OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Here's another question for the computer wonks we have on here.

So I get a letter in the mail today from Comcast, basically telling me that my modem is crap and that I should get a new one (no, really, that's pretty much basically what it said).

Cant say I've ever got anything like this before in the mail, so I'm wondering if it's partially sales scam/tactic or if they have a legit point.

My Motorola SB6121 is 4 years old, and has a maximum transmission speed rated at 195 Mbps and a Data Transfer Rate of 1 Gbps (specs below).

Is that crap and not up to 2017 quality?

https://www.cnet.com/products/motorola-surfboard-sb6121/specs/

They are probably just trying to make you buy their modem so they can charge you the like extra $15 or $10 amount for it. It is just a scam.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Any of the computer folks here know why sometimes my Firefox races to between 2M and 4M K and slows down? What could be causing that?

It gets so bad that sometimes I have to ctrl-alt-delete to open the task manager and kill it manually from the "Processes" tab.

This happens to me in Chrome sometimes too. Usually it's because there's some stupid video ad on a tab I have open and it's eating up memory. Some news sites are becoming damn near unreadable because of stuff like this.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
They are probably just trying to make you buy their modem so they can charge you the like extra $15 or $10 amount for it. It is just a scam.

I 100% absolutely did consider that, but figured I'd ask here anyway given the fact that in the computing world, 4 year old equipment sometimes can be akin to 14 year old equipment.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

So I get a letter in the mail today from Comcast, basically telling me that my modem is crap and that I should get a new one (no, really, that's pretty much basically what it said).

Cant say I've ever got anything like this before in the mail, so I'm wondering if it's partially sales scam/tactic or if they have a legit point.

My Motorola SB6121 is 4 years old, and has a maximum transmission speed rated at 195 Mbps and a Data Transfer Rate of 1 Gbps (specs below).

What speed are you paying Comcast for? That's the only thing that matters - if your modem can't handle that speed, then you're missing out. If it can, there's no need to upgrade, really.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What speed are you paying Comcast for? That's the only thing that matters - if your modem can't handle that speed, then you're missing out. If it can, there's no need to upgrade, really.

Interesting that you should ask that.

I dont know what I used to have, it seemed fast enough, but Comcast very recently gave me a free upgrade to their "Blast! Internet" which is supposedly faster, at 150 mbps I believe.

But after they upgraded me, I did one of those speed test things, and it didnt seem any faster to me, and it seems IMO that the speed has actually gotten worse, not better.

EDIT: Just did another test at speedtest.net

9.17 Download Mbps
12.28 Upload Mbps

I was getting something like 29 Mbps before the "upgrade" smh

Last edited:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Interesting that you should ask that.

I dont know what I used to have, it seemed fast enough, but Comcast very recently gave me a free upgrade to their "Blast! Internet" which is supposedly faster, at 150 mbps I believe.

But after they upgraded me, I did one of those speed test things, and it didnt seem any faster to me, and it seems IMO that the speed has actually gotten worse, not better.

EDIT: Just did another test at speedtest.net

9.17 Download Mbps
12.28 Upload Mbps

I was getting something like 29 Mbps before the "upgrade" smh

Well, your modem can handle those speeds (and more), but your ISP (Comcast) does have to the power to see if your modem is underperforming or has issues. I would call their tech support and see if they're even reaching you at 150mbps. If they are, it's the modem. If they aren't, no need to upgrade.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My chic just saw a whale and a bunch of dolphins off sandy hook. Must have been feeding cause it hung out for a while. Had a near breach as well.

Reactions: Bleedred

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
My new job is sending me to a conference in DC. I'm staying with a friend the first couple days, and looking forward to hitting up some DC breweries.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Is it your own modem or theirs? They did this to me for our modem and they mailed the new one. No changes in the bill or anything, just basically that they’re technology has changed and the modem was nearing it “end of life.”

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Is it your own modem or theirs?

It's my own modem.

Never rent a cable companies modem. Modems are crazy cheap, and if you "lease" a modem from a cable company you'll wind up paying for the full cost of the modem several times over.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
My chic just saw a whale and a bunch of dolphins off sandy hook. Must have been feeding cause it hung out for a while. Had a near breach as well.

Cool! Saw a humpback today too up off my street today on LBI, feeding on bunker, super close to the beach, awesome sight.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cool! Saw a humpback today too up off my street today on LBI, feeding on bunker, super close to the beach, awesome sight.
Thank you for confirming this! I've told a few people that I've seen a humpback on LBI, yet people who don't live there don't believe me. I always get ''Pics or it didn't happen!''. It's not like I've seen them frequently, but I never actually lived there, despite relatives living there.

Dolphins are usually fairly common there, but I think they aren't as common as the water cools down.

I've saw seals there when the water is really cold in the Winter.

Reactions: JK3

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
finished my ball hockey mask :nod:

dElJ8oL.jpg

D5jpgSt.jpg
e54Gmo2.jpg
52FPNKn.jpg

Hwjs9hH.jpg

Last edited:

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I can't imagine why you would need faster speeds than that on a home network. That's kinda like the Porsche salesman telling you "Look, you're car's top speed is only 120! Why don't we get you into something that can REALLY move?"

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
No complaints, chef life has me slimmed down and a bit sore but that's all, added another to the fam and he's an absolute nute, how's thing's with you?

Congrats on bringing another Devils fan into the world. Not much new here. Life's good. Life's good for our Birds too for a change. Say hello to the Mrs. for us.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Not a fan of this Corpus Christi weather we're having today: windy, warm, and humid. I hope we can get some actual fall weather before winter comes.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Does anyone have (or have experience with) the wireless Budweiser Red Light?

Even at $170, I'm thinking this is something I might need in my life*.

*NOTE: This post is not about hockey, it's about a goal light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad