OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I really just wanted to talk about society.

I think our elected officials are nothing more than extension of us.

So when you see the most ridiculous displays of humanity rise and become our leaders, it is important to acknowledge we are simply looking in a mirror.

You know, I personally think it stems from unwillingness to say things are wrong and unacceptable. At some point being judgmental and intolerant of certain behaviors and thoughts has become impermissible.

So we can no longer call the dregs of society exactly what they are, we cannot judge crude behavior and we can not have a social standard...because if we do, we are somehow backward thinking and intolerant dolts. And this is what we get when we refuse to call a spade a spade.

We need more shame not less.

BINGO!!!!!!!! Thank you for this. I'll expand it further.

As the saying goes, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.â€

Look at what's on TV today. Look at what's acceptable video gaming. Half the shows on cable TV involve people being gluttonous, uncivil toward each other, or worse, extremely violent.

Personally, I can't take it. As cheesy as it is, I enjoy watching Jeopardy (for intellectual stimulation), Full House (for family fun), and Star Trek (for in depth examination of the human condition). I like playing Dr. Mario on my Wii.

I think enough exposure to this culture has dulled most peoples' sensibilities. People are not shocked anymore. However, there is a thirst to continue to be shocked, so the limits are pushed again. Furthermore, I don't blame people for wanting to avoid confrontation. Some people are crazy. The internet is the perfect medium to avoid physical intervention in relative safety.

When will society have a second renaissance in which people can debate the finer points of public policy instead of exhuming scandalous gossip? When will charity means more than just throwing money at a problem? When will each of us do some deep introspection to improve upon one's flaws and try to correct them instead of doubling down on them?

Yes, the world is getting smaller and technology is changing society at warp speed. We all feel threatened. Perhaps this is the root of national and global anxiety being played out now.

Our parents and grandparents courageously tackled some grand problems of their era: Suffered through a depression and changed national economic policy, fought a world war, created a social safety net, pushed science by harnessing the power of the atom creating all kinds of new materials and going to the moon. Sure some went kicking a screaming but enough had the courage to do this. In the end it brought the country closer together. These were problems whose solutions we all now benefit from.

We, on the other hand, are only tackling very few issues. The country is a lot more brown and the workplace more feminine than it was 40 years ago. The advent of social media has many of the -isms of society being addressed at the moment: Sexism, racism, etc. Many are not happy about it since it now is shoved directly in their face and can't be ignored.

Could you imagine if Obama went on national TV tomorrow to announce that humans will be on Mars in 10 years? Could you imagine if states passed a $2T in bills to fix the nation's aging water infrastructure? Or Congress passed a civilian GI Bill in which 18 year olds would be forced to serve in a disaster relief corps or Americorps in exchange for free college if they choose? These are things we could all benefit from. They would be laughed out of the room. "We're broke" or some other slogan would be used to kick the can down the road because we might have to change our selfish and indulgent behavior that permeates our society.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh god, please pick a better president. He's the guy that enabled the depression.

How about a very underrated James Polk or Teddy Roosevelt

I was always fascinated with Grover Cleveland, due to having two different presidency's. I don't remember much of what his policies were. But when I was in Kindergarten/1st grade, I really liked learning about different presidents. I didn't really get too involved on their policies, just all the presidents and what order they came in. I remember thinking how weird it was when I saw Grover Cleveland, then Benjamin Harrison, then Grover Cleveland again.

I also remember being freaked out by portraits of Franklin Pierce, he was scary looking to me when I was young. I don't know why.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Oh god, please pick a better president. He's the guy that enabled the depression.

How about a very underrated James Polk or Teddy Roosevelt
I don't want to get into an argument and risk the wrath of the mods but that first part is completely untrue. The government reaction to the stock market crash lead to the depression. In 1987 the stock market had a one day crash equal in % to the one in 1929. The Reagan administration did nothing and the economy recovered with no depression.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
BINGO!!!!!!!! Thank you for this. I'll expand it further.

As the saying goes, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.â€

I marvel at the fact that this board contains posts of such overwhelming profundity and brilliance, yet arguing over the relative merits of a fourth-liner can devolve into silliness.

Well said, both of you. I agree wholeheartedly - and I am trying to make sense of it all, as I am forced to explain it to my 10 and 11 year olds - who are having a tough time grasping what they are hearing about this election.

It isn't hopeless, although the voter disenfranchisement in the DNC, the blatant populism in the GOP race, and the fact that campaign finance reform has slipped off of the table of discussion makes it so we might never see a third party candidate that could deftly take the middle road on policy issues and really give the country the leadership it deserves.

It's tough to watch, as I think it has gotten progressively worse since the 1980s.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Look at what's on TV today. Look at what's acceptable video gaming. Half the shows on cable TV involve people being gluttonous, uncivil toward each other, or worse, extremely violent.

Honestly, I barely even watch TV anymore. Live sports, some cable news, WWII documentaries, and a few silly shows like American Pickers is about all I watch. I feel like everything else is created for the dumbest 10% of High School graduating classes.

Could you imagine if Obama went on national TV tomorrow to announce that humans will be on Mars in 10 years? Could you imagine if states passed a $2T in bills to fix the nation's aging water infrastructure? Or Congress passed a civilian GI Bill in which 18 year olds would be forced to serve in a disaster relief corps or Americorps in exchange for free college if they choose? These are things we could all benefit from.

I fail to see how "everyone" benefits from spending billions of dollars to send people on a 1-way trip to Mars, especially in a nation that's almost 20 Trillion (not a typo, see below) in the hole. And "forcing" people to do things is not my idea of freedom, IMO, we need less "forcing", not more.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I don't want to get into an argument and risk the wrath of the mods but that first part is completely untrue. The government reaction to the stock market crash lead to the depression. In 1987 the stock market had a one day crash equal in % to the one in 1929. The Reagan administration did nothing and the economy recovered with no depression.

The stock market crash had a terrible effect, but the government did make it even worse.

Generally now accepted by economists without an axe to grind. It wasn't FDR who lifted America out of the Great Depression (axe), it was WWII. All you have to do is take a look at the unemployment rate from the 1920s through the 1940s and it perfectly correlates to US involvement in the war effort.

US_Unemployment_1890-2009.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Honestly, I barely even watch TV anymore. Live sports, some cable news, WWII documentaries, and a few silly shows like American Pickers is about all I watch. I feel like everything else is created for the dumbest 10% of High School graduating classes.

I fail to see how "everyone" benefits from spending billions of dollars to send people on a 1-way trip to Mars, especially in a nation that's almost 20 Trillion (not a typo, see below) in the hole. And "forcing" people to do things is not my idea of freedom, IMO, we need less "forcing", not more.

The stock market crash had a terrible effect, but the government did make it even worse.

Generally now accepted by economists without an axe to grind. It wasn't FDR who lifted America out of the Great Depression (axe), it was WWII. All you have to do is take a look at the unemployment rate from the 1920s through the 1940s and it perfectly correlates to US involvement in the war effort.

1)I agree TV has a ton of dumb, but it also has some very good shows. AMC and HBO produce some excellent work.

2A)Agree on FDR, in that his measure's didn't lead the country out of the depression, but I think those measures did keep it afloat.

B)It was the war, which of coarse was also a gov't funded measure. It was not like the private sector was the driving force.

3)Mars? Yeah I dunno, I mean I do highly support the idea of advancing science, but something that ambitious, but with the potential returns being so far out on the timeline? While the dept is at $20 trillion? Might let the Tesla guy deal with that one.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Anyone ever deal with a Washington Hawthorn needle *****?

Been dealing with them for years and got another last night. I get major swelling and if near one, significant joint pain and stiffness which last's MONTHS.

Got these tree's in return for a donation to the Arbor Day Society. Not sure what those guys are thinking, these tree's are straight dangerous. Hoping to finishing taking down and burning the last one this winter.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

I was just throwing out examples of radical ideas.

America benefited greatly from the space program in the 60's. Most of the satellite technology we rely on for communication and advanced materials were born from it. God forbid should something catastrophic happen to Earth, at least the humanity can survive.

With how insular many people are in this country, a disaster relief corps could expose 18 year olds to what other people face in their lives. To see what devastation looks like. A way for people to empathize with each other which is what is lacking in our public discourse today.

The debt clock is where it is because either A) We're spending too much on the military, SS, and Medicare, which makes up more than 70% of the budget. or B) Not collecting enough revenue.

Stock market speculation and overproduction were the reasons that sparked the Depression. I do agree that the government under Hoover made the situation worse. Perhaps it was the first major crisis the Fed had to deal with and failed miserably. I don't agree fully with the notion FDR didn't get us out of the depression. Things were picking up in 1936 until they decided that it was time to balance the budget. That resulted in the government pulling back on what they were spending. Subsequently, the market came crashing down again. WWII did get us out of it by forcing the government to spends gobs of money. A smaller version of this idea can be applied to WWI as well which is part of the reason for the Roaring 20's. Wilson, Harding, and Coolidge benefited from this.

Oh, and Fiddler sucks Wood sucks and who else is on the 4th line tonight. What's Eric Boulton up to :P

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Honestly, I barely even watch TV anymore. Live sports, some cable news, WWII documentaries, and a few silly shows like American Pickers is about all I watch.

Sounds like we basically watch the same stuff

After sports and cable news there are a few channels I watch - History Channel, Discovery Channel, NatGeo, WFN (World Fishing Network), The Outdoor Channel and occasional the Food Network. I used to watch the Food Network a lot more often but it's become a weird contest/reality channel these days.

My one guilty pleasure TV show is Naked and Afraid. I love the butts and the pixelation. Sorry its the truth.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
You and me both, brother

I like whiskey. A lot.
>>>Bourbon!!!! but not opposed to the whiskey. Usually use the whiskey for the Wife's Hot totties!

My stash is growing weekly, if I don't drink it first.
In no order:
Makers
Woodford
Larceny
Willet Pot Still
Evan Williams
Benchmark
BUffalo Trace

All for different tastes! Been hitting the Larceny a lot lately. And with it being about $25-$29 its hard to beat.

Looking to plan a trip back to Lexington or Louisville soon. If Lexington, its gotta be Either October or April-(Keenland Race track is up and running then) Really cool city too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think bleeps/edits and pixelation are hilarious. I would like to see a news show, preferable done in English but with a heavy Eastern European accent, that just bleeps random words, for no reason blurs out peoples body parts and randomly throws up black bars to shield the viewer from nothing.

You know when I was in high school I used to listen to Howard Stern on the way to school every morning and I thought he was hilarious. The way he had to skirt the censors is what made the show in my opinion...Just recently I listened to him on satellite radio and it was it wasn't funny at all...I think it was because the show was completely uncensored...That seems to have removed a level of thought to the comedy...There isn't anything fumy about pure vulgarity but a well crafted thought that implies vulgarity is absolutely hilarious. I think we all love innuendo don't we?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
>>>Bourbon!!!! but not opposed to the whiskey. Usually use the whiskey for the Wife's Hot totties!

My stash is growing weekly, if I don't drink it first.
In no order:
Makers
Woodford
Larceny
Willet Pot Still
Evan Williams
Benchmark
BUffalo Trace

All for different tastes! Been hitting the Larceny a lot lately. And with it being about $25-$29 its hard to beat.

Looking to plan a trip back to Lexington or Louisville soon. If Lexington, its gotta be Either October or April-(Keenland Race track is up and running then) Really cool city too.

You keep that much bourbon in your house at once?

Holy smokes, I'd be in trouble if I had that much brown alcohol in my house. People would call the ATF and the National Guard to come out and settle things down at my house.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Oh yeah. I like to try a variety and just keep getting more. Usually buy a staple, then a new one to try when I hit the liquor store.

Now it's troubling to find space, but you make space for that stuff. I think as I have gotten older, my tastes have shifted. Still like to down some beers, but sometimes would rather sit back with a tumbler. Its funny, I tend to drink whatever they are drinking on the show I'm watching.... Kind of odd, but I am usually like, "That looks good, I could go for one of them!"

Don’t have much whiskey though.
Have Seagrams 7 for a mixer than a tad left of a 1998 Glenrothes, and an 18YO Glenmorangie that I will break out on a special occasion. Wife has given me crap about drinking too much, but as you know there is a big difference to downing shots as to sitting back with a few ounces.

Once the kids are in bed, I need something to bring my blood pressure down!

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Saw this quote today. If you don't watch the news you are uninformed, if you watch the news you are misinformed. Kind of accurate. What is the better scenario?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm not even bothering to vote, I don't like trump or Clinton so why bother. And a wise man told me if I do vote for either of them then I can't complain when they win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad