OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Chevy Trailblazer. It was actually still running fine but needed more work than it was worth.

Great vehicle! I have the same SUV. Well, I have the Envoy, which is the same vehicle just with upgraded trim/fixings. The gf had a Trailblazer that recently died at 165k on it. My Envoy as I mentioned has roughly that on it now and it running well. Those Vortek engines are great. It actually ran fine, but had a transmission leak that she didnt want to fix. Ironically, she too got a Suburu (Crosstrek).

I sort of like the Toyota Land Cruiser but I would never pay that much for a stupid car...they list at 80k. That is freaking ridiculous.

The price of new SUVs is currently insane! It's a double whammy of government interference that led to short-term limited production, in concert with low gas prices creating short-term skyrocketing demand. I saw the cost of a new 4x4 Chevy Tahoe a few months back at north of $60k, and I literally LOL.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This month's installment of "Bad Economic News With BG" focuses on employment levels, as recently released BLS data shows a new record high for "Not In Labor Force".

That's 16 MILLION fewer people since 2010! (below, courtesy of the FED).

Not_In_Labor_Force.gif

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
This month's installment of "Bad Economic News With BG" focuses on employment levels, as recently released BLS data shows a new record high for "Not In Labor Force".

That's 16 MILLION fewer people since 2010! (below, courtesy of the FED).

Not_In_Labor_Force.gif

I see this stat all the time. How do they count these people not in the labor force? When women were mostly homemakers, would they be counted in this? How are retirees that didn't volunteer for retirement counted?

I agree that the the trade deals have been fantastic for manufacturers and large companies. Too many people were short sighted in the 90's to see that there was a price for cheaper prices. The middle class is reaping what our representatives sowed.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I see this stat all the time.

I think you're thinking of the Labor Force Participation Rate (LFPR), which is very similar, but expressed as a function of percent. It's currently at 62.6%, which is really bad.

Here's the FED data for that. You notice that in the 50's the LFPR is really low, even though the post-war economy wasn't bad? Well, that's largely attributable to the "homemaker" point you made in your prior post. But now that most women largely are in the workforce, for it to be this low is troubling. We're basically back to mid-1970s levels, even though that's a time when many American women didn't work. All things considered, this is the worst this metric has ever been.

FRED_LFPR.jpg

How do they count these people not in the labor force? When women were mostly homemakers, would they be counted in this? How are retirees that didn't volunteer for retirement counted?

Yes, it includes homemakers, retired people, and students, which are the three groups of least concern, since they're sizeable, and "not expected" to be working in the first place. The LFPR will almost certainly dip lower in about 10 years, because babyboomers will be retiring, but that's not the type of dip that's concerning.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I took this picture with my phone last night. No filter, no enhancement... I just cropped out a car...you can see the roof on the bottom left. The sky looked like it was on fire last night in NJ

IMG_20160703_205005_382-1_zpsd7ujgcoh.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh and if you have a chance, listen to Paul Harvey's piece "Our Lives, Our Fortunes, Our Sacret Honor" today...and Happy 4th :)

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
this Alton Sterling incident is just horrible. so senseless

I cant really tell what the heck happened from the account I read of it, you have a decent news link? (i.e. not CNN, where every shooting is unjust regardless of the facts) I read completely mixed things from "he was totally minding his own business and was shot for no reason" to "he had an illegal handgun on him and threatened someone with the gun" - the reporting so far seems sloppy or unsure at best.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I cant really tell what the heck happened from the account I read of it, you have a decent news link? (i.e. not CNN, where every shooting is unjust regardless of the facts) I read completely mixed things from "he was totally minding his own business and was shot for no reason" to "he had an illegal handgun on him and threatened someone with the gun" - the reporting so far seems sloppy or unsure at best.

Watch the video of the shooting

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Is a video biased based on where it's hosted?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/06/us/baton-rouge-shooting-alton-sterling/index.html

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Watch the video of the shooting

Is a video biased based on where it's hosted?

It's still inconclusive to me after watching the video (which, to their credit, I saw NBC pointed out tonight) - as much of the "action area" is covered by the vehicle.

That said, IMO, it's very likely an unwarranted shooting, but I speculate that what happened is that when cop #1 discovers the firearm and yells "HE'S GOT A GUN", while they're wrestling with the guy on the ground, cop #2 mistakenly thinks/believes and takes that statement to mean that the guy is about to use said gun on them and their lives are at risk.

I THINK that's the most logical way to view what most likely happened, but we'll have to wait for the facts to play out. At any rate, I certainly doubt the cops specifically went to the local convenience store to execute the guy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's a politics board for those discussions, they're not permitted in the TAN or anywhere else here.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I'm thinking of starting a Devils podcast (Weekly) and need a name. I currently have 'Swarm it Up - A Devils podcast", but that's kinda boring.

Thoughts?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm writing my mid-year self evaluation sipping bourbon. Probably not the best idea.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
What the hell is going on in Dallas?
This country is literally disgusting at times. Why us? Why out of all of the world powers why do we carelessly slaughter each other? Who cares about terrorism when we do a better job at killing each other.

We need communities, we need to build relationships between law enforcement and inner cities. We need to LOVE EACH OTHER. When will this end!?

These are sad times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad