The Unwritten Rules of Hockey

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
it is illegal, its a highstick for one, as well watch the thing with schremp dangling on tsn...youtube rob schremp, it'll come up, in that thing they say its illegal to do but some players are "all for it" in a shootout.

Last edited by a moderator:

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
you're probably just bitter cuz u cant do it. i'd dangle u as well.

Where do they say it's illegal? Of course Schremp's attempt would be, his stick is above the net. If you do the Legg goal correctly, then the stick is always below the crossbar.

The only thing I was talking about was that goal (Legg/Crosby) and you seem to be including all variations of it to help your argument, it still doesn't. I also said that it shouldn't be done in a game, nobody gives a **** about a shootout, it's a worthless exhibition which isn't based on one guy. Like it was said, guys wouldn't try it during an NHL game.

Also, where does he dangle in that video?

UserName

Jul 4, 2003
Visit site
do not taunt the other team on the bench after scoring a goal.
do not shoot the puck at the opposing bench on purpose

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Some of these aren't so bad in rec hockey, but in competitive hockey obey the following....

- Unless you are dead, get the **** off the ice and get to your bench.

- If you're a fourth liner and you see the opponents top line come over the bench, get off. Now.

- Unless you are Alexander Ovechkin or Wayne Gretzky, the mirrored visor or 99 will get you killed. And they should.

- If the ref asks you who got the assists, don't say yourself unless its true.

- Rookies DO NOT tease equipment managers.

- If a friend or former teammate is on the other team, don't even acknowledge him until it's over.

BCCHL inactive

IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO THAT. when legg did it, it wasn't illegal, because the only part of this conversation where you were right was HE WAS THE FIRST TO DO IT. did u seirously watch that video? and you're asking where the dangles are? i feel bad for insulting the handicapped, sry man the internet is a pretty anonymous place.

Here is the verdict...

Legg: Legal
Crosby: Legal (The goal counted for god's sake.)
Schremp: With a video review, likely illegal, which is why he didn't do it in a real game.

...And don't think you're special for insulting people here. We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Here is the verdict...

Schremp: With a video review, likely illegal, which is why he didn't do it in a real game.

...And don't think you're special for insulting people here. We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you.

The saying "Dumber than a sack of hammers" comes to mind.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
When playing against me, bring plenty of jockstraps as you're more than likely going to lose a few.
Man am I awesome.

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
Here is the verdict...

Thanks for the help man. :clap:

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
A great unwritten rule of hockey is "what goes around, comes around." If you're acting like a fool, it's gonna come back get you. If you play fair, within the rules, and act like a sportsman, usually you won't have any trouble.

mooseOAK*

Never cherry pick when your team is up by a large margin.

Never say you're sorry.

KariyaIsGod*

huh?

Everyone loved it when Legg did it because they hadn't seen it before, and because they won the game because of it. People were saying it was the greatest goal ever scored.

Crosby did it when his team was up by like 3 goals. There was no reason for it.

Hisey did it in a skills competition, while adding his own twist.

Is it not the objective of any team to score more goals than the other team and thus win the game?

To me, that's a perfectly good reason to score a goal..

KariyaIsGod*

- Unless you are Alexander Ovechkin or Wayne Gretzky, the mirrored visor or 99 will get you killed. And they should.

I agree with much of what you said but I ahve to take issue with this.

99... Well, I see your point.

Mirrored visors though? Honestly, if I ever saw somebody beat someone down or take a shot at someone for something that trivial, I would personally beat the hell out of them.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
On the bench never say any of the ten statements below ;)
1. "Do these pants make me look fat?"
2. "I feel the love…..Do you feel the love?"
3. "Oooh, oooh, is that blood? I feel dizzy!"
4. "Wanna sit together on the bus home?"
5. "Coach, will you hand me a tissue?"
6. "Is anybody missing a tooth?"
7. "Is he gonna need stitches? Oops, my bad!"
8. "I really just wanted to be a figure skater."
9. "That won't leave a mark."
10. "Hey guys, are we going to do that thing after the game where we hold hands and spin?"
:sarcasm:

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
This is the video correct? http://youtube.com/watch?v=eHrtUtjotmA&mode=related&search=

Nowhere does anyone say it's illegal.

It's interesting though, that Schremp himself says "I won't be the one to cross the line." He says that he would probably be benched for it.

Kariyaisgod, I know it's not illegal, and abviously teams are going to try and score-but not at any cost. Don't you think someone would have tried it by now if they thought it would be okay? It's been 10 years since Legg did it, and I don't remember anyone ever trying it in the big league. (Hence "unwritten" rule.)

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
the only obvious problem is when the stick comes over the hight of the crossbar. The puck can not be legally directed into the net nor touched by a stick over that hight.

The other aspect is that the puck must continue progress in a direction toward the goal line. When the player turns and swings the puck in a direction AWAY from the goal line, the shot is over, dead, at least in the case of a penalty shot. Maybe Gino can explain better whats involved with the shoot out situation but i believe it is still the case.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
my favorite is:

never take penalties/start problems or do anything to stop the clock at a game that started after 11pm.

We've all got jobs for the love of Pete...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What ought to become a unwritten rule is, don't turn your back towards the ice before getting hit.

Its become extremely common here in the SEL where players checking from behind are given a 2+10(personall) penalty.

And I've seen some of it in the NHL lately.

Its a pain in the ***.

If you come in at full speed on the forecheck and the player turns his back against you, you have two options, finnish the check and take a penalty, maybe even a game misconduct, or just break.

2x4*

Friendly games: Never play your hardest. Everyone is out for a good time, to skate with their buddies, not have a skills competition.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
the only obvious problem is when the stick comes over the hight of the crossbar. The puck can not be legally directed into the net nor touched by a stick over that hight.

The other aspect is that the puck must continue progress in a direction toward the goal line. When the player turns and swings the puck in a direction AWAY from the goal line, the shot is over, dead, at least in the case of a penalty shot. Maybe Gino can explain better whats involved with the shoot out situation but i believe it is still the case.

Actually, USAH doesn't use a shoot-out, so there's nothing more I can add.

For a high stick, it's anything above shoulder height, not the goal crossbar. Rule 617(c).

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
my favorite is:

never take penalties/start problems or do anything to stop the clock at a game that started after 11pm.

We've all got jobs for the love of Pete...

Amen.

For all you dmen, slapshots are fine, but use them sparingly, especially if you hit the net only about 5% of the time. Oh, and make sure there aren't several of your own players standing in front of the shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad