OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Walleye is by far my favorite fish. But I like mild fish. Fluke and sea bass is good as well. But it's no walleye.

Have you had crappie? I only had walleye twice in Minnesota two days apart. It was deep fried so it really could've been anything.

Crappie and catfish are pretty good.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Can't stand super heavy battered fish - hides the real flavor. Pan fried small mouth is nicely fishy compared to lake large mouth. They have to swim harder to work for their food.

That said, PF Chang's oolong tea sea bass is one of the best fish dishes I've ever had. It is worth the price tag.

PF-CHANGS-OOLONG-CHILEAN-SEA-BASS-sm.jpg

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I LOVE going striper fishing. I guess I like the convenience of going just offshore or fishing from shore, the thrill of the fight, and the days of figuring out how to give away and eat 20 pounds of meat.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I LOVE going striper fishing. I guess I like the convenience of going just offshore or fishing from shore, the thrill of the fight, and the days of figuring out how to give away and eat 20 pounds of meat.

Nice! I didn't expect it.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Have you had crappie? I only had walleye twice in Minnesota two days apart. It was deep fried so it really could've been anything.

Crappie and catfish are pretty good.

Not a fan of catfish myself. Crappie is good though.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Nice! I didn't expect it.

I've thought about stream fishing. There are days where I just want to find a river where the water is just loud enough to soothe every nerve in my body.

Something like this

446699-bigthumbnail.jpg

Do those rivers exist anywhere in NJ?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I've thought about stream fishing. There are days where I just want to find a river where the water is just loud enough to soothe every nerve in my body.

Something like this

446699-bigthumbnail.jpg

Do those rivers exist anywhere in NJ?
Yes, there are many beautiful streams in NJ.

Do a Google image search for Ken Lockwood Gorge, Musconetcong , Big Flat Brook, Pequest river....and there are so many more hidden gems.

There is a neat little paperback by Matt Grobert called Fly fishing New Jersey Streams. He outlines all the best rivers in the state. Without even buy the book, go to Amazon and look at his table of contents and you'll see all the rivers he covers.

But even beyond fishing these places are incredibly soothing to just walk, sit and watch. When my mother was dying I spent a lot of time in the Ken Lockwood Gorge just listening to the water. It was very helpful.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There is really nothing better than standing in the middle of a stream away from all other people with only the sounds of nature in the background. There is no other place where I am at total peace with things and generally completely content. Catching fish is just a bonus at that point.

As Jim mentioned, you have plenty of streams in NJ like this, and you can find several in PA too.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I learned that the type of ball you use can make a world of difference.

Yeah, just ask Tiger Woods.

I seriously don't fish or crab because I don't like the idea of killing them. I seriously have a hard time killing them or cooking a lobster that's alive. Now I eat all of that stuff, so it's not like I have a moral dilemma with it. I just would rather someone else catch the stuff and cook it if it's still alive.

I've known a bunch of people who express the above. I dont get it. Same with hunting, people claim they hate hunting etc..., but have no problem picking up a ribeye at the grocery store. I'm like, what? :huh:

As Jim mentioned, you have plenty of streams in NJ like this, and you can find several in PA too.

Plenty of beautiful streams, but not like KLG. KLG is truly unusual for New Jersey, more reminiscent of upstate New York or some of the gorges I'd fish when I lived in Vermont. It's really an oddity (in a good way).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The only place in New Jersey that I've seen that can rival Ken Lockwood Gorge is Van Campens Brook.

It is a stunning place with a series of waterfalls and hiking trails.
http://www.njhiking.com/millbrook-village-van-campens-glen/

When I have shown this picture to friends out west they think it is somewhere in the Pacific Northwest...And I just say "nope, Northwest New Jersey" :)

11100677_621432247956761_7603591892667078571_o_zpskj2c7imv.jpg

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
That's beautiful dude. Any good fishing around there?

On another note, should have the first episode of my podcast up this weekend.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I just saw a guy next to me nearly wipe out a woman on a motorized wheelchair as she crossed the intersection as our light turned green and he turned left stopping only inches from her.

I suspect the Pokemon Go app was in hand. There's no way he didn't see her if he's paying attention and he was alone in the car. Late 20-something. She about bailed backwards out of the chair with the OH **** eyes.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I just saw a guy next to me nearly wipe out a woman on a motorized wheelchair as she crossed the intersection as our light turned green and he turned left stopping only inches from her.

I suspect the Pokemon Go app was in hand. There's no way he didn't see her if he's paying attention and he was alone in the car. Late 20-something. She about bailed backwards out of the chair with the OH **** eyes.

Are people really going to die because of this moronic thing? I mean, is there any way to prevent the dopey things they're hunting from being put in the middle of an interstate highway or the edge of the Grand Canyon?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Are people really going to die because of this moronic thing? I mean, is there any way to prevent the dopey things they're hunting from being put in the middle of an interstate highway or the edge of the Grand Canyon?

I wonder if this is a hacker's goal? "Let's see if I can give out a Darwin award."

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This weather is ridiculous. I came home from work and sat out site for 15 minutes to smoke a cigar and have a cocktail and my phone is all fogged up and I'm dripping sweat.

Gonna have to listen to Pink Floyd in the house.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Holy **** I just got off the phone with my sister in law who lives in Nice. There was some sort of attack there a little while ago. And they weren't to far from the scene. She ssaid they could hear gun fire.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yep horrific attack occurred at Bastille day celebration

Large truck rammed into crowd and ran over a lot of people

30 dead , 100+ injured official count so far

60 dead is floating around as a figure as well but unconfirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events