The Unwritten Rules of Hockey

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
It was a problem at one point. They would just grab it and drink away till empty. I got fed up with it so I went to the bench and promptly dumped out the ones there. When the uproar started I simply told them if I couldnt have water then neither could they. No one ever touched mine again...

locker room.....never touch the goalies mask. The rest of the gear you can ASK permission to pick up to look at. It may be spread out, walk around, step over but NOT ON.

LOL, more fuel to the fire that all goalies are wackjobs...

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
It was a problem at one point. They would just grab it and drink away till empty. I got fed up with it so I went to the bench and promptly dumped out the ones there. When the uproar started I simply told them if I couldnt have water then neither could they. No one ever touched mine again....

Makes complete sense to me. Actions speak louder than words. ;)

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
It was a problem at one point. They would just grab it and drink away till empty. I got fed up with it so I went to the bench and promptly dumped out the ones there. When the uproar started I simply told them if I couldnt have water then neither could they. No one ever touched mine again...

locker room.....never touch the goalies mask. The rest of the gear you can ASK permission to pick up to look at. It may be spread out, walk around, step over but NOT ON.

thats funny because even on my roller hockey team where the goalie has his water bottle on our bench(so it doesnt get on the playing surface) no one would dare touch it...

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
I read on another board where a guy scored then grabbed the goalies water bottle & took a swig. Needless to say mayhem ensued :biglaugh:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
1. Don't drink excessivley and have it affect your game
2. Don't think one year makes a career
3. Don't bang your teammates wife..

..needless to say Gary Leeman wouldn't be much of a contributor to this list.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
If playing in a beer league, make sure somebody is designated as the beer man, providing a chilled case of brew for immediate dispensation following the game. Sometimes, this is as important as making sure you have a goalie.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
If playing in a beer league, make sure somebody is designated as the beer man, providing a chilled case of brew for immediate dispensation following the game. Sometimes, this is as important as making sure you have a goalie.

Sometimes more ..............

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org

If you are the week's designated beer man:

1. Do not fail to show up without warning (and ideally without working out who's picking up the slack)
2. Do not show up without beer.

:D

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Jeffw-13 said:
I read on another board where a guy scored then grabbed the goalies water bottle & took a swig. Needless to say mayhem ensued

Happened in our local ball hockey league. Dude was issues an unsportsmanlike and a 3 game suspention. The goalie was the shooter's cousin...He took a major lumping before the goalie could intervene with his team mates, Cops were called etc etc etc. At least no one went to jail! lol

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am always one of the first, if not the first guy in the locker room before a game because it is the most important thing in my life.

I always take a couple of pre-game laps into the opponents end to get some attention.

I always put at least one move on my goalie in warm ups and I always score.

I never celebrate a goal no matter how significant or spectacular in nature.

I never cheapshot anyone, but I'm also never friendly with anybody on the other team.

I always play as hard as I possibly can every game, every shift.

I always look my opponent in the eye and shake his hand firmly after the game, no matter what the outcome, or what might have transpired during the game.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I always look my opponent in the eye and shake his hand firmly after the game, no matter what the outcome, or what might have transpired during the game.

I like this one. I see too many lamos in the handshake line who give you the dead fish treatment and won't look you in the eye like a man because their team got beat, they played like crap, etc. It's a game, buddy, deal.

12 oz Papa*

If you are team captain, and a teammate gets a penalty, do not rag on him for it. He knows what he's done, he doesn't need to be talked to like a baby.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
- The goalie should always lead the team on to the ice.

- If you're wearing a visor, take off your helmet before fighting someone.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
When playing pick-up: always bring a light and a dark jersey. Red does not count as either light or dark, leave it home.

grapeshine

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Here's a good unwritten rec rule: if you're the last guy out of the dressing room before the game make sure it's locked. Additionally, if it's a small rink don't be a dick after the game -- get undressed and let the next team in.

Owen Money

Jan 1, 2007
Skaters actually swig from your water bottle after a whistle? That's totally wrong. :shakehead I'd never even consider drinking the goalie's water.

The University of New Hampshire used to have a player in the late 90's who would occasionally drink from the *opposing* goalie's bottle. Saw him take a goalie stick to the helmet for it once.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I like this one. I see too many lamos in the handshake line who give you the dead fish treatment and won't look you in the eye like a man because their team got beat, they played like crap, etc. It's a game, buddy, deal.

Don't forget the one where someone pulls their hand away. Happened to me once, he looked at me and smiled then took his hand away. I was like gee thanks pee wee. Even though he must have had 20 years on me haha.

BCCHL inactive

Don't forget the one where someone pulls their hand away. Happened to me once, he looked at me and smiled then took his hand away. I was like gee thanks pee wee. Even though he must have had 20 years on me haha.

I've gotten that as a referee. Player got an extra 10 minutes on the record for it. I don't care if you shake my hand or not, but if you do approach me with the offer, don't you dare pull your hand away in a blatant attempt to embarrass me.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
This one kind of bothers me, not sure if I'm missing some rule. I hate during a pick up game when people grab your water aand drink it without asking. Just seems disrespectful to me. I offer it whenever I'm on the bench, but for someone (usually a hotshot) to just grab it bugs me. Not a huge deal, it's only water, just still...

Also, don't jump onto the ice during pick up when someone's been on the bench longer than you.

trueblueinboston

Mar 19, 2006
Boston
During pickup, don't stay on the ice for 7 minutes.

During pickup, don't put water bottles and towels in the penalty box, and drink water/wipe yourself off while you're still on the ice, and keep playing. If you need water, get off the ice for gods sake.

Goalies, don't get pissed off and leave during the middle of a pickup game, especially if there's only 2 of you.

If you hit, expect to get hit back. If you are physical, expect someone to play you physical back. And if you're in the crease, I don't care if its pickup, beer league, NHL, whatever...you're gonna get knocked around.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
And if you're in the crease, I don't care if its pickup, beer league, NHL, whatever...you're gonna get knocked around.

I was screening the goalie once and must not have noticed one leg slipped into the crease. The goalie whacked the back of my leg so hard. Always aware of where i am now hahah. Frankly i don't blame him but it pissed me off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad