OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So the Olympics should be interesting even without Zika Virus...

Rio's state government is in such dire straits that two of its hospitals were taken over by the Rio de Janeiro city government to allow doctors to keep receiving their paychecks. Some police stations are so underfunded that they have asked neighbors to donate basic items like toilet paper. Public workers and retirees have suffered months-long delays in receiving their money.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brazils-rio-state-declares-financial-disaster-games-215847439.html

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why didn't the IOC just give up the ghost, admit Brazil was ill-conceived and move the Olympics to the US already? Corruption and/or anti-American sentiment? I suppose that's the easy answer for everything.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I was living in Chicago during the selection process for the 2016 games. I was beyond happy that we didn't get it. The graft and corruption would have been off the charts, even by Olympic standards.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I was living in Chicago during the selection process for the 2016 games. I was beyond happy that we didn't get it. The graft and corruption would have been off the charts, even by Olympic standards.

Yeah, Chicago politics + Olympic games would make the Guinness Book of World Records for corruption and sleaze.

Not to mention, The State of Illinois is already near bankrupt without the Olympics.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Russian track & field athletes banned from Rio Olympics

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...n-track-and-field-team-rio-olympics/85994148/

This is a good start, but given what we now know about Russian athletes and the "secret doping room" in Sochi, a better question is, why arent they all banned? I guess the answer is it comes down to the individual sport's brass, and if so, I say kudos to the track folks.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I hate fox so much. Joe Buck is ruining golf and, unbelievably, they are piping in fake cup noises when the ball goes in the hole. It's a joke.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I wasn't. He's not a great human being. Hopefully he's tamed his demons and is getting his life on track though.

EDIT: BTW, have you ever seen him in an interview? He's weapon's grade stupid.

He doesn't seem so much hyper stupid as heavily medicated and aloof. Though he doesn't seem like the brightest bulb either, so I can understand where you're coming from.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm no fan of AAPL & don't use an iPhone, but the ruling out of China that AAPL infringed on some small Chinese company is an absolute disgrace. This is like Madoff claiming that actually, his clients stole from him.

And then there's this:

The problem is the fake products today they make better quality better price than the real names. They are exactly the [same] factories, exactly the same raw materials, but they do not use the names.

Well isn't that lovely. We offer a "better" version of your stuff for cheaper! IMO, this envelope-pushing is incredibly stupid on China's part, as you have to believe some American manufacturers will instead move to a cheaper-than-America-but-more-expensive-than-China location instead. Certainly tech anyway.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Will stocks plummet tomorrow since GB is leaving the Euro Union?

Can't blame them for leaving that mess.

My prediction? Stocks will be down tomorrow due to uncertainly, but it will not be the disastrous "plummet" you've been told about.

People were even talking about stock market crashes for heaven sake. Completely irresponsible, and it was largely Remain fear-mongering to scare the good people of the UK from voting Leave.

EDIT: And gold should move higher as well in response to this. My guess is, there should be a flight to safety, might be a good day for healthcare stocks and consumer staples (KO, CL, food stocks etc...).

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And good on the UK for voting to decide their own fate in this world.

It's tough to put yourself in the shoes of another culture, but as an American it's very difficult to understand ceding such MASSIVE decisions about your people's future to a consortium of completely disparate nations.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm seeing the S&P futures are off about 90 points on this, which is about a 4% drop. NASDAQ futures down 195 points, which is about 4.5% off. Oil is down (obviously), and Gold is already up $73, which is 5.5%.

Tomorrow (today) is going to be FASCINATING. Dont see how I get anything done at work!

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
My prediction? Stocks will be down tomorrow due to uncertainly, but it will not be the disastrous "plummet" you've been told about.

People were even talking about stock market crashes for heaven sake. Completely irresponsible, and it was largely Remain fear-mongering to scare the good people of the UK from voting Leave.

EDIT: And gold should move higher as well in response to this. My guess is, there should be a flight to safety, might be a good day for healthcare stocks and consumer staples (KO, CL, food stocks etc...).

I don't know about you but I'd say the FTSE futures being down 10% has quite a plummety feel to it

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't know about you but I'd say the FTSE futures being down 10% has quite a plummety feel to it

It's awful, but it's no crash.

Frankly, the reaction of the bond market is FAR more startling than equities. There is a European bond selling frenzy right now, and much of it is flipping into the US.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Just want to chime in on hating Joe Buck. That is all.

**** that guy. The worst national sports broadcaster by a mile. He's tolerable for baseball, but a travesty for football. Now golf? If Fox ever decided to get hockey back would he be calling games because he's Joe Buck?

I'm no fan of AAPL & don't use an iPhone, but the ruling out of China that AAPL infringed on some small Chinese company is an absolute disgrace. This is like Madoff claiming that actually, his clients stole from him.

And then there's this:

Well isn't that lovely. We offer a "better" version of your stuff for cheaper! IMO, this envelope-pushing is incredibly stupid on China's part, as you have to believe some American manufacturers will instead move to a cheaper-than-America-but-more-expensive-than-China location instead. Certainly tech anyway.

This maybe a reason why the US is negotiating TPP. It will allow companies to move operations to other countries to avoid the Chinese. If they want to steal IP, then you will have to build the mechanical infrastructure to make it for yourself.

And good on the UK for voting to decide their own fate in this world.

It's tough to put yourself in the shoes of another culture, but as an American it's very difficult to understand ceding such MASSIVE decisions about your people's future to a consortium of completely disparate nations.

I would argue that the US is like the EU, except we've been at it for 250 years. The NE is wholly different than Arizona which are both very different from Ohio. The NE states put in more money and get less from the gov't than the south and midwest. You can choose to live in any state in the US. The immigration policy is lax. Politicians pillage the trough for their own personal gain. Etc., etc., etc.

To me, this whole thing is like Texas getting fed up and seceding from the union. There has been a movement down there for years for succession which gets laughed at because it won't well for either party, but more so Texas than the US.

The first 100 years of US self rule was incredibly tumultuous and ultimately took a civil war and reconstruction to resolve. The EU has only been at it for 40 years. The youth is patient, but the older folks seemed to run out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
After 14 years 230k miles I had to break down and get a new car. Actually, I'm so adverse to change I wouldn't do it. So my wife went out and came home with a Subaru Outback...don't really feel comfortable in it. But it's OK.

Today my best friend says to me "how in the world did you buy a Subaru? You don't have a dog, you don't ski and you're not a lesbian"...

I said "yes I am".

Now I'm looking for another SUV.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
After 14 years 230k miles I had to break down and get a new car.

Now I'm looking for another SUV.

What was it?

My SUV is 14 years old too, but I "only" have 164k miles on it.

It's still going strong, and I'm just hoping it hold out until 2018-2019, when those used car prices should fall.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What was it?

My SUV is 14 years old too, but I "only" have 164k miles on it.

It's still going strong, and I'm just hoping it hold out until 2018-2019, when those used car prices should fall.
Chevy Trailblazer. It was actually still running fine but needed more work than it was worth. The front end was shot, the 4 wheel drive motor died and it needed new brakes and other minor things. At that point it didn't make sense to drop any money into the car that I didn't feel comfortable taking on any sort of extended road trip.

So I'm sort of vehicle-less right now. I'll just use my wife's car for day to day stuff but I have to figure something out by the fall. The real issue is there isn't a single vehicle I like...well, I sort of like the Toyota Land Cruiser but I would never pay that much for a stupid car...they list at 80k. That is freaking ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad