OT: The Thread About Nada Thing Part 202 (Not Much going on these days) Pfffffft

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Storm tracking a bit further west. Slightly better news for the eastern side of Florida, terrible news for western coasts of Florida.

Places like Naples and Fort Myers will get wrecked, and Tampa is in for a rough go.

Not really.... Miami would be on the north eastern side of the eye wall. That's the most side with the strongest winds, more tornadoes. Less rain though

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
The science agenda isn't as biased as you would think.

Climate scientists are rightfully being very cagey on the question if these last two hurricanes were caused by climate change. At most they will just say "probably, but we need more studies". No one is saying definitively yes.

Also the question isn't whether hurricanes would exist without climate change. We know they would. The question is if a warmer planet, one warmed by the effects of man, are adding either frequency or intensity to storms.

If climate change causes Harvey to dump 5 more inches of rain, or Irma to have winds 10 MPh higher, we need to know.

Edit: Meanwhile the entire PNW is on fire.
No, these hurricanes were not caused by climate change. It's september, the natural peak of hurricane season. You have warm water, low or no sheer (wind in the upper atmosphere that can blow thunderstorms away from the center of the storm) and high humidity, all which is what leads to very powerful storms, ex, irma, Jose (and there will be storms behind jose). There is nothing abnormal about this. In fact this isn't the first time there has been 3 hurricanes in the Atlantic, let alone to majors (cat 3 or more), and it won't be the last.
Man is not influencing hurricanes at all, never have, never will. History shows that there have been storms just as strong (way before cars and emissions). In fact claims are that humans have only lead to a .02degree celcious raise in our climate, and that's disputed in many studies to be natural. Remember the poles used to not contain ice (before humans), it wouldn't be out of the relm of natural possibilities for Earth to go back to iceless. Climate change is NATURAL, not manmade.
I could go on but this is a hockey board.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No, these hurricanes were not caused by climate change. It's september, the natural peak of hurricane season. You have warm water, low or no sheer (wind in the upper atmosphere that can blow thunderstorms away from the center of the storm) and high humidity, all which is what leads to very powerful storms, ex, irma, Jose (and there will be storms behind jose). There is nothing abnormal about this. In fact this isn't the first time there has been 3 hurricanes in the Atlantic, let alone to majors (cat 3 or more), and it won't be the last.
Man is not influencing hurricanes at all, never have, never will. History shows that there have been storms just as strong (way before cars and emissions). In fact claims are that humans have only lead to a .02degree celcious raise in our climate, and that's disputed in many studies to be natural. Remember the poles used to not contain ice (before humans), it wouldn't be out of the relm of natural possibilities for Earth to go back to iceless. Climate change is NATURAL, not manmade.

The majority of this is completely bogus information, the rest is just completely missing the point.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

That is just asinine. Pull you're head out of the sand.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The majority of this is completely bogus information, the rest is just completely missing the point.

That is just asinine. Pull you're head out of the sand.

I think it's safe to say I follow meterology closer than anyone on this board, and I cannot find anything wrong with the non-opinion based portion of what he wrote, which was the bulk of it.

It's not the first time any of this has happened, etc.... it is near the peak of hurricane season, etc..... and the reason people think this is so "OMG....UNPRECEDENTED!!!!!!!!!!!!" is because that is what the media constantly tells you, but it's untrue.

And easily proven so.

In fact, even though we're hours before landfall, I'll predict Andrew in 1992 will be a worse storm than this one, even though at this point Irma is "stronger" than Andrew. It's a REALLY bad hurricane, but Cat 4 hurricanes in Florida are NOT rare. They're only "rare" from the standpoint of human perception given how short our lives are.

In fact, the only thing that actually appears to be a statistical anomaly? Is how FEW monster hurricanes there have been in the last 50 or 60 years, not how MANY there have been. We've generally been lucky (despite what the media tells you).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->