The Tomas Plekanec Thread

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm a big fan of what Pleks is bringing. The 4th line is now a safe zone for the first time in a while, instead of heart attack central. Suddenly the 4th line isn't spending any time hemmed in it's own zone.

I don't know why people only focus on the points, he wasn't brought into score points. I think he'll score some eventually but he was brought into make the 4th line into a defensive line to reduce the pressure on Kadri and to a lesser extent Matthews.

Assuming we face Boston in the first round, Kadri and Plekanec will be doing the lionshare of defensive play against Bergeron's line is my guess.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I don't know why people only focus on the points, he wasn't brought into score points. I think he'll score some eventually but he was brought into make the 4th line into a defensive line to reduce the pressure on Kadri and to a lesser extent Matthews.

Assuming we face Boston in the first round, Kadri and Plekanec will be doing the lionshare of defensive play against Bergeron's line is my guess.

That is probably the game plan and Bergeron will eat Plekanec alive. He has played 12 games with the Leafs and has no points and is -4.

The 4th line looks better because AJ has come in and played well and fast, he has the speed to keep up with Kap. This line would look more dangerous with a competent center.

Since Pleks was suppose to be brought in to be an upgrade on Moore lets look at the numbers this season with the Leafs:

Moore: 6g - 6a - 12p in 49gp. 14pim, +3 54.1% face off
Plekanec: 0g - 0a - 0p in 12gp. 6pim, -4 52.9% face off (all season - didn't see his % as a Leaf only)

Reactions: IamruKusleaf

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
That is probably the game plan and Bergeron will eat Plekanec alive. He has played 12 games with the Leafs and has no points and is -4.

The 4th line looks better because AJ has come in and played well and fast, he has the speed to keep up with Kap. This line would look more dangerous with a competent center.

Since Pleks was suppose to be brought in to be an upgrade on Moore lets look at the numbers this season with the Leafs:

Plekanec: 0g - 0a - 0p in 12gp. 6pim, -4 52.9% face off (all season - didn't see his % as a Leaf only)

Bravo bravo bravo

Now the old school “ just watching him test “ that turtle Hab play like ..... matches the analytics .
Mic drop

He stinks
He stinks

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
Goooo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Since he became a Leaf Plekanec trails only Matthews on faceoff win percentage. Plekanec has 55.1%, he also has taken more faceoff per game on average. These are only using his stats as a Leaf. I think Babcock trust Plekanec more then he does Moore.

https://puckbase.com/stats/faceoff-percentage?team=TOR&sort=faceoff_pct&sort_order=desc

Tomas PlekanecTOR55.1%1271210.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dominic MooreTOR54.1%357497.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Edit* Just for fun here are his Montreal stats, he's an upgrade on Moore, especially if we needed someone to slot higher in the lineup.

Tomas PlekanecMTL52.6%10726017.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: thewave

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

hmm.

Pleks/Kappy/Johnsson: 31:28min, 0gf, 3ga, -3
Pleks/Willy/Hyman: 17:34min, 2gf, 2ga, +0
Pleks/Kappy/Leivo: 12:26min, 0gf, 0ga, +0
Pleks/Kappy/Moore: 9:44min, 1gf, 0ga, +1
Pleks/Komo/Leivo: 7:42min, 0gf, 1ga, -1

if you're looking at +/- to judge, then AJ has been the problem, not a help.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Since weve acquired turtle Hab and we’all been watching him as True blue Leafs that we are . Really ask yourselves objectively, really do though , what has he done ?
Now think fellow Leaf fans , forget analytics, forget corsi and anyother numbers ( and by the way they Also speak for themselves here ) but forget them all !
We’re you ever afraid or antsy about us playing the Habs when he played for them ? Really think ?
Ever ?
U must admit the answer was no !
Have we ever had to target him , or at least line match him when he played for them ?
U have to admit it no , never !
Also Marchand’s comments about him , come on , it’s not that he or the Bruins were ever afraid of him or were careful of him or thought highly of him in any way .
It was just , quite frankly they and him just dislike him and made fun of him that’s all !!
Anyway back to our glorious LEAFS
Really think clearly !
And think about every game since he’s been ugh on our team ,
What has he done , really what has he done ?
Think about all the pressure and forechecking that A.J. And Kappy have been the only participants and the driving forces and also on the defensive side as well .
Really really think clearly and rationally .
What has he done for us ?
Think through all of the plays he’s been involved in other than maybe 1 or 2 here and there ?
Nada
He absolutely stinks
Always has
Always will !

Real sorry
GOo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I haven't minded Pleks game, I think it's gotten stronger as he's gone along... As long as he peaks in the playoffs that is all I really care about. His offensive game will come around, it's pretty easy to see he's got more offensive game that Moore does. Just needs to break out a bit.

55% on the draw with 75% of his face-offs in the d-zone, and is getting limited minutes ... So it's not like scoring chances are abundant.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Since weve acquired turtle Hab and we’all been watching him as True blue Leafs that we are . Really ask yourselves objectively, really do though , what has he done ?
Now think fellow Leaf fans , forget analytics, forget corsi and anyother numbers ( and by the way they Also speak for themselves here ) but forget them all !
We’re you ever afraid or antsy about us playing the Habs when he played for them ? Really think ?
Ever ?
Have we ever had to target him , or at least line match him when he played for them ?
Also Marchand’s comments about him , come on , it’s not that he or the Bruins were ever afraid of him or were careful of him or thought highly of him in any way .
It was just , quite frankly they and him just dislike him and made fun of him that’s all !!
Really think clearly !
Think about all the pressure and forechecking that A.J. And Kappy have been the only participants and the driving forces and also on the defensive side as well .
Think through all of the plays he’s been involved in other than maybe 1 or 2 here and there ?
Nada
He absolutely stinks
Always has
Always will !

Real sorry
GOo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

d3eb22dbe6d11aaba291820faf8834e8.jpg

Reactions: IamruKusleaf

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Pleks has gotten better as each game passes. He wasn't brought in to play on the top line or anything. The organization saw him as an upgrade on Moore, and went for it when it was pretty obvious the team would make the playoffs. I mean, this is the second NHL team he's played for in his career. It's going to be a big change. Plus, he's given more of a defensive role than in the past. His offensive numbers are going to drop. But if he can continue to develop some chemistry with Kappy, he'll pot some points. All I care about is that he can shut down the 2nd or 3rd line of a team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
hmm.

Pleks/Kappy/Johnsson: 31:28min, 0gf, 3ga, -3
Pleks/Willy/Hyman: 17:34min, 2gf, 2ga, +0
Pleks/Kappy/Leivo: 12:26min, 0gf, 0ga, +0
Pleks/Kappy/Moore: 9:44min, 1gf, 0ga, +1
Pleks/Komo/Leivo: 7:42min, 0gf, 1ga, -1

if you're looking at +/- to judge, then AJ has been the problem, not a help.

Yep. Names matter though. Leivo is not a name well liked around here for instance.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I know that Tomas Plekanec wasn’t necessarily acquired for scoring, but 12 games without a point to start his career is less than ideal. Last season, the Leafs gave up a second for Brian Boyle, who then put up 3 points in 21 regular-season games (but did have two in six playoff games). It has been back-to-back years giving up second round picks, and the total point production so far is five points in 39 games. Against Buffalo, Plekanec had a chance in all alone off of a Kapanen play and got robbed – hopefully he gets one, gains some confidence, and gets on a bit of a roll.
Toronto Maple Leafs Notebook: Should the Leafs want the Bruins or Lightning in Round 1?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Ever ?
Really think clearly !
Nada
He absolutely stinks
Always has
Always will !

Real sorry
GOo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

This is a ridiculous post. I remember Pleks in his prime coming into Toronto and dominating the game at both ends of the ice during a Habs win. All the Leafs players in the post game show were saying how good he was.

To say he's now a shadow of his former self is an egregious understatement. He's not even a shadow of his former self, he's just done. Has been for at least 2 seasons now. His 29 goal, 69 point season was a Bergeron like season - the stats didn't tell how much of an impact he had on the game on the defensive side.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
This is a ridiculous post. I remember Pleks in his prime coming into Toronto and dominating the game at both ends of the ice during a Habs win. All the Leafs players in the post game show were saying how good he was.

To say he's now a shadow of his former self is an egregious understatement. He's not even a shadow of his former self, he's just done. Has been for at least 2 seasons now. His 29 goal, 69 point season was a Bergeron like season - the stats didn't tell how much of an impact he had on the game on the defensive side.

Ppppllllleeeaaaseee !!!

Wow he dominated a game wow ( a game ) woweee woowww ( a game ) now that’s an achievement
I remember Richard Wallin dominated a game once for us
Wtf does that supposed to mean
Really !
You guys are really starting to look like us in the 80s with Ballard ha ha
Not a good look by the way !
Pulling in games here and there !
Look you guys got lucky in 83 and since then it’s slowly slowly but recently rapidly slipping away
Get used to it
And get used to turtle Hab next year celebrating his 1000 game for u and dominating “ a game “ next year against Arizona and by dominating it means -2 instead of -4
How great will his number look in the rafters next to the great rocket and Mr Belliveau and Elmer Lach
Really
Come on sir get used to it !!
Stay on your side of the fence the scenery is to bright on this side
Merci

Bookem Danno

Sorry
GOoo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Dominic Moore - 12 points in 49 games played (many of them with Matt Martin)

Thomas Plekanec - 0 points in 12 games played (all of them with Kapanen, recently also with Johnsson).

It's not been a great start for him in blue and white.

This was dubbed Brian Boyle 2.0 when the trade was made. So far it's more like Eric Fehr 2.0

Let's hope he figures it out, and we start to see value in the playoffs.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Ppppllllleeeaaaseee !!!

Wow he dominated a game wow ( a game ) woweee woowww ( a game ) now that’s an achievement
I remember Richard Wallin dominated a game once for us
Wtf does that supposed to mean
Really !
You guys are really starting to look like us in the 80s with Ballard ha ha
Not a good look by the way !
Pulling in games here and there !
Look you guys got lucky in 83 and since then it’s slowly slowly but recently rapidly slipping away
Get used to it
And get used to turtle had next year celebrating his 1000 game for u and dominating “ a game “ next year against Arizona and by dominating it means -2 instead of -4
How great will his number look in the rafters next to the great rocket and Mr Belliveau and Elmer Lach
Really
Come on sir get used to it !!
Stay on your side of the fence the scenery is to bright on this side
Merci

Bookem Danno

Sorry

Another ridiculous post. I was only referencing the Leafs game to say that those on your side of the fence saw the kind of player he used to be. He had a few more good games than just that one...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Another ridiculous post. I was only referencing the Leafs game to say that those on your side of the fence saw the kind of player he used to be. He had a few more good games than just that one...
Plekanec of old was a solid top 6 C.
The Plekanec today is not, nor is he worth a 2nd round pick. However, kudos to Montreal for finding someone to overpay.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The Plekanec today is not, nor is he worth a 2nd round pick. However, kudos to Montreal for finding someone to overpay.

Yes, everyone in Montreal except for Claude Julien and Marc Bergevin knows Plekanec is done. You can be thankful Babcock isn't playing him 15 to 17 minutes a night, first out in OT, EVERTIME. It was maddening. But there are so many more maddening decisions that continue, the infuriation hasn't stopped with Plekanec being moved. Julien refuses to put Galchenyuk at center and we have Jacob De la Rose and Logan Shaw centering our 2nd and 3rd lines with the Danault injury.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens

***** to Habs 100

“ solid top six “
Again exactly my point !
If he was your solid top six , then that wasn’t a big accomplishment on your team , he would have been a soft bottom six on any other team .
Also you did make a good point though , your GM finally made a good deal for once , you got us there for sure 2 castaways and our second 2nd rounder , boy you got us !
I guess now that acquisition will somewhat tip the scales in your favour to go against your Subban trade and your Drouin trade !
That should even everything out now and your what is it , 10 , 11 ,12 year ? Contract at what 11 mil. Per for Price ?
By the way , where would you guys be without him all these years masking your brutal smurf , Royal Dalton glass team .
Viva Les Habs
How many times where you guys shut out this year ? was it a franchise record ? what was it ? 12 or 13 times ?
Again I’m sure the glorious Habs franchise and all those great alumni are really loving that your torch has been handed down to your AHL quality team !

Na na na na na hey hey get lost!
Na na na na hey hey ......

Not sorry at all to say
GOoo LEAFS GOoooo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
***** to Habs 100

“ solid top six “
Again exactly my point !
If he was your solid top six , then that wasn’t a big accomplishment on your team , he would have been a soft bottom six on any other team .
Also you did make a good point though , your GM finally made a good deal for once , you got us there for sure 2 castaways and our second 2nd rounder , boy you got us !
I guess now that acquisition will somewhat tip the scales in your favour to go against your Subban trade and your Drouin trade !
That should even everything out now and your what is it , 10 , 11 ,12 year ? Contract at what 11 mil. Per for Price ?
By the way , where would you guys be without him all these years masking your brutal smurf , Royal Dalton glass team .
Viva Les Habs
How many times where you guys shut out this year ? was it a franchise record ? what was it ? 12 or 13 times ?
Again I’m sure the glorious Habs franchise and all those great alumni are really loving that your torch has been handed down to your AHL quality team !

Na na na na na hey hey get lost!
Na na na na hey hey ......

Not sorry at all to say

You're replying to someone else's post, not mine, but using my name???

I still watch Coach's Corner. Don's way off most of the time, but he's entertaining. You should apply when he retires.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens

I should have replied to you first my friend , so my apologies for using your quote to attatch to the other quotes that Habs100 had .
Again my apologies !
I wanted to jump on to your quote and add it to his

Cheers
ruKus
Go LEAFS GOoooo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad