OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean, why not just call it as it is...

Islamist terror attack. Simple really.

This post is an example of why talking about religion usually isn't and shouldn't be part of the TAN.

We've never labeled anything a Christian terrorist attack or a Jewish terrorist attack before based on the religion of the person or group doing the attack. Terrorism is terrorism period, and hate crimes certainly aren't limited to one religion.

I understand people might want to have a discussion about such a heinous act on US soil, but there is also a seperate politics board...before this gets too heated let's keep politics and religious debates out of here going forward. This is your only warning.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
We've never labeled anything a Christian terrorist attack or a Jewish terrorist attack before based on the religion of the person or group doing the attack.

Not a political comment, but just fact checking what you said, although it's very rare, when some extremist does attack an abortion clinic it's always overtly mentioned that the murderer's Christian beliefs were his motivation. It's stated literally every time (as it should be of course).

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Microsoft to buy LinkedIn for $26b

At about a 50% premium!

Add me to the list that "doesn't really get this" as well. Though MSFT has TONS of cash, so maybe they view this as an investment of sorts. LinkedIn is used by every HR professional under the sun, though, and perhaps I'm wrong, my perception is that average people tend to only use LinkedIn either occasionally, or when they're actively looking for a job. I know that's my use of the platform, it's certainly no FB that's for sure.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I spent 5 minutes reading social media today and almost threw up.

Internet indignation is the ultimate form of cowardice.

Spewing rhetoric from your couch without ever doing a single thing about it... just shut up already.

Thank you...that is all.

Last edited:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
At about a 50% premium!

Add me to the list that "doesn't really get this" as well. Though MSFT has TONS of cash, so maybe they view this as an investment of sorts. LinkedIn is used by every HR professional under the sun, though, and perhaps I'm wrong, my perception is that average people tend to only use LinkedIn either occasionally, or when they're actively looking for a job. I know that's my use of the platform, it's certainly no FB that's for sure.

It should have done a hostile takeover of Salesforce.com

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It should have done a hostile takeover of Salesforce.com

That was one of the largest holdings in my 401k fund. It's done really well over the last 3 or 4 years or so. Many of the valuations on these tech/cloud/internet companies scare the stuffing out me though.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
That was one of the largest holdings in my 401k fund. It's done really well over the last 3 or 4 years or so. Many of the valuations on these tech/cloud/internet companies scare the stuffing out me though.

I keep waiting for a pullback to pull the trigger, but it just doesn't.

Unicorn is a great term for those stocks. I don't think it gets more apt than that.

Gogo, Fitbit, Twitter, Yelp, etc.

I would love to see the books for Uber. With so many invested in the company, the pressure to go public has got to be overwhelming.

BTW I hope there are no hard feelings about our last exchange. If there are, I apologize for flipping out. :cheers:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
BTW I hope there are no hard feelings about our last exchange. If there are, I apologize for flipping out. :cheers:

Not in the least bit. Exchange of ideas/opinions, and respectful disagreement, is what makes America the rare and special place that it is.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Not in the least bit. Exchange of ideas/opinions, and respectful disagreement, is what makes America the rare and special place that it is.

Well said BG. and ITS ME YOU FLIPPED OUT ON tr83 :laugh: No big deal at all as BG said. In this country we have the option to have this discussion and that is what is hated about America. :cheers:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Well said BG. and ITS ME YOU FLIPPED OUT ON tr83 :laugh: No big deal at all as BG said. In this country we have the option to have this discussion and that is what is hated about America. :cheers:

I think because BG and I go back and forth all the time is why I apologized. I apologize to you:cheers:

Well said BG. You and I will stick to stocks :P

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I think because BG and I go back and forth all the time is why I apologized. I apologize to you:cheers:

Well said BG. You and I will stick to stocks :P

HaHaHa No Need. ;)

Stocks may be a more interesting convo then this election.:laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Agreement is no fun. It just shuts down the conversation...but say something slightly controversial or against conventional wisdom and boom, the magic happens.

The problems arise when people don't know how to have fun with it. Someone always gets junky and crosses the line...but even that has its benefits. It's a wonderful ********* meter and character revealer.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Agreement is no fun. It just shuts down the conversation...but say something slightly controversial or against conventional wisdom and boom, the magic happens.

Not in the era of the "safe space", IMO, when everyone is seemingly offended by everything (even when they're not really offended and merely pretend to be offended to garner attention). Freedom of speech is under attack in this nation like no time before in my life. My 2¢.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not in the era of the "safe space", IMO, when everyone is seemingly offended by everything (even when they're not really offended and merely pretend to be offended to garner attention). Freedom of speech is under attack in this nation like no time before in my life. My 2¢.

We've worked very hard to create a sheltered world that insulates us from the truth. Nobody wants to believe that they are insignificant.

This in large part is why I need to go wild places.

Society's strange contortion of right or wrong is completely irrelevant in the wilderness. You only need to see a bear kill a fawn once to realize much of what we do and think is utter nonsense with no bearing on life. The river flows no matter what we think, things die to give life and the cycle continues and nothing we say can change that.

It's a shame that we continue to move away from the natural world and keep creating layers of insulation from it...I would suggest concepts like "safe places" are an effect of this.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's a shame that we continue to move away from the natural world and keep creating layers of insulation from it..

I still want to leave New Jersey and buy a place on no fewer than 20 acres, I just haven't quite figured out where yet.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The emperor has no clothes Federal Reserve made yet another excuse to not raise interest rates today, this time blaming poor economic growth, a worsening labor market, and 1001 other things.

These people are SCARED to lift rates, terrified of what might happen if they do, and it's growing embarrassing apparent they have no clue. This will not end well......

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I still want to leave New Jersey and buy a place on no fewer than 20 acres, I just haven't quite figured out where yet.

I have a friend that just bought 35 acres and 2500 sqf home in Virginia for 300K. A couple of hours south of Harrisburg PA near Blacksburg.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I have a friend that just bought 35 acres and 2500 sqf home in Virginia for 300K. A couple of hours south of Harrisburg PA near Blacksburg.

Western Virginia is as pretty as it gets, from Shenandoah down to Mt. Rogers.

A region I'm fond of is the Driftless Area. Basically NE Iowa, SW Wisconsin, SE Minnesota. It's the part of the Upper Midwest that wasn't crushed flat by the glaciers. Very hilly and woodsy, and under-the-radar.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I have a friend that just bought 35 acres and 2500 sqf home in Virginia for 300K.

That's absurdly cheap. Or at least I think it is given my NJ perception. Hell, at those prices I'd buy 70 acres and put in a 300 yard range. Is there any work there?

Western Virginia is as pretty as it gets, from Shenandoah down to Mt. Rogers.

That whole drive on I-81 is gorgeous. Just not sure if there's much going on around there, but the nature is lovely.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
A region I'm fond of is the Driftless Area. Basically NE Iowa, SW Wisconsin, SE Minnesota. It's the part of the Upper Midwest that wasn't crushed flat by the glaciers. Very hilly and woodsy, and under-the-radar.

Wow, I'd never even heard of that. Basically looks like where the 4 states come together? I didnt even know there were parts of the midwest that were that mountainous, probably huge deer and fish too.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wow, I'd never even heard of that. Basically looks like where the 4 states come together? I didnt even know there were parts of the midwest that were that mountainous, probably huge deer and fish too.

Mountainous is a relative term, but people in Wisconsin raved about that area of the state. Unfortunately I never got there during my 1 year stay.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ

Mountainous is a relative term, but people in Wisconsin raved about that area of the state. Unfortunately I never got there during my 1 year stay.

Yea, more like big bluffs than mountains. This is Iowa, believe it or not:
wl-640xhl-480xq-95~SubImage02_597698.jpg

The Midwest is generally very flat or gently rolling hills, but the hills can get pretty steep around the rivers. This section of Iowa has the highest bluffs on the Mississippi. Pike's Peak in Iowa and Wyalusing in Wisconsin are awesome parks.

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA

Is it in Montgomery County? I lived in Elliston and Ironto for many years. Beautiful country out there. If it's near Blacksburg, it's more like 5 hours south of Harrisburg. I have driven that stretch of 81 from Roanoke to Scranton so many times over the last 25+ years that I could probably do it half-asleep. PA is guaranteed to have construction that will add time to the trip LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca