The Tomas Plekanec Thread

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

Signing Marleau, signing Moore (although that contract isn't a big deal it cost a younger player a roster spot).

To clarify my original point this also extends to Babcock's decisions, not just Lamoriello's moves.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Haven't watched any leafs games but how has he been? He should be a rock defensively for you guys, shutting down top opposition while killing penalty. If you guys for some reason don't already love him, you sure will in the playoffs.

Such an underrated player :yo:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Haven't watched any leafs games but how has he been? He should be a rock defensively for you guys, shutting down top opposition while killing penalty. If you guys for some reason don't already love him, you sure will in the playoffs.

Sorry but he's been a disappointment. Faceoffs are good but he can't seem to accept passes or make passes. Plays are dying when he's on.

Has taken 3 lazy man penalties since joining the team as well. Legs stop moving and swinging the stick instead.

Not a good showing so far but hopefully he shows this underrated form we keep hearing about

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
He's looked better of late. Our fourth line has been one of our best prior to tonight, though that's probably more to do with Kappy's excellent play.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

his line has been our best line in the last two games. he's not spectacular but he is reliable and steady

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's looked better of late. Our fourth line has been one of our best prior to tonight, though that's probably more to do with Kappy's excellent play.

All the stats are misleading on this guy. The 4th line itself is much more effective and less of a liability right now. Babcock can play that line whenever he wants pretty much and not be worried. Even if it happens to be against a pretty good line. The 4th line does not get caught in their own end and the shooting gallery has stopped. People so quickly forget how the 4th line would get hemmed in regularly with Moore. That isn't happening now which is worth it's weight in gold.

I see PLENTY of chances that Kappy is just not scoring on. If Kapanen stops being Leafs version of Grabner, Pleks would have a few points easily.

Reactions: moon111

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Pleks has been pretty good the last while. More tenacious than I originally thought.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This guy couldn’t score on an empty net if he had the chance. He’s looked a bit better because of kap and Johnson’s speed pressuring our opponents. Put Moore back in and our 4th line will be dangerously offensively too.

Reactions: IamruKusleaf

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
What a black hole of offense. Frustrating for Kapanen and Johnsson im sure. Some good games lately but not much to show for it.

Something about the 4C spot the last 2 years. Zero offense from there.

Reactions: Vintage93

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Signing Marleau, signing Moore (although that contract isn't a big deal it cost a younger player a roster spot).

To clarify my original point this also extends to Babcock's decisions, not just Lamoriello's moves.
Marleau has 25 goals, and has played a stable 2 way game all season. He’s been exactly as advertised

Reactions: Cams and Rob Brown

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Coming in peace, I guess you've already been told but Plek usually becomes a non- factor when the playoffs start. Even in his prime years he never contributed in any form.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He was brought in for the playoffs, that reason only. He is a late season rental to make the fourth line competitive. He isn't scoring points but it is ridiculous to criticize fourth line player for offensive production. His value will only be determined by his performance in the playoffs.
And, even if he is terrible in the playoffs, this is what possible contending teams do, a second round pick is nothing for this team, we have a ridiculous core of young offense and defense and a vezina calibre goalie signed until 2021.

Reactions: Once

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Just keep winning faceoffs and checking guys while clogging the neutral zone, that is something that this team didn't have and needed. Don't understand why people were actually expecting offense from Plek.

Reactions: supermann_98

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
:golfnana:
Just keep winning faceoffs and checking guys while clogging the neutral zone, that is something that this team didn't have and needed. Don't understand why people were actually expecting offense from Plek.

Because this is a winning team in the NHL. He's supposed to be keeping pace with other line mates in points and not the back up goalie.

Zero points in 12 games?! Are you ********* kidding me?!. If Babs and company are not happy with Moore then drop Bozak down, and put Aaltonen in the 3C position. I don't care if we gave up a 2nd for Plekanec. Our 4th line is obviously built to counter punch and score using speed. Bozak can win faceoffs and clog the neutral zone too!

:eek::help::thumbd::golfnana::habs:shakehead:banghead::madfire::damnpc::groucho:

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
The 4th line has looked much better with him on it? Coincidence. I don’t think so.

Would like to see some offence from him though.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Should be:

Hyman - Plekanec - Brown/Komarov

or

Johnsson - Moore - Kapanen

Plekanec doesn't have enough offensive skill to play with Johnsson and Kapanen. Either replace him with Moore, or put some defensive wingers on his line instead.

Rainney

Jan 17, 2012
I laugh whenever I see the "he will only be judged for his playoff performances" posts. As if he's a proven star or has a proven playoff track record, and he can afford to take regular season games off :laugh:. Might be the only mediocre 4th liner in the league that will "only be judged during the playoffs".

Last edited:
Reactions: IamruKusleaf

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
  • Out of the 427 forwards in the NHL who've played 24 games or more, there are only 17 that have a lower assist/60 then Kapanen.
  • On Nov 4, Matt Martin has 3 assists. Kapanen has 2 assists in his entire NHL career.
  • Kapanen's 0.31 assists per 60. That's 712th in the NHL.
Tomas Plekanec isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut, but he might just be playing with one of the worst playmaking wingers in the NHL.
Granted fourth line duty usually pulls anyone's offensive numbers down, but really it won't stop players like Nylander or Marner.
Yes it's a mighty high comparison, but even Martin has 5 primary assists.

However, how is the fourth line deployed? It's like a defensive wall, that shoots one (Kapanen) rocket at the enemy. This is a similar strategy
that was happening with Komarov/Kadri/Brown. Shoot Kadri up and have the others lock down. It's a system that neutralized the opposition,
but unless you're the one-man show, you're not going to be generating much offense.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
rs_450x258-130830160511-leaving.gif
Perfect.
Shut it down. We're done here, folks.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Another 2nd in the toilet and for those who crap on 2nds, take a look at Dermott.
There's also the likes of Scott Harrington, and Jared Knight etc etc . Like with every draft, not everyone is going to be an NHL'er. Especially late 2nd rounders, alot of them don't amount to much. Having a mentality of "you can't trade a draft pick because a good player was drafted before", doesn't make sense because you can say that about any round. I'd willing to bet a majority of people would throw away 7th rounders , despite that round producing the likes of Palat, Dzingel, Haula and Demers.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm a big fan of what Pleks is bringing. The 4th line is now a safe zone for the first time in a while, instead of heart attack central. Suddenly the 4th line isn't spending any time hemmed in it's own zone.

Reactions: thewave and Cor

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm a big fan of what Pleks is bringing. The 4th line is now a safe zone for the first time in a while, instead of heart attack central. Suddenly the 4th line isn't spending any time hemmed in it's own zone.

Exactly, they are largely in the offensive zone. That’s what we want. The offense will come.

I’m going to have to research how many 5v5 goals against Plekanec has been on the ice for since he came to the Leafs. I’d wager it’s low

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad