OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yes keep it about the events and not the politics of it please.

The news is doing a good enough job of that sadly. All the channels are starting to gravitate away from reactionary news to the agenda's of their corespondents (of all sides).

Also Brian Williams will not stop bringing up JFK.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
CNN now showing footage that reportedly shows a cop gunned down after rushing the shooter.

Think about this ---that cop had a pistol, almost certainly either a 9mm or a .45 ACP, and yet he takes on a shooter one on one, who we're going to learn likely had a rifle in .223 or 5.56 Nato.

That was an absolute suicide mission that brave officer went on, and it cost him his life, to defend the hundreds of civilian police protesters on the streets.

Horrible, horrible, horrible irony.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One of the sad parts is this is till on going. Hopefully someone doesn't try to go down in a "blaze of glory" so to speak.

They still have some guy cornered who is making lots of threats.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
If you're that enraged that you will target a cop - how about targeting the actual cop that is causing the problem and not randoms that are in large majority - good cops.

That's not only cowardice, it's taking out the solution, not the problem.

Good cops will end up leaving their jobs because it's not worth it and only the rotten parts will remain and it will become worse and worse as they become even quicker to shoot first, ask questions later.

This is a vicious cycle that needs to end and if it doesn't - military response will be warranted and then you're going to have the anti-government nuts piling on.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
CNN now showing footage that reportedly shows a cop gunned down after rushing the shooter.

Think about this ---that cop had a pistol, almost certainly either a 9mm or a .45 ACP, and yet he takes on a shooter one on one, who we're going to learn likely had a rifle in .223 or 5.56 Nato.

That was an absolute suicide mission that brave officer went on, and it cost him his life, to defend the hundreds of civilian police protesters on the streets.

Horrible, horrible, horrible irony.

Not sure if I just saw the same video. Was I think a cop behind a pillar and I assume the shooter rushed him and gunned him down point blank.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Not sure if I just saw the same video. Was I think a cop behind a pillar and I assume the shooter rushed him and gunned him down point blank.
This is exactly what happened. Horrifying video. Believe Fox showed it, CNN showed something else.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Good cops will end up leaving their jobs because it's not worth it and only the rotten parts will remain and it will become worse and worse as they become even quicker to shoot first, ask questions later.

I agree that it's going to get tougher and tougher to recruit cops. WTH would sign up for this at this point? There's gotta' be a feeling of abandonment among those that wear blue.

Disagree with the 2nd part though, I think the results have (sadly) shown the exact opposite, that since Ferguson and Baltimore, cops have said "screw it" and are staying out of minority areas due to either a fear of what will happen to them if they god forbid do have to legitimately use their service weapon or just a generalized fear that superiors wont have their back even in a non-lethal altercation with a minority perpetrator. The "Ferguson Effect" (below) as it's called. After years of petty crime and violent crime decreasing in America, it has spiked in a manner fairly-well correlated with the recent events of the last few years. And I think if anything, some "good cops" may wind up getting killed out of an overly cautious "second guessing" of themselves to not draw their weapon in an instance when they obviously should. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_effect

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
I agree that it's going to get tougher and tougher to recruit cops. WTH would sign up for this at this point? There's gotta' be a feeling of abandonment among those that wear blue.

Disagree with the 2nd part though, I think the results have (sadly) shown the exact opposite, that since Ferguson and Baltimore, cops have said "screw it" and are staying out of minority areas due to either a fear of what will happen to them if they god forbid do have to legitimately use their service weapon or just a generalized fear that superiors wont have their back even in a non-lethal altercation with a minority perpetrator. The "Ferguson Effect" (below) as it's called. After years of petty crime and violent crime decreasing in America, it has spiked in a manner fairly-well correlated with the recent events of the last few years. And I think if anything, some "good cops" may wind up getting killed out of an overly cautious "second guessing" of themselves to not draw their weapon in an instance when they obviously should. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_effect

Good cops uisng deadly force as a last resort - that won't change. It's the lesser ones that will switch to kill first mode and they were the problem to begin with and soon they will be the only ones left in the worst areas which will escalate the tensions even more. That's the death spiral of this issue.

It will become a deadly game of justifiable shootings vs. appropriate shootings and when you're looking for reasons TO SHOOT someone, it never ends well.

Meanwhile the response could well become the ambush game to take out cops at random in response and the media coverage will make it all the more appealing.

5th officer now dead. :(

And my friend was literally right on scene before departing for a flight out of the city as the shooting began. He thought it was fireworks at first but then saw the news and can't believe he was in the middle of where it all went down. He's getting married in a month to boot - that's a little too close for comfort.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Security where I work just sent an email. Protest planned for 5:30. Plan accordingly... and I'm thinking beer or wine? What's most appropriate for a protest?

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I'm concerned that the police killed the suspect with a bomb. That's scary

Would you rather then send him an edible arrangement with a note asking that he come out peacefully? The guy demonstrated a complete disregard for human life and was dealt with accordingly in my book.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Security where I work just sent an email. Protest planned for 5:30. Plan accordingly... and I'm thinking beer or wine? What's most appropriate for a protest?

What area is this? I heard over the scanner earlier that delays to the hospitals by emergency personnel in New Brunswick due to protests.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What area is this? I heard over the scanner earlier that delays to the hospitals by emergency personnel in New Brunswick due to protests.

So sick/injured people could die as a result.

What gives these protesters the right to think they are more importent than anyone else?

Get a permit and protest the legal way which doesnt put others health and safety at risk.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Would you rather then send him an edible arrangement with a note asking that he come out peacefully? The guy demonstrated a complete disregard for human life and was dealt with accordingly in my book.

The implications of the tech is a bit unnerving.

From the information we have it seems like it was used correctly and was needed to prevent more officers from getting shot, but I can see why could see how a robot bomb could be used incorrectly.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Meanwhile the response could well become the ambush game to take out cops at random in response and the media coverage will make it all the more appealing.

Yup. I've written about this phenomena on HFBoards over the years. The sickening almost reverse hero worship some networks and media sources give these murderers is DISGUSTING. It absolutely "encourages" copy-cats, and we've seen that numerous times, from copy-cat tactics, to copy-cat weapon choices, to copy-cat MO (as you alluded to) etc.... Hopefully Rolling Stone doesn't give this murderer a pretty-boy glam cover like he's TIME's Man of The Year like they did with the piece of filth in Beantown.

Getting TFOOT is what's most appropriate. I got caught in the middle of the trust-fund, globe-trotting, career protesters with their "faux outrage" at a G8 summit up in Montreal once while leaving class. It was ridiculous, lighting things on fire, riot gear, bottle and heavy object throwing at police officers just doing their job, breaking out windows, looting, etc. It's not something I want to ever see again.

Reminds me of one of the most famous lines from the entire Archie Bunker series.

Would it make you feel any better, little girl, if they was pushed out of windows?

Last edited by a moderator:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

I appreciate the sarcasm:sarcasm:

I see that this guy, a trained army vet, made up his mind to slaughter white police officers in blind rage. This guy was probably not going to come down and had a death wish. Police snipers have been around for probably a century. Nobody would have been surprised if this guy had his head blown off.

But this is the first time that police have used a bomb against a civilian. It's quite a precedent. Maybe not quite like the first time a nuclear bomb was used, but to me there's a wow factor to it.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
about 'blowing him up'

1) He was dealt with by returning deadly force. Whether that's a sniper shooting his skull or a robot delivering a candygram, I don't care - the appropriate response was lethal force and in a concrete environment, a bullet can ricochet and hit an unintended target so I don't mind the mechanical messenger myself.

2) There was no doubt he was the assailant. He admitted it in 'negotiations' with the police, gave his motive, and indicated he had no intention of giving up and in fact intended to keep killing.

3) He claimed to have IED's planted and was going to detonate them. Whether it was real or not, you have to take him at his word there and not dismiss it. That means an imminent threat to others beyond the 5 people they KNOW he killed at that point.

In the end - he left no doubt, no hope for resolution without more conflict and putting more in harm's way. If that's not an open and shut case for deadly response I don't know what is. He intended to go out in a blaze of glory from the start and that's what he got. He planned too many things too well to not have planned an escape if that's what he wanted and if that got messed up he easily could have negotiated a surrender.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
about 'blowing him up'

1) He was dealt with by returning deadly force. Whether that's a sniper shooting his skull or a robot delivering a candygram, I don't care - the appropriate response was lethal force and in a concrete environment, a bullet can ricochet and hit an unintended target so I don't mind the mechanical messenger myself.

2) There was no doubt he was the assailant. He admitted it in 'negotiations' with the police, gave his motive, and indicated he had no intention of giving up and in fact intended to keep killing.

3) He claimed to have IED's planted and was going to detonate them. Whether it was real or not, you have to take him at his word there and not dismiss it. That means an imminent threat to others beyond the 5 people they KNOW he killed at that point.

In the end - he left no doubt, no hope for resolution without more conflict and putting more in harm's way. If that's not an open and shut case for deadly response I don't know what is. He intended to go out in a blaze of glory from the start and that's what he got. He planned too many things too well to not have planned an escape if that's what he wanted and if that got messed up he easily could have negotiated a surrender.

Most definitely. You said it better than I ever could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad