OT: The Thread About Nada Thing Part 202 (Not Much going on these days) Pfffffft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like working from home.

IMG_20170504_101239_zpsvp4ud7sr.jpg

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Flemington is having their annual business fire today. This time it's Tirpok Cleaners and I'm sure Central Liquors next door to them will go up. Just wish I had run in and salvaged the Blue Label :P

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Really excited I just scored a fantastic job with a great company. Life's finally looking up after going through hell for the last year or so. Have a great girlfriend and we went ring shopping the other day(she was concerned about the prices of the ring. :laugh:) Been a hell of a year for me but at this point I can't complain.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Flemington is having their annual business fire today. This time it's Tirpok Cleaners and I'm sure Central Liquors next door to them will go up.

Shew...... that was a little too close to Chick-Fil-A for my comfort.

Really excited I just scored a fantastic job with a great company. Life's finally looking up after going through hell for the last year or so. Have a great girlfriend and we went ring shopping the other day(she was concerned about the prices of the ring. :laugh:) Been a hell of a year for me but at this point I can't complain.

Congratulations!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, their chicken sandwich is amazing. Glad they finally came to the NY Metro area, now all we need is a Hardies.

http://hilahcooking.com/chick-fil-a-copycat/

You don't need to go there. This recipe so closely mimics chik-fil-a that we had to make a house rule that we would only make it once a month or else we would eat it every day. This recipe and a buttered and toasted Brioche bun; you'll think you were eating at chik-fil-a.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Congratulations

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Accepted a job offer in Manhattan that starts in a couple of weeks. Really excited.

Been 3 years working in Newark/across the street from the Rock and happy to not deal with NJ Transit this summer.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
http://hilahcooking.com/chick-fil-a-copycat/

You don't need to go there. This recipe so closely mimics chik-fil-a that we had to make a house rule that we would only make it once a month or else we would eat it every day. This recipe and a buttered and toasted Brioche bun; you'll think you were eating at chik-fil-a.

Wow. Bookmarked!

I did a knock-off White Castle recipe a few years ago that came out incredible. I even cut out the 5 little holes in the patty. The most important secret is something I never would have thought of, they actually cook the burgers ON a big bed of buttered minced onions, and it's the buttery onions that impregnates the meat which gives most of the flavor.

I never ate a Chik-fil-a but everyone tells me how good it is. I don't even know where one is?

Sadly (pathetically?), I can answer this question.

Flemington
Phillipsburg
Easton
Whitehall

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I never ate a Chik-fil-a but everyone tells me how good it is. I don't even know where one is?

They're mainly in malls around here.

The only freestanding one I know of in New Jersey is at the corner of Rt 1 and Rt 35 down in Woodbridge.

Chicken sandwich and chicken salad sandwiches are my go-tos.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Accepted a job offer in Manhattan that starts in a couple of weeks. Really excited.

Been 3 years working in Newark/across the street from the Rock and happy to not deal with NJ Transit this summer.
Congrats guys!

And as far as Chick Fil A goes, every time I find myself wanting to eat some it's usually on a Sunday when they're closed. :laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They're mainly in malls around here.

The only freestanding one I know of in New Jersey is at the corner of Rt 1 and Rt 35 down in Woodbridge.

Chicken sandwich and chicken salad sandwiches are my go-tos.

My longtime ex girlfriend from like a long time ago, used to love to go there when she would drag me to the mall. She loved to eat those waffle fries they have.

I haven't been to a Chick Fil A in like almost 4 years. That was a then girlfriends choice to eat at too.

It's good, I just don't go out of my way to eat it and don't really eat fast food that much anymore.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

Supposedly this summer is going to be a mess at NY Penn because of proposed work Amtrak wants to do. Good on you for getting to miss it!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wow. Bookmarked!

I did a knock-off White Castle recipe a few years ago that came out incredible. I even cut out the 5 little holes in the patty. The most important secret is something I never would have thought of, they actually cook the burgers ON a big bed of buttered minced onions, and it's the buttery onions that impregnates the meat which gives most of the flavor.

Sadly (pathetically?), I can answer this question.

Flemington
Phillipsburg
Easton
Whitehall

There is also one in Quakertown. There used to be one in the Lehigh Valley Mall, but I don't think that one is there anymore.

A couple tips concerning the recipe:

-The roll has to be Brioche and it has to be buttered and toasted.
-Marinate the chicken for at least one hour.
-Use peanut oil
-Those little electric home deep fryers don't maintain heat well enough. Use a pot on the stove with a digital thermometer instead. Bring the oil to around 400 degrees (be careful not to go too far over 400) and only do a couple pieces at a time. Using high temp oil means you should butterfly thick pieces so the outside doesn't burn before the inside cooks through.
*Optionally you can add a little MSG. I've tried it with about 1/8th teaspoon MSG mixed in with the breading mix. It does help accentuate the flavor, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. Also, it helps to make twice the called for breading mix (flour) and divide it between two containers. I use two, one gallon ziplock bags. Always go Flour -> Egg wash -> Flour.

Alternatively, for a slightly healthier experience, you can follow the same recipe. However, when you are making the flour breading mix, just nix the flour. Marinate the chicken the same way, then coat the pieces with the flourless spice mixture and grill them. It also works with legs and thighs, and I would assume wings.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Congrats guys!

And as far as Chick Fil A goes, every time I find myself wanting to eat some it's usually on a Sunday when they're closed. :laugh:

Same here. Every time I go drive home from Kohl's or whatever in Phillipsburg on a Sunday I always crave Chick Fil A, but can never get it. I settle for taco bell or Wawa instead. Maybe I'll go tomorrow when I go to my girl's house in that area lol

I am off to the Caribbean for the next week. Bleed, don't miss me. :naughty:

Nice have fun! Went on a cruise in January to the British & U.S. Virgin Islands and Bahamas, I'm jealous!

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Tasting time.

IMG_20170505_181727290_zpsxwsvnzvh.jpg

I bought a bottle of that once. Not for me. Way too strong to enjoy neat or with 1 ice cube which I sometimes do if it's too harsh for my taste.

On a unrelated note, went for drinks with a coworker who is a scotch enthusiast as much as I am a bourbon one. We bought each other our favorite and I must say - he opened my eyes to scotch where I thought it was simply overpriced for less flavor profile.

Belvanie 12 year Doublewood. I got him the Eagle Rare 10 year. We both were shocked how similar they were in flavor and smoothness.

Highly suggest you try it if you're a bourbon fan but wants a good scotch in the cabinet.

balvenie_12_doublewood.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I bought a bottle of that once. Not for me. Way too strong to enjoy neat or with 1 ice cube which I sometimes do if it's too harsh for my taste.

On a unrelated note, went for drinks with a coworker who is a scotch enthusiast as much as I am a bourbon one. We bought each other our favorite and I must say - he opened my eyes to scotch where I thought it was simply overpriced for less flavor profile.

Belvanie 12 year Doublewood. I got him the Eagle Rare 10 year. We both were shocked how similar they were in flavor and smoothness.

Highly suggest you try it if you're a bourbon fan but wants a good scotch in the cabinet.

balvenie_12_doublewood.jpg

You're absolutely right. It was strong. Not sure about too strong ;) had sort of a spicy caramel flavor. I wouldn't say it burned, it was actually kind of smooth but it left my mouth feeling hot. Wasn't crazy about it, I wouldn't buy a bottle but I might try it again.

Gonna have to try that Scotch.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Apparently there is a one-eyed horse in the Kentucky Derby this year. Kind of hope the horse wins. Would be a triumph for one-eyed horses everywhere. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad