Online Series: The Wheel of Time (Prime Video, Nov 22)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Season 3 will be just book 4.
Book 2/3 have a similar plot so they don’t want to do them both.

The plan is 8 seasons.

My favorites are 4-6, 12-14.

Cool. My memory of the books was pretty spotty, I definitely thought the Aiel showing up in S2 was out of place from the books, but I think they did a fine job with it. That makes sense. I'd heard they were combining a bit of book 3 into season 2 (hence the Aiel plotline) and I'd thought I'd heard some of book 3 was going to stuffed into S3 along with all/most of book 4. But basically they are going to be removing much of book 3 altogether, which I agree does follow many of the same beats as book 2 from what I recall (I guess I'll find out soon, I'm almost through book 2 now in my re-read haha).

Best thing I think show's done has been soften Nynaeve a little bit. Reading the first couple of books and I freaking can't stand Nynaeve. She is petulant whiny little child with a hate on for Moraine that goes beyond anything that is close to rational. She drives me nuts in these books. I much prefer the shows take on that character.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Cool. My memory of the books was pretty spotty, I definitely thought the Aiel showing up in S2 was out of place from the books, but I think they did a fine job with it. That makes sense. I'd heard they were combining a bit of book 3 into season 2 (hence the Aiel plotline) and I'd thought I'd heard some of book 3 was going to stuffed into S3 along with all/most of book 4. But basically they are going to be removing much of book 3 altogether, which I agree does follow many of the same beats as book 2 from what I recall (I guess I'll find out soon, I'm almost through book 2 now in my re-read haha).

Best thing I think show's done has been soften Nynaeve a little bit. Reading the first couple of books and I freaking can't stand Nynaeve. She is petulant whiny little child with a hate on for Moraine that goes beyond anything that is close to rational. She drives me nuts in these books. I much prefer the shows take on that character.
The aiel do show up in book 2, but it’s not avi or Gaul.

I’ve re-read the entire series about 10x.

Nyneave in the books has an incredible growth arc, and the show is doing a fantastic job with it.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The aiel do show up in book 2, but it’s not avi or Gaul.

I’ve re-read the entire series about 10x.

Nyneave in the books has an incredible growth arc, and the show is doing a fantastic job with it.

I just read through Ingtar/Perrin/Mat/Verin meeting a solitary Aiel a day or two ago, which I didn't recall from before. But I don't remember them being as big a part of it.

I believe you 100%, but in the first two books at least (those are the ones I recalled the best and even then it was spotty before my re-read over the past couple of weeks) I cannot stand the character at all. I know some spoilers from later on, I realize she gets better but I was really hoping the whole two books I had forgotten the scene where someone steals her staff and knocks her upside the head. She's supposed to be the oldest and "wisest" of the Two Rivers 5 when they depart, but she's the only one who seems completely unable to come to terms with anything and just lashes out at random stuff for no reason. She's just...dumb most of the time. I get that I haven't gotten to her actual arc yet, but I will. I'm sure it'll be nice and satisfying, but right now I do not like her at all. I do agree the show is doing a great job with it, she still has that immaturity, anger and stubbornness but I don't want to physically shake her and tell to stop being a moron and focus on what actually matters like I do with the book.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I just read through Ingtar/Perrin/Mat/Verin meeting a solitary Aiel a day or two ago, which I didn't recall from before. But I don't remember them being as big a part of it.

I believe you 100%, but in the first two books at least (those are the ones I recalled the best and even then it was spotty before my re-read over the past couple of weeks) I cannot stand the character at all. I know some spoilers from later on, I realize she gets better but I was really hoping the whole two books I had forgotten the scene where someone steals her staff and knocks her upside the head. She's supposed to be the oldest and "wisest" of the Two Rivers 5 when they depart, but she's the only one who seems completely unable to come to terms with anything and just lashes out at random stuff for no reason. She's just...dumb most of the time. I get that I haven't gotten to her actual arc yet, but I will. I'm sure it'll be nice and satisfying, but right now I do not like her at all. I do agree the show is doing a great job with it, she still has that immaturity, anger and stubbornness but I don't want to physically shake her and tell to stop being a moron and focus on what actually matters like I do with the book.
As an adult I get early nyneave a lot more.

She’s a child placed in a position of authority that no one wants to listen to. The only way anyone listens to her is when she’s abrasive, so that becomes her personality.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
As an adult I get early nyneave a lot more.

She’s a child placed in a position of authority that no one wants to listen to. The only way anyone listens to her is when she’s abrasive, so that becomes her personality.
Yup for sure I get that. And I know that she's not actually mad at Moraine, she's just jealous that Moiraine gets to be "with" Lan but she can't admit that even to herself so she twists it to still mad at Moiraine for pulling her out of Two Rivers.

I understand it but still find it super annoying.

Anyways, I'll have more to talk about in a couple weeks probably when I'm into hopefully book 5 or 6 haha.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yup for sure I get that. And I know that she's not actually mad at Moraine, she's just jealous that Moiraine gets to be "with" Lan but she can't admit that even to herself so she twists it to still mad at Moiraine for pulling her out of Two Rivers.

I understand it but still find it super annoying.

Anyways, I'll have more to talk about in a couple weeks probably when I'm into hopefully book 5 or 6 haha.
Oh no she definitely doesn’t like moiraine and it has nothing to do with lan initially.

Moiraine is an adult woman, who has respect and authority, without having to be abrasive.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
seems like not many of us here watch this show huh? (solely judging based on the lack of talk in this thread)
The Nielsen numbers are way down, too. The first three episodes of S1 garnered 1.16 billion minutes viewed. The first three episodes of S2 garnered only 515 million minutes. That's a 55.6% drop in viewership.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The Nielsen numbers are way down, too. The first three episodes of S1 garnered 1.16 billion minutes viewed. The first three episodes of S2 garnered only 515 minutes. That's a 55.6% drop in viewership.
id wait till ep 6 numbers.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
id wait till ep 6 numbers.
Since the week of Ep 5 was also 515M, I imagine that the week of Ep 6 did about the same. Weeks 2-6 (Eps 4-8) of S1 varied between 467M and 663M and averaged 574M, so we're still looking at a decline, but only 10%. It's also worth noting that these recent numbers include minutes of S1 watched.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Since the week of Ep 5 was also 515M, I imagine that the week of Ep 6 did about the same. Weeks 2-6 (Eps 4-8) of S1 varied between 467M and 663M and averaged 574M, so we're still looking at a decline, but only 10%. It's also worth noting that these recent numbers include minutes of S1 watched.
ep6 got incredible reviews, and that’s when I think the show really turned the corner from mid viewing to actual buzz worthy.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
ep6 got incredible reviews, and that’s when I think the show really turned the corner from mid viewing to actual buzz worthy.
I doubt that the numbers changed much. Andor's Ep6 got incredible reviews (9.1 on IMDb, compared to 8.9 for WoT's Ep6) and really started the buzz for that show, but it barely moved the needle in terms of weekly minutes watched (link).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The 2nd season was a lot better I thought. More stuff happening, less bad character building and more good. Lots of likeable villains, I dunno who is dressing Lanfear but they deserve a raise. Really the whole art department for this show +++ looks spectacular

I never read the books but my gf has and tbh I'd be pretty lost without her. There is a lot going on. At least half the time I have no idea who these people are or what their motivations were. Like the finale was wild, but who was that guy dressed in red & black with the beard who's death seemed like a big moment. Also where the hell did that horn come from? Did they set that up? I know they re-casted Matt and I thought the new guy was good.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
The 2nd season was a lot better I thought. More stuff happening, less bad character building and more good. Lots of likeable villains, I dunno who is dressing Lanfear but they deserve a raise. Really the whole art department for this show +++ looks spectacular

I never read the books but my gf has and tbh I'd be pretty lost without her. There is a lot going on. At least half the time I have no idea who these people are or what their motivations were. Like the finale was wild, but who was that guy dressed in red & black with the beard who's death seemed like a big moment. Also where the hell did that horn come from? Did they set that up? I know they re-casted Matt and I thought the new guy was good.
I'd say they didn't do a great job with setting up the Horn of Valere or Ingtar (I assume that's the guy you're referring to). The Horn was mentioned early in Season 2 when Perrin and his gang were chasing it after Padan Fain had stolen it back in S1E8, but after the Seanchan got a hold of it it was basically tucked away and ignored in the show. Then supposedly "a lady from Cairhien helped us get it" off screen which meant Lanfear. So yeah, a bit of a lackluster climax for how they got the Horn back.

On Ingtar, I'll put it in spoilers because explaining it requires book knowledge.
In the books (and I assume in the show as well to an extent) Ingtar is revealed as a Darkfriend at the end of the Great Hunt. However, before his death he confesses his wrongdoings and basically "comes back to the Light" in a touching scene where he sacrifices himself so the others can escape. For some reason the show skipped that reveal which made his arc fall flat. There were some hints early in the season when he took care to offer a proper burial to some of the Darkfriends and tried to reason why they did what they did to Perrin but that was pretty much the only hint we got of him being a DF.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Finally caught up. In season 1 not sure what changes 'Matt' caused to happen as the ending seemed more focused on teen drama and the changes made it much weaker compared to the books, but the changes to season 2 were solid. Unlike some other fantasy series adaption really showed that they have a firm grasp and love for the source material. Like a big change to season 1 ending that wasn't understand at the time, but changing the 'dark one's seals' to 'the forsaken's seals' is an interesting and clever change.

Makes me wonder how many they'll include going forward though. The Forsaken are Lord of the Rings adjacent to the Nazgul, except instead of being reduced to the state of a group of scary horsemen who chase Frodo around they're fully fleshed out characters still in their full power. A big reason that The Wheel of Time is 14 books long is because there's like 13 of these guys all doing their own thing and they all have to be handled by the Scooby gang:

We got Moghedian, the Spider, at the end there, so I wonder who else will make it.

Another nice small touch was the handling of Uno. A minor but lovable character, I was a bit shocked when he got spiked. But then they brought him back as a hero of the horn? Both a clever though likely futile attempt to teach newcomers how it works (basically binds hero's of the past to it's called, but they're still spat back out to live and die like everyone else in 'the wheel') and a great upgrade/tribute to the character.

There were a few things I could knit pick at, but all within reason for what you'd expect of TV. Like has been mentioned, at the end Morraine should way more power than she should have had. Another one that bugged me was a distinct change to Min's character, I could understand the change to her wanting to get rid of her power, but in the books she's constantly telling people 'what I see will happen and can't be changed', it's something she's learn and grown to understand. So kind of weak to have an older Min try to convince Matt to stay away from Rand. And finally, at the very end of season 1 Loilel got stabbed with the very evil & powerful dagger and critically no channelers around. Then two start season 2 he just... got better? I know they said after season 1 don't worry about Loiel he'll be back but are we pretending that just didn't happen?

Anyways I think I've rambled enough for now, can't wait for season 3 and beyond! Though it's probably going to be a 2 year wait.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh and of course, **** yeah Matt! Another sensible change, he was a bit of a mopy drag at the start of the books too before finding his way to grow into the best lead character.

And did I hear a call out to Cadsuane Sedai? 'She (Nynaeve) is the fasted to reach accepted since Cadsuane Sedai!'. Cadsuane is an end game character so it will probably be a while, but can't wait for the badass of badass Aes Sedai to show up!

Edit: Just doing some googling, it might be older news but looks likely that Shohreh Aghdashloo, who plays Chrisjen Avasarala in The Expense, and all I can say is **** yeah!

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Oh and of course, **** yeah Matt! Another sensible change, he was a bit of a mopy drag at the start of the books too before finding his way to grow into the best lead character.

And did I hear a call out to Cadsuane Sedai? 'She (Nynaeve) is the fasted to reach accepted since Cadsuane Sedai!'. Cadsuane is an end game character so it will probably be a while, but can't wait for the badass of badass Aes Sedai to show up!

Edit: Just doing some googling, it might be older news but looks likely that Shohreh Aghdashloo, who plays Chrisjen Avasarala in The Expense, and all I can say is **** yeah!
Shohreh is gonna be elaida.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Finally caught up. In season 1 not sure what changes 'Matt' caused to happen as the ending seemed more focused on teen drama and the changes made it much weaker compared to the books, but the changes to season 2 were solid. Unlike some other fantasy series adaption really showed that they have a firm grasp and love for the source material. Like a big change to season 1 ending that wasn't understand at the time, but changing the 'dark one's seals' to 'the forsaken's seals' is an interesting and clever change.

Makes me wonder how many they'll include going forward though. The Forsaken are Lord of the Rings adjacent to the Nazgul, except instead of being reduced to the state of a group of scary horsemen who chase Frodo around they're fully fleshed out characters still in their full power. A big reason that The Wheel of Time is 14 books long is because there's like 13 of these guys all doing their own thing and they all have to be handled by the Scooby gang:

We got Moghedian, the Spider, at the end there, so I wonder who else will make it.

Another nice small touch was the handling of Uno. A minor but lovable character, I was a bit shocked when he got spiked. But then they brought him back as a hero of the horn? Both a clever though likely futile attempt to teach newcomers how it works (basically binds hero's of the past to it's called, but they're still spat back out to live and die like everyone else in 'the wheel') and a great upgrade/tribute to the character.

There were a few things I could knit pick at, but all within reason for what you'd expect of TV. Like has been mentioned, at the end Morraine should way more power than she should have had. Another one that bugged me was a distinct change to Min's character, I could understand the change to her wanting to get rid of her power, but in the books she's constantly telling people 'what I see will happen and can't be changed', it's something she's learn and grown to understand. So kind of weak to have an older Min try to convince Matt to stay away from Rand. And finally, at the very end of season 1 Loilel got stabbed with the very evil & powerful dagger and critically no channelers around. Then two start season 2 he just... got better? I know they said after season 1 don't worry about Loiel he'll be back but are we pretending that just didn't happen?

Anyways I think I've rambled enough for now, can't wait for season 3 and beyond! Though it's probably going to be a 2 year wait.

So the actor who played Matt refused to return when filming resuming following the COVID shutdown. Which is why they had to write him out of the final two episodes of Season 1. They also mentioned that's why they had Rand go alone to Eye of the World. Additionally they had written out a large portion of S2 during the COVID break, but following the actor who played Matt quiting and the subsequent re-writing of the last two episodes they had to re-write large portions of S2 to accomodate the change in storylines. I saw an article that mentioned the split up the group for basically individual stories in S2 was due to this.

As for the Forsaken it appears all but confirmed that they've reduced the Forsaken from 13 to 8. Ishmael, Lanfear, Moghedien are obviously 3 of them as they've appeared on screen. By name Sammael and Graendal have been mentioned. We don't know who the last 3 are. It seems likely the show will go with 4 females and 4 males for balance. Which would leave 1 female forsaken and 2 male forsaken left to be revealed. It does seem to contradict a particular line of dialogue from Lanfear this season though which seems to indicate the remaining unknown forsaken are male though, so we'll see.

For all the bad timing, Wheel of Time has actually hit a string of decent/good luck in terms of Season 3. The writing was done before the writers strike. Also due to some reasons I'm not entirely clear on (I'm not CBA/international law expert) this show is not subject to the SAG-AFTRA strike. So they are just finishing up filming for S3 and should be done by end of the year. So with little else to work on I would think Amazon would be rushing out the VFX and post production on the season to get it out next year when they have a dearth of content caused by the strikes this year.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So the actor who played Matt refused to return when filming resuming following the COVID shutdown. Which is why they had to write him out of the final two episodes of Season 1. They also mentioned that's why they had Rand go alone to Eye of the World. Additionally they had written out a large portion of S2 during the COVID break, but following the actor who played Matt quiting and the subsequent re-writing of the last two episodes they had to re-write large portions of S2 to accomodate the change in storylines. I saw an article that mentioned the split up the group for basically individual stories in S2 was due to this.

As for the Forsaken it appears all but confirmed that they've reduced the Forsaken from 13 to 8. Ishmael, Lanfear, Moghedien are obviously 3 of them as they've appeared on screen. By name Sammael and Graendal have been mentioned. We don't know who the last 3 are. It seems likely the show will go with 4 females and 4 males for balance. Which would leave 1 female forsaken and 2 male forsaken left to be revealed. It does seem to contradict a particular line of dialogue from Lanfear this season though which seems to indicate the remaining unknown forsaken are male though, so we'll see.

For all the bad timing, Wheel of Time has actually hit a string of decent/good luck in terms of Season 3. The writing was done before the writers strike. Also due to some reasons I'm not entirely clear on (I'm not CBA/international law expert) this show is not subject to the SAG-AFTRA strike. So they are just finishing up filming for S3 and should be done by end of the year. So with little else to work on I would think Amazon would be rushing out the VFX and post production on the season to get it out next year when they have a dearth of content caused by the strikes this year.

They do have Rings of Power probably early spring, so maybe it'll be summer? That would be awesome.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

They’re not subject to the strike because their filming in Europe, where they have different contracts.
The actors can’t promote it though. So that’s kinda tough, but otherwise yeah, they lucked out with the writers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad