The True Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: Part VI

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The big Spanish giants are getting older and are not as dominant as they once were. Bayern is in the same boat as well, there is an opening for someone to step in and be a huge player at the CL level.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The big Spanish giants are getting older and are not as dominant as they once were. Bayern is in the same boat as well, there is an opening for someone to step in and be a huge player at the CL level.

It's quite fukcing hilarious this Madrid team had some on this board claiming the greatest team of all time. 2 months later people are saying not as good as before and are getting older. LOL. LOVE IT

They aren't winning shit and it could end up being a disaster if ZIzo can't adjust to the reality around him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jupp is going to win the CL with Bayern just to give Pep haters more ammo while also setting unrealistic expectations for Nagelsmann's Bayern tenure.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I didn't watch that match so can't tell you. Stuttgart aren't very interesting so I haven't watched them much this year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@Duchene2MacKinnon What are your thoughts about the Coutinho deal?

@cgf What's up with this lack of respect for Auba? Going to China seems like a last resort since nobody wants to buy him. Why?

The Liverpool fans in the Winter Window thread are going ****ing nuts, they think they're going to be able to buy all these players and play them without any backlash. It is going to be great to see when 99% of these don't happen.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

@cgf What's up with this lack of respect for Auba? Going to China seems like a last resort since nobody wants to buy him. Why?

The Liverpool fans in the Winter Window thread are going ****ing nuts, they think they're going to be able to buy all these players and play them without any backlash. It is going to be great to see when 99% of these don't happen.

Pointless and irrational. Could've signed better players with less money. Still Coutinho should help barca shore up that midfield.

Who do they think they're getting? Lemar, I think that's realistic. However, I see your point prior to Lego signing for Munich... I could've sworn he was a Liverpool player lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pointless and irrational. Could've signed better players with less money. Still Coutinho should help barca shore up that midfield.

Who do they think they're getting? Lemar, I think that's realistic. However, I see your point prior to Lego signing for Munich... I could've sworn he was a Liverpool player lol.
Sorry to hear that, but like I said in that thread, Coutinho's technical skills are ridiculously good and were some of the best in the EPL. So it's not like you're getting a useless player, but Barca showed some desperation here I think.

You know, for some reason I just cannot see them getting Lemar. They have the money for it no doubt from Coutinho deal, but beyond arrogant Evilo isn't one to make things up. If he can't see him leaving, then there is a good chance he stays because of the World Cup in June. I also think that Arsenal will be more desperate for Lemar and can guarantee him playing time (since they're going to sell Sanchez to get him). Something Liverpool cannot do considering they have to play Firmino, Mane, and Salah who play all the positions he does. Then Ketia has the ability to play as a CAM making Lemar fight for that position as well when he joins next summer. I do think they buy Mahrez and maybe someone for the midfield, but the Pool fans think they're getting Mahrez, Lemar on top of VVD is just nonsense. They probably think they're going to buy Sandro and Malcom in addition hahahaha.

Quick question, who is the Argentinian Arsenal is rumoured after, something like Pavlov (that's more Russian than Spanish, hahah). Got any insider details here D2M?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sorry to hear that, but like I said in that thread, Coutinho's technical skills are ridiculously good and were some of the best in the EPL. So it's not like you're getting a useless player, but Barca showed some desperation here I think.

Quick question, who is the Argentinian Arsenal is rumoured after, something like Pavlov (that's more Russian than Spanish, hahah). Got any insider details here D2M?

Yeah, I like Couts just not the price tag and the expectation it comes with. I.e Iniesta's replacement. I think of this as more Ivan's.

I mentioned in the winter transfer thread... Pavon* lol. He's a prototypical Argentinean player, great dribbler, pacey but lacks the final ball and isn't all that smart. Think a watered down ADM or Lavezzi. Don't think he's anything special tbh.

One player from Argentina who has yet to be linked with Europe but apparently is on the verge to Atlanta is Barco. Arsenal should sign him and save my from heartache. He's a special talent that is at risk of pissing it all away.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal should go for Leon Bailey
With that sort of name I am expecting him to be German and insanely fast.

E: He's Jamaican so that is a good start, so he's probably really fast then. Looking on transfermarkt his minutes per goal is ****ing insane (161 minutes). That's better than...

- Coman: 479 minutes per goal
- Brandt: 292 minutes
- Oyarzabal: 207 minutes
- Malcom: 210 minutes
- Mahrez: 253 minutes
- Lemar: 511 minutes

Not that this sort of data determines a player, Bailey might be in a really good position at Leverkusen, but for someone to be that productive at his age is quite ridiculous.

In other news we lose in the FA Cup. What will Wenger win this time to have a passable resume for the Arsenal fans this season? He has already wanted to commit suicide once this season.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Age + wages

Auba's technical skills have improved a lot since Tuchel first got his hands on him, and he's become a very clever finisher in the box; but I'd be anxious about paying what BVB want for him & giving him the contract he wants unless I was convinced he had another 3-4 years before suffering any slow down; because without his athleticism he becomes just a good poacher, only without the hold-up game of someone like Ibra or Lukaku.

Maybe this is because I'm a small club fan, but dropping 70M+ on a transfer fee and another fortune on his wages seems way too risky for me...though I could see an EPL team that's starved for goals thinking differently...or maybe one of the milan teams with their new chinese owners, especially if Inter sells Icardi.

Arsenal should go for Leon Bailey

With Brandt looking set for Bayern that's probably not a bad bet. I think Bailey's gotten a little over-rated this season because I see more Gnabry than Sane in his decision making in the final third & in possession. But the kid can fly and dribble past guys in space...Kloppo would love him.

Last edited:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Aubamayang is a guy that is simply built to play at BVB. No other team is going to get the same production from him, and a lot of people (including myself) would worry about getting an aging forward with not so great technical skills.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Aubamayang is a guy that is simply built to play at BVB. No other team is going to get the same production from him, and a lot of people (including myself) would worry about getting an aging forward with not so great technical skills.

I don't agree with that. He'd score even more for Citeh, LFC and maybe TSG/Napoli, but he either needs to play for a team who do most of their damage on the run (like LFC or RB) or a team that is so good in possession that they can get away with a more pure finisher up top like Citeh, Napoli or Hoffenheim. Through the rest of the decade I have no worries about his production slowing down as long as he's played as a striker and doesn't get put on the wing 'because he played there as a youth'.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I don't agree with that. He'd score even more for Citeh, LFC and maybe TSG/Napoli, but he either needs to play for a team who do most of their damage on the run (like LFC or RB) or a team that is so good in possession that they can get away with a more pure finisher up top like Citeh, Napoli or Hoffenheim. Through the rest of the decade I have no worries about his production slowing down as long as he's played as a striker and doesn't get put on the wing 'because he played there as a youth'.

I mean he would score more for City, but they are also the best team on the planet with the best manager on the planet. I mean, somehow Pep has Raheem Sterling with 18 total goals this season. My worry with him going to a Klopp team is getting hurt, a big injury at his age could really damage his career, and we know how Klopp loves to run players into the ground.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think I've mentioned it before on here, but I'm just going to mention again the fact that Klopp has gotten so little out of Daniel Sturridge annoys me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean he would score more for City, but they are also the best team on the planet with the best manager on the planet. I mean, somehow Pep has Raheem Sterling with 18 total goals this season. My worry with him going to a Klopp team is getting hurt, a big injury at his age could really damage his career, and we know how Klopp loves to run players into the ground.

I've loved watching them play and they're in better form than Real; but their midfield and backline are still issues that the big 3 should be able to capitalize on...especially with Jupp back at Bayern.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I've loved watching them play and they're in better form than Real; but their midfield and backline are still issues that the big 3 should be able to capitalize on...especially with Jupp back at Bayern.

City are on the best form... I think they take the CL this year. Real are done, PSG have a shot, Barca paper tigers and Munich meh.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

At the end of the day Pep has done a great job with both the backline and the midfield. I've felt for a long, long time City needs a better six and a new backline, but they are getting it done and some players I had for dead like Fernandinho and even Fabian f***ing Delph are playing out of their mind. Obviously upgrades still need to be made, and in previous years this team would not be able to compete with the other mega-clubs, but right now I think that with the weakening of Bayern-Barca-Real City are the best club.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They got better with the Laporte signing, most definitely.

They are better for it. He should be a regular starter once he gets accustomed to the league. However, he's cup tied and will not help them in their CL campaign. He will give some much needed rest to Otamendi/Stones by playing in the league and cup games though.

Will be interesting to see how Pep deals with having 2 slow CB's. Against the likes of Salah,Hazard,Mane, Auba this could be problematic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad