OT: The Thread About Nada Thing Part 202 (Not Much going on these days) Pfffffft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I listened to Propagandhi almost 25 years ago, REALLY dating myself here.

Like when How To Clean Everything came out back in 93 (24 years ago). I saw them before anyone other than Fat Mike knew who they were. I don't even think I knew any other bands on Fat Wreck at the time, it was probably still a really new label. I only knew at the time that Fat Mike from NOFX started it. That was a cool album. The year that record came out or some point shortly after it, I used to play music really loud when I was the only one home at my dad's house. The one song ''Haillie Selasse Up Your Ass'' or whatever it's called. The one where he says ''**** religion'' about 10 times at the end of the song. After a while, the neighbor complained that the music was too loud. He was an old man and he said he didn't mind the music, he just wanted me to lower it a little bit. He said to me ''I noticed one of the songs says **** religion over and over again, which I absolutely agree with'' and I laughed in his face when he said that because it was funny to hear. Dude was an old man. He probably was in his 50's or maybe 60, which is old when you're a teenager.

Other than that record, I got Less Talk More Rock a few years later and I thought it sucked. The only song I liked was the one where he says ''Jesus saves, Gretzky scores, one wrong move and we miss the cup, play the man not the puck'' or something, just cause I enjoyed the hockey references. I actually liked their early 00's record a lot more. It was a little more metal influenced, but I liked that more than the Poppy Punk stuff from LTMR. I really thought that was an AWFUL album. I liked their next few albums a lot more.

One annoying thing about that band to me, I saw them live and they preached about not dancing and would stop playing if they saw moshing. I couldn't believe they were hockey fans, but would not permit consensual dancing at their gigs. Fugazi was like that too, but I kinda understood it more with them.

Anti Flag is an absolutely awful band, but I understand people a little bit younger than me probably got into punk music by listening to them. They seem like okay people and some of their really early stuff is listenable music. The problem I have with them is signing to RCA Records, after years of preaching against capitalism. I stopped taking Bad Religion seriously when they were on Atlantic Records. I think signing to major labels is fine, but not when giving interviews about how there should be caps on the amount of money people should be allowed to make and that amount being something like $200K a year. I know they're not on the major label anymore, but that's because their major label albums FLOPPED and the label was losing money by keeping them on their roster because it wasn't selling anything. The only artists that barely sell anything that you see still on those labels are bands and singers that used to be relevant and made them a bunch of money at one time. Like the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Rod Stewart, etc. Those artists newer albums aren't selling millions of copies, but their old ones did and the big labels still put out their newer stuff.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Here's a pretty cool Propagandhi song from one of their later albums. Probably the mid 00's, but they used to seem to go 4 years between albums. So I guess maybe not one of their later albums. The solo that starts at 3:57 and the entire outro is pretty cool.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Saw them open for Vision and the Bouncing Souls at Tramps back in '97. I don't think kids go to punk shows in the Flatiron District any more.

#old

I saw Vision and the Bouncing Souls all time back in the day. Heard Dave from Vision passed away recently, pretty sad to hear.

They had a benefit for him in Asbury Park a month ago. A lot of cool bands played. I would have went if I still lived in the state. It was only like $25 bucks for like 10 or 12 hours of bands and some pretty good ones on the bill. Supertouch, Bold, Sheer Terror, Breakdown, Killing Time. I think Vision played a set with different guest singers like Mike Judge, Greg from the Bouncing Souls, Dave Smalley, etc. Pretty stacked bill for a $25 show and all the bands playing for free.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have a funny story about Anti-Flag. I know a guy that grew up on the same block with the singer and was friends with him. The guy was a roommate of a good friend of mine. He claimed he was really good friends growing up the singer and drummer, but he also seemed very ignorant of certain hardcore punk bands and their messages.

He once told us that Minor Threat was a racist band, with a hate message. As well as Youth Of Today. We told this guy those bands were quite the opposite. He heard Guilty Of Being White by Minor Threat and obviously took the lyrics the wrong way. He didn't argue it after we told him and admitted he was misinformed. He said he knew a lot of white power skins that listened to those bands growing up and thought they may have been white power skins too, as members of those bands had shaved heads. He also admitted he thought the Dead Kennedys were a racist band when he first heard them, due to their use of the N word in Holiday In Cambodia. Anyone who knows DK knows they were a very anti racist band and their songs were satirical and written in a point of view of whoever they were satirizing. Whether it was Ronald Reagan, Jerry Brown, record company executives and popular bands, (see: Pull My Strings), cops (Police Truck and their version of I Fought The Law). Their drummer through most of the bands existence was also a black guy.

Funny this guy grew up with a couple of guys that started a fairly successful punk band and was completely misinformed by the lyrics of other punk bands. He probably thought Drinking And Driving by Black Flag was a serious song about drinking and driving and killing people.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Funny this guy grew up with a couple of guys that started a fairly successful punk band and was completely misinformed by the lyrics of other punk bands. He probably thought Drinking And Driving by Black Flag was a serious song about drinking and driving and killing people.

I wonder what that guy thought of TV party:sarcasm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wonder what that guy thought of TV party:sarcasm:

TV Party was always one of my favorites by Black Flag. It was one of the first songs I heard by them and I remember laughing at all the names of the shows that were referenced in the song. Even though most of them were shows that I remembered being on during the very early part of my childhood.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
TV Party was always one of my favorites by Black Flag. It was one of the first songs I heard by them and I remember laughing at all the names of the shows that were referenced in the song. Even though most of them were shows that I remembered being on during the very early part of my childhood.

Mine would have to be Thirsty and Miserable. Because it's so me :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mine would have to be Thirsty and Miserable. Because it's so me :laugh:

I always feel thirsty also, but not so miserable haha.

This might be my favorite Black Flag song, but I don't care for this album at all. I don't think I like any entire album after Damaged. I like half the songs on some of the post-Damaged albums and maybe only a few songs on some of the others. It's not that I dislike all of their albums after Damaged, just don't care for the entirety of them. A lot of meh on them.

Luckily this is the first song on the album

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Anyone else get the Health IQ or some running ad on this site daily? I think I'm in love with the girl in those ads.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's funny you mentioned Prop's Iteration, I've really digging the Todd songs, mainly jamming this monster:

I prefer that to anything from Less Talk More Rock. I honestly haven't listened to much of that album, but I do like their stuff from the 00's more than Less Talk More Rock. That album was bland to me. It wasn't very heavy at all. How To Clean Everything was cool though. It sounded similar to NOFX back in the day, before they started to be pretty awful.
Anyone else get the Health IQ or some running ad on this site daily? I think I'm in love with the girl in those ads.

There was some really nice looking girl in one of those ads on here the other day. I forgot what the ad was for, I just remember the beautiful girl and that's it.

Right now I'm getting an Astroglide ad on here.:laugh:

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I prefer that to anything from Less Talk More Rock. I honestly haven't listened to much of that album, but I do like their stuff from the 00's more than Less Talk More Rock. That album was bland to me. It wasn't very heavy at all. How To Clean Everything was cool though. It sounded similar to NOFX back in the day, before they started to be pretty awful.

There was some really nice looking girl in one of those ads on here the other day. I forgot what the ad was for, I just remember the beautiful girl and that's it.

Right now I'm getting an Astroglide ad on here.:laugh:

I had a Fyre Festival add a while ago...

:laugh: Bigger disaster than this year's Devils:laugh:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
saw supersuckers last night….good night out for 15 dollar tickets

good times and beers …..3 and change hours of sleep before workday

…ya, i do **** like that still

they didnt go into theyre more country sound….just cranked out a heavy set for a tuesday night

as usual toronto crowd was a joke and bartender with a pos attitude

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
saw supersuckers last night….good night out for 15 dollar tickets

good times and beers …..3 and change hours of sleep before workday

…ya, i do **** like that still

they didnt go into theyre more country sound….just cranked out a heavy set for a tuesday night

as usual toronto crowd was a joke and bartender with a pos attitude

Toronto typical

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
My jobs (school) IT guy emailed all the staff warning of a phishing email that looks like a google doc. What the heck is going on?

Here's the rundown:

Someone nefarious created an add-on that, somehow, got approved that would allow nefarious actors to have complete control over someone's email and contacts. I say "somehow", because this add-on was named Google Docs. Somehow, Google didn't auto-flag something called Google Docs as a potentially suspicious add-on.

They sent emails saying "so-and-so has shared a document with you" that looked like a Google doc and asked for your credentials and to allow "Google Docs" access to your account. Very sneaky.

After this, it auto-emailed from the victims account to EVERYONE THEY EVER EMAILED FROM THAT ACCOUNT EVER.

Looking at my Gapps admin reports, for the 30ish minutes before we locked that app down, 3000ish people authorized it. It was rough.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Google didn't auto-flag something called Google Docs as a potentially suspicious add-on.

For a company that constantly self-praises itself as being the smartest thing ever, that sounds pretty dumb. The web security version of using 'Password' as your password.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
For a company that constantly self-praises itself as being the smartest thing ever, that sounds pretty dumb. The web security version of using 'Password' as your password.

Such a ridiculous post.

It's Password123!

To meet all the requirements!

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad