The Unwritten Rules of Hockey

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
These are just some of the rules I've abided by growing up playing hockey that continue to this day in beer league. Feel free to contribute your own, debate, make up new ones, etc.

When taking the ice for warmups, stay in your half of the ice.

Never shoot high on the goalie in warmups, at least to start.

Tap the goalies pads whenever there's a free moment, but rarely engage in a conversation with him during a game.

Bang your stick on the ice or boards when somebody gets up from being hurt.

If you choose to hack at the opposing goalie when the puck is covered, then be prepared for the consequences.

What happens on the ice stays on the ice.

Never touch the ref.

The numbers 1 and 30 should only be worn by a goalie.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Most people don't understand to not shoot high in warmups. But don't think most goalies I've played with care. And most goalies I've been with chat it up too.:dunno:

And the hacking the goalie after the puck being covered...that's something I don't really care about. Cause the term being covered is a bit loose, I keep pushing till I hear the whistle since lotta times the puck is only covered by a players' stick and puck being pressed into the goalies pads I find. Refs a lotta times say it's not covered and don't blow the whistle but the opposition freaks out when I keep digging trying to stuff it in. I play to the whistle, though I wouldn't intentionally hack at the goalie if it was obvious the puck was in their glove or something.

Joey13

Never shoot the puck after the whistle

Huge celebrations for minor goals is bad form.

Agreed on those two!

Don't act surprised when you get hit in front of the net in any league at any level.

Same thing with girls - they are playing a tough sport, but chivalry is not totally dead!

Always thank the refs after the game - they have long memories.

Believe in karma - I scored a cheapie (banked off the back of the keeper) at the end of a game for a hat trick. I wondered if I should have done it as we were well ahead. Two seasons later I am still struggling to score goals consistently. I guess that answered my question.

What is discussed in the locker room, stays there (Mystery, Alaska).

Ensure that you have seen Miracle, Slapshot, and Mystery, Alaska.

This is the greatest game ever invented, treat it with that respect.

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
Never try to do moves from movies...such as the Flying V...that one started a brawl, speaking from experience.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Nobody gets a free shot at any goalie I play with. Your goalie doesn't usually need your protection but does deserve your support.

There are two ends to the ice, one for defense, one for offense, play both ends equally.

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
Never try to do moves from movies...such as the Flying V...that one started a brawl, speaking from experience.

The knucklepuck is the lone exception, right? :biglaugh:

Seriously, we used to play street hockey/inline hockey a lot, and kids used to always try that ****. They did it over and over even though it NEVER worked.

Also, don't pull "the goal" like you are Mike Legg or Crosby. I love Crosby, but Cherry blasting him for doing it was was perfectly within reason. Legg only did the goal because it was a huge game and they needed the goal (not to mention he wasn't copying anyone in doing so.)

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
cuz he wasn't copying anything? its the principal of the thing genius. what about when hisey did it.

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
huh?

Everyone loved it when Legg did it because they hadn't seen it before, and because they won the game because of it. People were saying it was the greatest goal ever scored.

Crosby did it when his team was up by like 3 goals. There was no reason for it.

Hisey did it in a skills competition, while adding his own twist.

What exactly are you trying to say, genius?

Dean Youngblood

Sep 14, 2006
In Hell
When I played, and someone took a run, jab, poke etc at our goalie after the whistle, that used to pi** me off.

I had to drop the gloves many times for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad