Speculation: These young Leafs Get branded for taking Boston 7 games from being down 3-1???????

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
All the slimey media like Kypreos and Cox and Simmons are back after that great series.

You have all been taken right to the cleaners . This is the time these pieces of crap pounce when emotion is running high.

All you have to realize is that beating Boston 2 straight after being down 3-1 was pure battle. These guys did not quit, or whine, or pout, or make excuses. They were disappointed because they wanted it so bad.

I'm goong to agree with Gardiner and blame the game 7 loss on him though. He destroyed our bench with his gambles.

Trade him, give the minutes to Dermott and lets just move on with this build.

The media is playing on fans emotion directly after a loss. Don't bite! This is a good team that will be even better defensively next year, while getting younger in the process.

Boston just destroys t-bay tonight ha. Don't let how good Boston was in the series against us let you conclude that we lost because we are bad.

Lots of emotion and trouble makers out to cause trouble it seems to me.

Last edited:

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
All the slimey media like Kypreos and Cox and Simmons are back after that great series.

You have all been taken rigjt to the cleaners . This is the time these pieces of crap pounce when emotionbis running high.

All you have to realize is that beating Boston 2 straight after being down 3-1 was pure battle. These guys did not quit, or whine, or pout, or make excuses. They were disappointed because they wanted it so bad.

I'm goong to agree with Gardiner and blame the game 7 loss on him though. He destroyed our bench with his gambles.

Trade him, givebthe minutes to Dermott and lets just move on with this build.

The media is playing on fans emotion directly after a loss. Don't bite! This is a good team that will be even better defensively next year, while getting younger in the process.

Boston just destroys t-bay tonight ha. Don't let how good Boston was in the series against us let you conclude that we lost because we are bad.

Lots of emotion and trouble makes out it seems to me. See you all in the fall.

don't ya know
? Gardiners great, according to most leaf fans of HF.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Tampa needs to completely gut their defence. Simply not good enough. Bergeron line had their way with them yesterday. No answers. Look lost. Overmatched. Yet don’t see those headlines.

Hedman just got nominated for the Norris...its been one game...their d was never a known area of weakness like ours...they have McDonough on the 2nd pair...they have an increadibly high potential young d man in Sergachev...its apples and oranges.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hedman just got nominated for the Norris...its been one game...their d was never a known area of weakness like ours...they have McDonough on the 2nd pair...they have an increadibly high potential young d man in Sergachev...its apples and oranges.

We were one of two teams with a pair of 50 point plus dmen. Polak was weak and is behind the game for our style of play.

Carrick had really significant shot suppression numbers and should have played over polak.

Hainsey wore down, Zaitsev was injured and took a little time to wind up afterwards.

Dermott was raw but came along nicely. Had a large differential in goals for and against to the positive side.

Getting Polak out next season will be a significant help. This defense keeps the high risk scoring chances down at about a average level.

This teams defense needs to just grow. Weak???? Far from it!!!

Reactions: Confucius

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Media wanted Boston to win from the first drop of the puck. Every interview every take was for Boston.

I didn't notice that but I instantly see right through the attempts to find fault with the Leafs and stir up crap.

Boston was the best team in the league for a long time this season and it hasn't changed in these playoffs yet.

We took them 7 and done a respectable job shutting down the best line in hockey.

That was a good series and something has to crack in game 7 but you don't want it to be your team.

Fact is that 15 teams crack and only one wins. Great series and I don't have to over analyze it personally.

I know we will be good again next year without even trying to guess who we add via Ufa etc.

We will be better defensively by subtraction is a personal view i have.

Aaltonen centering Kappy and Johnsson could be our fourth line and play very well defensively.

This teams depth is through the roof. I don't care about media that much.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We were one of two teams with a pair of 50 point plus dmen. Polak was weak and is behind the game for our style of play.

Carrick had really significant shot suppression numbers and should have played over polak.

Hainsey wore down, Zaitsev was injured and took a little time to wind up afterwards.

Dermott was raw but came along nicely. Had a large differential in goals for and against to the positive side.

Getting Polak out next season will be a significant help. This defense keeps the high risk scoring chances down at about a average level.

This teams defense needs to just grow. Weak???? Far from it!!!

Leafs need 2 or 3 defenders.

Hainsey should not be playing 1st. pairing.
Zaitsev can play 2nd. pairing if he's 100%

Rielly Leafs only defender who can play 1st. pairing
Gardiner is both excellent and dreadful, on alternating plays. Unreliable.
Dermott a rookie who looked like he should move up the line-up.

Carrick and Polak should both be gone, one because the coach loves him and one because he doesn't.
Like last year Carrick isn't good enough for Babcock to play him if anyone else is available, ex. Polak.

Internal options for next year if Leafs don't make a transaction:

Borgman, Liljegren, Holl, Rosen.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The team lost a series against a Stanley Cup contender and pushed them to the limit. We were underdogs in the series

For the most part all the underdogs lost, Leafs however may have handled the favorites the best.

IMO, the Bruins were always going to be the toughest match-up for the Leafs. That is why I was hoping the Bruins were going to overtake the Lightning.

I don't care about the regular season head-to-head as the playoffs <> regular season.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
They got branded because they had the lead 3 times in the game and blew it each time simple as that, this morale victory bs is a cop out for those in la la land

Reactions: KPower

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Hard to win when 4 goals isn't enough.

im not bitter at the team but i don't like how everyones reaching for the moon.

We had a chance to win and played like shit in that 3rd period, it wasn't because we were young or whatever, we didn't bring our best in that last period simple as that.

We got another year to look ahead to but if we miss the playoffs/get tossed in the 1st round, id like to start seeing some changes

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
im not bitter at the team but i don't like how everyones reaching for the moon.

We had a chance to win and played like **** in that 3rd period, it wasn't because we were young or whatever, we didn't bring our best in that last period simple as that.

We got another year to look ahead to but if we miss the playoffs/get tossed in the 1st round, id like to start seeing some changes

Other than UFA's walking I'll be disappointed if the defense is the same next year.

Reactions: Cams

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Other than UFA's walking I'll be disappointed if the defense is the same next year.

Fixing our defense to the point were we won't need to anymore would involve trading one of the big 3 and i don't think many wanna entertain the thought.

Realistically at best Lou will add some mediocre #4-#5 guy and slot him in the #2 spot

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They got branded because they had the lead 3 times in the game and blew it each time simple as that, this morale victory bs is a cop out for those in la la land

Its not a cop out. Its a good team already and the system is bubbling with prospects.

We still have all our picks for the next five years except for a sixth rounder i believe(?)

We are structured for success the same as previous to the playoffs starting.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Fixing our defense to the point were we won't need to anymore would involve trading one of the big 3 and i don't think many wanna entertain the thought.

Realistically at best Lou will add some mediocre #4-#5 guy and slot him in the #2 spot

It would cost one of the big 3 to get a #1.

No it wouldn't require moving one of the big 3, to improve the defense.

The RHD has a 2nd. and 3rd. pairing defender (maybe 2 3rd. pairings) and Polak and Carrick who are depth defenders everywhere else.

The LHD has a 1st. pairing defender and part-time 2nd. pairing / 4th. pairing defender, and a couple kids who are the future.

Leafs can't pay top cap price for a defender with the referenced 3 coming into the retirement contracts.

I just think it is too soon to expect Liljegren to make an impact in the NHL.

Everyone should be in play to make the team better, especially after the performance in the playoffs with Marleau about the only veteran who made a statement.

So let's pretend we're going into an expansion draft and could only protect 7 forwards, 3 defenders. (Liljegren exempt from discussion)
Marleau, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman, Kadri

Rielly, Zaitsev, Dermott --(Gardiner UFA)

Available: Brown, Johnsson, Hainsey, Gardiner, Carrick, Leivo

Okay, so not a terrific group to chose from is there?

We're to the point where they'd have to add pick(s).

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I forgot to qualify in my original post here about jake. I said just trade him and promote Dermott.

I think he crucified himself after game seven and will be harassed significantly by fans and media. Personally i would be just as content with keeping him.

If there is a deal thats good for us i would not oppose the idea. We could have been no further behind by trading all of Komo, Bozy and Jvr.

Thats alot of assets lost likely but we don't know for sure how much i know.

Moving Gardiner at the draft would save him the media and fan grief that he has coming way.

To me it was a solid taking blame but he's done every slow news day because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad