Online Series: The Wheel of Time (Prime Video, Nov 22)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Nothing new really, but having finished book 2 The Hunt for the Horn I have to revise my opinion a bit on the season 1 finale. A few things are a bit odd but aside from 'Matt' messing things up it's a lot closer to follow in line with book 2 than I had assumed.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Nothing new really, but having finished book 2 The Hunt for the Horn I have to revise my opinion a bit on the season 1 finale. A few things are a bit odd but aside from 'Matt' messing things up it's a lot closer to follow in line with book 2 than I had assumed.
The thing to be aware of, season 1 wasn’t designed to be a book 1 adaption.
It fits more of the overall themes of the entire series, while taking pieces and concepts from the first book.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
It ended better then it started, however pretty clear they were hamstrung by budgetary concerns for the finale. Similar to Game of Thrones early seasons where they couldn't show really huge battles in detail.

As an aside I'm going to try and read the books. I attempted about 20 years ago and didn't make it more then a couple hundred pages in. I recall thinking the author was more exhausting at detailing mundane things then even Tolkien was
Book 1 is pretty slow until shadar logoth about 250 pages in. And has a lot of setup. The end is faster paced.

Book 2 is a page flipper and the one that hooked me

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Book 1 is pretty slow until shadar logoth about 250 pages in. And has a lot of setup. The end is faster paced.

Book 2 is a page flipper and the one that hooked me
The ending in book 1 is one most book fans kinda “ignore” because there’s a lot that legit doesn’t make sense.

the show at least made far more sense in the big picture.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The ending in book 1 is one most book fans kinda “ignore” because there’s a lot that legit doesn’t make sense.

the show at least made far more sense in the big picture.
What didn't make sense? It all made pretty clear sense on a reread. Was meant to be ambiguous on first read. A lot of stuff in the first 3 books was shown but not understood until the magic system was better explained. There is so much foreshadowing missed in the first read that only gets picked up on the reread. At worst the ending was a bit rushed.

Reactions: JBeast

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What didn't make sense? It all made pretty clear sense on a reread. Was meant to be ambiguous on first read. A lot of stuff in the first 3 books was shown but not understood until the magic system was better explained. There is so much foreshadowing missed in the first read that only gets picked up on the reread. At worst the ending was a bit rushed.
How far in the series are you? If you’ve finished the whole series there’s one thing that legitimately doesn’t work with the magic, and it’s never explained or fixed.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
How far in the series are you? If you’ve finished the whole series there’s one thing that legitimately doesn’t work with the magic, and it’s never explained or fixed.
I've read and reread every book like 7 times.

The rules in the blight near the dark one are never supposed to make sense, particularly when his voice and presence is directly involved, Nor do they make sense when channeling around the horn of Valere, which is an item that touches 2 worlds. Rand accesses a pool of pure untainted Saidin, which is not his, but he is able to direct it, that the horn of Valere is sitting in and is the strongest Taveren since Artur Hawkwing and his taveren nature is basically the light giving him powers to combat the Dark's one's illogical rules. The pattern bent around him to the outcome.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I've read and reread every book like 7 times.

The rules in the blight near the dark one are never supposed to make sense, particularly when his voice and presence is directly involved, Nor do they make sense when channeling around the horn of Valere, which is an item that touches 2 worlds. Rand accesses a pool of pure untainted Saidin, which is not his, but he is able to direct it, that the horn of Valere is sitting in and is the strongest Taveren since Artur Hawkwing and his taveren nature is basically the light giving him powers to combat the Dark's one's illogical rules. The pattern bent around him to the outcome.

The moment where rand becomes a glowing human and fights trollocs, makes no sense with saidin as we know of them, its not something from TAR. Even Jordan admitted it doesn't work right.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The moment where rand becomes a glowing human and fights trollocs, makes no sense with saidin as we know of them, its not something from TAR. Even Jordan admitted it doesn't work right.
Show me where Jordan says that.

I'll admit, I'm going on my viewpoint based on what we know.

So many unexplainable things happen with Rand in the books that are explained simply by saying "taveren" that it should be second nature just to accept it.

It seems like you are trying to nitpick a scientific explanation based on the world rules of a fantasy novel

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Show me where Jordan says that.

I'll admit, I'm going on my viewpoint based on what we know.

So many unexplainable things happen with Rand in the books that are explained simply by saying "taveren" that it should be second nature just to accept it.

It seems like you are trying to nitpick a scientific explanation based on the world rules of a fantasy novel

I’ll look it up later, but it’s well accepted jordan didn’t have the rules of magic down 100% in book 1. Additionally jordan wrote a Hard magic system, one of the best and most intricate magic systems.
There are rules. While it’s a fantasy book, jordan made legit rules himself.
Rand broke the “odds” with ta’veren but he can’t break the rules with them.
Additionally the ending of book 1 was written in such a way that just in case he didn’t get a book 2, it could still work as the ending.
Similarly that in b3 rand is more insane than b4.
book 3 rand was jordan planning for 6 books not 14.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I’ll look it up later, but it’s well accepted jordan didn’t have the rules of magic down 100% in book 1. Additionally jordan wrote a Hard magic system, one of the best and most intricate magic systems.
There are rules. While it’s a fantasy book, jordan made legit rules himself.
Rand broke the “odds” with ta’veren but he can’t break the rules with them.
Additionally the ending of book 1 was written in such a way that just in case he didn’t get a book 2, it could still work as the ending.
Similarly that in b3 rand is more insane than b4.
book 3 rand was jordan planning for 6 books not 14.
I guess I disagree. there were enough loopholes to breaking that magic system in areas where the veil between worlds was thin
I didn't think Rand was insane whatsoever in book 3 or 4. He's a kid who is in over his head with all this power and pressure and he is reacting immaturely and temperamentally. The first glimpse of madness we see does indeed come in book 4, but it was vague and undefined at the time as a voice that speaks in his head when he was chatting with Lanfear. It intensified in book 5, but wasn't truly present in book 3

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I guess I disagree. there were enough loopholes to breaking that magic system in areas where the veil between worlds was thin
I didn't think Rand was insane whatsoever in book 3 or 4. He's a kid who is in over his head with all this power and pressure and he is reacting immaturely and temperamentally. The first glimpse of madness we see does indeed come in book 4, but it was vague and undefined at the time as a voice that speaks in his head when he was chatting with Lanfear. It intensified in book 5, but wasn't truly present in book 3
I think in the early books the rules are thin, but as we learn the system with our characters, everything from 2-14 makes perfect sense.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I think in the early books the rules are thin, but as we learn the system with our characters, everything from 2-14 makes perfect sense.
I always felt rules could be bent and broken where the veil between worlds/dream/reality was thin. Nowhere is it thinner than in the blight or around the horn of valere

rand is able to do impossible things in Moridin's dream shard to the point where moridin freaks out and flees. Perrin able to stop unstoppable balefire by just imagining it, and able to carry his powers to the waking world. It's all impossible until it isn't. It's very easy to just imagine a deus ex machina where rand was being controlled by the hand of god/the light in book 1 during his reveal

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I guess to me, this is like having a convo with my buddy about xmen days of future past. He watched that movie and started gripping over the sentinels. His argument was "they couldn't build robots like that in the 70's. This sucks. It takes away from the story because it's not realistic"

And my argument is "dude they can'tbuild robots like that now, and in a movie with telepathy, magnetic powers, shape-shifting, instant healing and bone claws, how is it that is where you draw the line?"

Same with batman. He complained how unrealistic dark knight rises was and I kept pointing out he was watching a movie about a billionaire who dresses up as a bat to fight crime. Just let it go lol.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Man, as someone who got into fantasy books at an obsessive rate because of these books, I have to say, they’ve done such a brutal job of this show lol.

JFC

Edit: Some of the fights have been fun though

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Man, as someone who got into fantasy books at an obsessive rate because of these books, I have to say, they’ve done such a brutal job of this show lol.

JFC.

I hope they don't do wrong the Tolkien series the same way. That would break my heart because Tolkien's works are very dear to me. I've never read Wheel of Time btw.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I hope they don't do wrong the Tolkien series the same way. That would break my heart because Tolkien's works are very dear to me. I've never read Wheel of Time btw.
I had low expectations but even still they’ve taken a lot of liberties with the source material lol. The casting of the characters is pretty bad and none of them really behave the way they would have in the books either. Not sure why they have suane sanche going down on moraine to eat her out (unless there is something I can’t remember from the new spring book). The shadar logoth dagger plot line was brutal (everything about it). Same with Perrin and the wolves/whitecloaks.

happy something was done about this show but it’s been laughable the longer I watch it even if I still find ways to enjoy it.

Last edited:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Also see some people talking about the Malazan books. Some of the best reading out there even if some of it is batshit crazy

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Also see some people talking about the Malazan books. Some of the best reading out there even if some of it is batshit crazy

Speaking of Malazan, now having finished book 3 of WoT I've noticed at the start of the series at least Robert Jordan went for the big finales... and after reading stuff like Malazan or Brandon Sanderson they're still good but lacking a critical component that really stands out to me now after The Dragon Reborn. I guess a spoiler-free way to say it, if Jordan wrote the first Avengers movie script the hero's would make their own separate journey for the finale in New York and then... he forgets to do the "Assemble" part. Instead pursuing their own separate purposes and battles, and then Tony Stark ends it bring a nuke through the portal, it ends and they only hook up when its time for shwarma's.

Hopefully it's something they can improve for season 2 and 3. It may not always be realistic but these moments are damn entertaining and are what authors should be looking to create.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Just finished the series. Some of the worst television I’ve watched In some time.

Whatever the f*** that was it was certainly not how the first book of the wheel of time went. It wasn’t even f***ing close. seriously didn’t think a famous fantasy series could get butchered any worse than ASOIAF was but I was sooooooo wrong.

The casting was awful, the writing was complete bullshit awful. The only thing that was any good was some of the clothing they made for the show. Other then that? Complete and utter trash. Not sure how anyone who read and loved the books could have enjoyed that garbage.

so heartbreaking.

Reactions: I am not exposed

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not sure how fast you read, but keep me posted as you finish books. Always happy to chit chat with folks after they get through each book because I remember reading them for the first time and having few people to talk to. Mostly in the age before the internet lol.

By book 9 I had plenty of folks i could chat with because we had some fledgling sites.

I still remember the "Pick an actor/Actress for each character" thread on an old now gone WOT page from 2001.

This was the main guy folks were choosing to be rand, because of his height.
Ricky-Fitts.American-Beauty.webp

and everyone wanted keifer Sutherland as Dain Bornheld and Donald as Geoffram Bornheld

Isn't that the actor that plays the adopted son on Yellowstone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad