The Tomas Plekanec Thread

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
What is worse is giving up 2nd round picks in consecutive years for both/either these players. IMO

Hopefully we get some return on our investment in the playoffs from Pleks or it will be an ill advised move.

The fact he is life long Hab and to a diehard Leaf fan that makes him almost impossible to like or cheer for after a decade of cheering against vehemently as a arch rival to the Leafs.
Obviously management thinks having good vets around and some depth for the most important time of the season is more valuable than the pick. This is immeasurable for a person like us who don't see what happens off the ice every day. The hope is that the young players in our long term plans learn something from these guys. That's how I see it anyway.

Reactions: meefer

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I agree that he hasn't looked good, but I still think he's a better player all around than Boyle.
Boyle was useless in the playoffs, so this might turn out better if he does his job matching up defensively. Have to think he gets up for a series against Boston.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What is worse is giving up 2nd round picks in consecutive years for both/either these players. IMO

Hopefully we get some return on our investment in the playoffs from Pleks or it will be an ill advised move.

The fact he is life long Hab and to a diehard Leaf fan that makes him almost impossible to like or cheer for after a decade of cheering against vehemently as a arch rival to the Leafs.

Thankfully, we're now at a point where we're upset at the loss of 2nd round picks, as opposed to 2nd overall picks.

Reactions: White Shadow

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Boyle was useless in the playoffs, so this might turn out better if he does his job matching up defensively. Have to think he gets up for a series against Boston.
Useless in the playoffs? Boyle was our 2nd best center last ywar in the playoffs. Kadri and bozak lines were average at best, boyle had a really gokd series. Boyle is a better player than pleks. Hopefully we dont make any more deals for expiring 4th line centers though. If we go after a rental go a for quality caliber player and not garbage like pleks.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Interesting stats 9 games in.

It's disappointing to see 0 points, even though he's a #4C, as he has the offensive ability. But per Hockey Reference his d-zone starts are over 75% ... That definitely limits his offensive opportunities. One positive is that he is 56% on the face-off dot - so he is doing well in that area. Given he's primarily starting in his own zone that's an extra positive.

His CF% is 46.9 - which is 5% below his averages for the last few years .. Disappointing but has reasonable grounds to improve. Also his team's on-ice save percentage is only 87% which is low.

My takeaway is he's done adequately in the role he's given, but has grounds for improvement going forward. Basically, he could be better but he could be worse as well.

Reactions: meefer

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
# 41 apologetic
Just wait until after a Tuesday away game and a day off on Wednesday and game on Thursday , then you will see the value of Pleks

He still F€£¥in still sucks
He stinks
He’s aweful
He’s turtle Hab
Has been is and always will

This time I’m not sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
Gooo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

Reactions: hotpaws

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting stats 9 games in.

It's disappointing to see 0 points, even though he's a #4C, as he has the offensive ability. But per Hockey Reference his d-zone starts are over 75% ... That definitely limits his offensive opportunities. One positive is that he is 56% on the face-off dot - so he is doing well in that area. Given he's primarily starting in his own zone that's an extra positive.

His CF% is 46.9 - which is 5% below his averages for the last few years .. Disappointing but has reasonable grounds to improve. Also his team's on-ice save percentage is only 87% which is low.

My takeaway is he's done adequately in the role he's given, but has grounds for improvement going forward. Basically, he could be better but he could be worse as well.
We brought him in to take away defensive zone starts from the Matthews and Kadri lines.

This being said, he's still been bad.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He's been pretty garb.

But really the important thing here is that we've traded away a bunch of stuff the last 2 seasons to fill the 4C hole and it's just not happening. When Turtleneck goes back to Montreal in the offseason we'll be back at square 1.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Most obvious is the lack of offensive production, hopefully he'll be due soon. He's looked a bit better the past few games. For the most part he's getting a huge chunk of defensive zone faceoffs and doing pretty well in that regard, which is not surprising. Not too worried, I mean - it could be worse. He could be not winning a single faceoff.

Interested to see how we approach the 4th line centre option for next season. It's been an issue for us for a few years, hopefully we don't have to give up another 2nd next year. Need Goat/Alt to have a productive summer and come ready.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Plekanec has to pick it up or he will risk being a healthy scratch in the playoffs. He hasn't been an upgrade on Dominic Moore thus far

Reactions: ToMaLe

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Apologetics # 43
Just wait till he plays in Nashville and listens to his favourite country star and eats possum and grits .
Just wait !

He Still F€£¥in sucks !
Will always suck
He’s a Hab and not even a good one

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
GOoo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Don’t think he stood out in a bad way at all tonight. I really liked the fourth line tonight. Johnsson and Kapanen are so fast and relentless on the forecheck and backcheck that they disrupted Nashville’s breakouts and rushes numerous times. They pressure the puck all over the ice resulting in bad passes and broken plays. I thought Plekanec did a good job letting those two chase the puck and providing good support through the middle. If Babcock didn’t love Komarov so much I’d be surprised if he got back into the lineup without an injury.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
All he needs to do is not cost us goals and win faceoffs on icings. That’s it.

He’s quite slow in the footspeed dept, got a few penalties for not being able to keep up.

I’m pretty sure he’s not much of an upgrade over Moore, but if we have an injury come playoff time, he might be important.

But really, does anyone care if he ever gets a point? He’s not really shutting down opposition, he’s just trying to keep up with the pace.

Who knows what our 4c situation is long term. Seams like they think it’s a good spot to stick a gud pro vet and that’s it.

Leo could be our 4th line center...not sure why he isn’t getting a look there...obviously, he’s hurt right now, but still, good spot for him.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Honestly, I'm happy if he plays like a 35 year-old player who knows his place. It's much better then Patrick Marleau thinking he's still an 80 point scorer and just being a complete defensive liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad