 for points on the team. That is scoring depth right there.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad