The True Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: Part VI

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Laporte is presumptuously the replacement for Kompany, who just isn't healthy enough to be trusted. Having another good CB allows Otamendi to go to the rotation spot and Mangala to never, ever play again. Personally would have perferred Van Dijk, but Laporte is the level of CB that City needs to improve.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
So aubameyang is definitely the wrong buy for Arsenal. Doesn't fit the system, and Lacazette-Giroud is a fine strike pair as is. Xhaka is just...okay, but looks like Wenger is going to ride that train until the end of time.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Instead of Kroenke spending money for Auba, he should have invested that money to sign young talented Argentinian players for the Rapids.

(Just posting because I know this annoys @Duchene2MacKinnon :D )

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So aubameyang is definitely the wrong buy for Arsenal. Doesn't fit the system, and Lacazette-Giroud is a fine strike pair as is. Xhaka is just...okay, but looks like Wenger is going to ride that train until the end of time.
As I mentioned on the football section, Sven and Wenger are trying to set this team back to the dark ages as SAF did to United.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
As I mentioned on the football section, Sven and Wenger are trying to set this team back to the dark ages as SAF did to United.

The only way that bringing in Aubameyang makes sense is if Wenger wants to go bunkerball and just load the defensive box, and let the forwards run after it. I have never, ever been a Giroud fan, but having a guy that can come back, win the ball in the air,and distribute from the 9 is way better than a guy that has less of an understanding of offsides than Alex Tanguay.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The only way that bringing in Aubameyang makes sense is if Wenger wants to go bunkerball and just load the defensive box, and let the forwards run after it. I have never, ever been a Giroud fan, but having a guy that can come back, win the ball in the air,and distribute from the 9 is way better than a guy that has less of an understanding of offsides than Alex Tanguay.
Hahahaha, Walcott. The problem though is even if Giroud isn't perfect nor the most talented striker, Wenger built this team to play for his strengths. Arsenal as a team conduct a lot of long balls, (as you mentioned) where Giroud's strength and hold up play is the central tactics of the club (and helps the defence out). We've seen with Lacazette this season that he's not that player, he's more talented, but he doesn't have those strengths. So instead of changing the midfield to help Laca out, we're going to buy another pacy player because that will work. Salah works in Pool because of the tactics that Klopp has employeed. If you put him on Moaninho's team, his style will dramatically reduce his strengths as that fast winger who can get behind defenders four times a game.

Of course bunkerball wouldn't be anything different, Arsenal have been killed on the counterattack by loading the defencive box for nearly a decade now. In a three back line, it makes the matters worse because we don't have a world class CB who can organize the situation and command the pitch as a leader. We have Mustafi who yells every time, Kos who's breaking down, a 747 who has no wheels, Holding who plays like the real Nick Holden, and Chambers who hasn't developed into his hype as of now. Only solid guy we have is Monreal and he's played as a fullback his whole career. However, his progression into a CB has been unbelievable and a really good story.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Auba's a really great poacher and isn't bad with the ball. With Lacazette the more playmaking forward that looks like a really nifty duo for Mesut & Miki to feed :dunno:

Arsenals problems lie behind that attacking quartet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Auba's a really great poacher and isn't bad with the ball. With Lacazette the more playmaking forward that looks like a really nifty duo for Mesut & Miki to feed :dunno:

Hey, at least Arsenal should be entertaining at both ends of the pitch.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

He's a good player, but Arsenal are not going to line up to suit his best strengths. Biggest part of getting value for him is his connection with Ozil. If they can find a partnership that can be a really dangerous attack.

I said this on the football forum, Arsene hate defense, that's the only explanation.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Difference is SAF was still winning when he left. Fergie also understood not to use the same tactics for decades on end, remember he used to throw Tevez and Rooney up top and just press the Christ out of teams before that became the style.

Reactions: S E P H

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
The weird thing is, during Arsene's early days Arsenal has one of the meanest defences going with players like Adams, Dixon, Bould and then Viera in midfield
Now they got Xhaka who lets a guy named Sam Clucas to run circles around him.

I have to say, Arsenal twitter is great. Ornstein memes are amazing

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Now they got Xhaka who lets a guy named Sam Clucas to run circles around him.

I have to say, Arsenal twitter is great. Ornstein memes are amazing
Everything about Arsenal is great.... except for their team.

I mean is there anything in world more entertaining than Arsenal TV?

Reactions: S E P H

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
EPL domestic TV revenues going down, perhaps pausing the nonstop money increases we're seeing clubs get. PL will continue to get richer based off of foreign TV deals, 2022 looks like a huge year with China, Sub-Saharan Africa, and US deals all ending that year. Wouldn't surprise me to see new deals for those markets netting the league an extra billion + per year.

At this point, EPL should just embrace it and be the money league. They already have a big six, and Everton looks like they want to go the City route to get in the conversation. I would also keep my eye on the Newcastle situation, they have a big fanbase and good revenue, and would be a really good target should a billionare decide they want to spend a club to the top.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
EPL domestic TV revenues going down, perhaps pausing the nonstop money increases we're seeing clubs get. PL will continue to get richer based off of foreign TV deals, 2022 looks like a huge year with China, Sub-Saharan Africa, and US deals all ending that year. Wouldn't surprise me to see new deals for those markets netting the league an extra billion + per year.

At this point, EPL should just embrace it and be the money league. They already have a big six, and Everton looks like they want to go the City route to get in the conversation. I would also keep my eye on the Newcastle situation, they have a big fanbase and good revenue, and would be a really good target should a billionare decide they want to spend a club to the top.

That would be lame, my old boss was part of the american ownership group that bought everton.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
That would be lame, my old boss was part of the american ownership group that bought everton.

Even though the team sucks their transfer spend has been outrageous this year and it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped 100+ over the summer. That's what PL is anymore, any concept of community football or anything is dead. I just accept it and realize the PL is eventually going to dwarf every other league in Europe, if it's not already doing that. We're at seven PL teams right now that can probably outspend everyone on the continent outside of maybe 10 teams or so, and that number is probably going to grow. Wish it was different, I wonder if CL/EL is the only thing that will halt the extreme concentration of talent.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even though the team sucks their transfer spend has been outrageous this year and it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped 100+ over the summer. That's what PL is anymore, any concept of community football or anything is dead. I just accept it and realize the PL is eventually going to dwarf every other league in Europe, if it's not already doing that. We're at seven PL teams right now that can probably outspend everyone on the continent outside of maybe 10 teams or so, and that number is probably going to grow. Wish it was different, I wonder if CL/EL is the only thing that will halt the extreme concentration of talent.
It is also quite pathetic as a Gooner that before the Auba deal, Huddersfield Town spent more than us...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Oh the EPL sold it's heart many years ago, but I'm far from sold that they're gunna pull away from everyone. It'll just mean more money in transfer fees for clubs in germany that can actually develop their own talents; talents that they can hold onto for longer with the new tv deal for the BuLi. Teams already have two sales prices on players, one for EPL-teams and one for non-EPL teams, the difference between those two prices will just grow larger if the EPL's growth does continue to outpace other leagues' growth.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Oh the EPL sold it's heart many years ago, but I'm far from sold that they're gunna pull away from everyone. It'll just mean more money in transfer fees for clubs in germany that can actually develop their own talents; talents that they can hold onto for longer with the new tv deal for the BuLi. Teams already have to sales prices on players for EPL-teams and non-EPL teams, the difference between those two prices will just grow larger if the EPL's growth does continue to outpace other leagues' growth.

True that the PL will be a buying league (they already have been for years) and that PL teams already pay inflated prices...that doesn't change the fact that we're seeing good players get brought into the PL at a higher rate over the last couple of seasons, and that looks scheduled to increase. Teams get desperate to sell (especially in Italy/Spain), and that sweet Prem money is going to be the solution for a lot of teams.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Also Villa is another team to watch when they come back up. Their own spent like 30m in the Championship last year and has been talking a lot about spending the club back into relevance. Whatever, I embrace it. Bring the money in. When everyone spends incredible amounts to compete, at least you get the potential for competition, although teams might have to wait for Pep to leave for this to be more than a one team league.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
True that the PL will be a buying league (they already have been for years) and that PL teams already pay inflated prices...that doesn't change the fact that we're seeing good players get brought into the PL at a higher rate over the last couple of seasons, and that looks scheduled to increase. Teams get desperate to sell (especially in Italy/Spain), and that sweet Prem money is going to be the solution for a lot of teams.
I do think we'll start seeing the best players though on semi-good clubs leave for the prestige of Europe. For example, it would not surprise me in the slightest if Kane follows the same path as Bale. Lets be honest, he's not going to win anything at Spurs except maybe the Europa and/or the FA Cup. Spurs on the other hand are not as stupid as Arsenal are and do not sell players to rival clubs, so because of that Kane is probably going to go to RM or Barca or PSG when he eventually decides it is time to move on. The same could be said for Salah if he's able to keep up this pace and turn into a WC player. EPL teams will continue to buy the best players to help the club, but I still see the best of the best players in the league move on to "aura" clubs as I call them such as Bayern, Barca, RM, and PSG.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Speaking of Pep, he is the best thing to ever happen to English football. He is training English footballers to actually play technically instead of the rugby stuff they prefer. Watching the way that Phil Foden has developed under his watch is beautiful. The understanding of space, ability to play quick passes, 2 on 1's, positioning, composure...like nothing I can't ever remember seeing from an English midfielder (especially at his age) before. His ability to control and architect the midfield reminds me (not surprisingly) of a lot of the great Spanish midfielders we've seen recently. Pep is going to be the guy that brings England out of the age of hoofing it.

Reactions: 21

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Speaking of Pep, he is the best thing to ever happen to English football. He is training English footballers to actually play technically instead of the rugby stuff they prefer. Watching the way that Phil Foden has developed under his watch is beautiful. The understanding of space, ability to play quick passes, 2 on 1's, positioning, composure...like nothing I can't ever remember seeing from an English midfielder (especially at his age) before. His ability to control and architect the midfield reminds me (not surprisingly) of a lot of the great Spanish midfielders we've seen recently. Pep is going to be the guy that brings England out of the age of hoofing it.

Yeah, it's been fun watching all of the people who talked shit about Pep during his Bayern tenure suddenly go silent. I almost hope he can't win the CL with Citeh either just so those few who still criticize him had some ammo with which to make themselves look foolish. Nagelsmann & Tuchel are world class, but I dunno if even they approach Pep's level.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Also Villa is another team to watch when they come back up. Their own spent like 30m in the Championship last year and has been talking a lot about spending the club back into relevance. Whatever, I embrace it. Bring the money in. When everyone spends incredible amounts to compete, at least you get the potential for competition, although teams might have to wait for Pep to leave for this to be more than a one team league.
Yeah Wolves are doing this right now, and Mendes is making all of his clients go to that team. Which is why I bet Andre Silva leaves Milan after just a year to join them when they're in the PL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad