The Taylor Hall Thread II: Taylor Ham Edition

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Hall carries the puck way more than I remember Parise doing. Not sure if by puck possession you mean Corsi, but I could see Parise having him beat there. Parise was much dump and chase where he was terrific at winning battles and cycling the puck. By that logic, I could see him dominating Corsi a lot more whereas Hall is more using his speed and opening up the play.

Definitely less wear and tear for Hall's game though.

I don't think Hall is inferior to Parise as a 'Corsi' puck possessor. Those late 00s Devils teams had a lot of very good players on them and Parise basically always played with them. His top 5 linemates from 2007-2010 were Zajac, Langenbrunner, Elias, Gionta, and Zubrus. Hall's top 5 guys from the last 2+ years are Leon Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Purcell, Eberle, and Zajac.

But Parise was a better finisher and around the net guy without question.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I hope the unfortunate incident of Larsen getting hurt, doesn't put off Hall being physical and throwing more hits.

Since coming to NJ, I was a little surprised at Hall's physical game (in a good way) and I do want it to continue. Hall was very remorseful despite what most people widely acknowledged was a clean hit.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
So happy with Hall. What a talent and young!

Also, we should all be glad we didn't sign Parise to that monster contract.

He is a shell of the player now then when he was a Devil. That contract will be terrible soon if not already.

Dodged a bullet potentially with him and Kovy(with his back issues)

davieboynj

Dec 7, 2016
So happy with Hall. What a talent and young!

Also, we should all be glad we didn't sign Parise to that monster contract.

He is a shell of the player now then when he was a Devil. That contract will be terrible soon if not already.

Dodged a bullet potentially with him and Kovy(with his back issues)

100% agreed... 2012 was a great Cinderella run, but Parise's style of play was already showing him the path to decline. I wish we would have gotten a return for him, but our contract situation is pretty great right now, especially compared to the Wild.

edit - - found the article about Parise's decline: http://www.1500espn.com/wild-2/2016/10/zach-parise-still-elite-player/

Last edited:

davieboynj

Dec 7, 2016
I don't think Hall is inferior to Parise as a 'Corsi' puck possessor.

At his peak, EVERYONE was inferior to Parise in Relative Corsi. He was a one man offensive-zone wrecking crew. I'm glad we don't have him under contract now, but you can't take that 3-year stretch away from him.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
100% agreed... 2012 was a great Cinderella run, but Parise's style of play was already showing him the path to decline. I wish we would have gotten a return for him, but our contract situation is pretty great right now, especially compared to the Wild.

edit - - found the article about Parise's decline: http://www.1500espn.com/wild-2/2016/10/zach-parise-still-elite-player/

WOW!!! He's signed until 2025!? Are you kidding me?? That is BRUTAL! Looked so great to have the two of them "coming home" but that is terrible.

It really is amazing how things work out. Not taking anything away from Parise, but it's VERY clear we got the best of Zach as opposed to what the wild are getting now. So glad to not be in their situation. The Suter/Parise contracts will become anchors soon.

I have a suspicion that Shero will get another big time player to play with Hall, whether that is at Center or Right Wing and a top defenseman either trade deadline or next year's draft(either through draft, expansion draft, etc).

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
WOW!!! He's signed until 2025!? Are you kidding me?? That is BRUTAL! Looked so great to have the two of them "coming home" but that is terrible.

It really is amazing how things work out. Not taking anything away from Parise, but it's VERY clear we got the best of Zach as opposed to what the wild are getting now. So glad to not be in their situation. The Suter/Parise contracts will become anchors soon.

I have a suspicion that Shero will get another big time player to play with Hall, whether that is at Center or Right Wing and a top defenseman either trade dead line or next year's draft(either through draft, expansion draft, etc).

I have to imagine the Devils will be in on Shattenkirk. They're certainly in position to make him a very competitive offer. Obviously, the Rags are going to find a way to throw the kitchen sink at him as well. I don't watch the Blues very often. Is he worth the $7 million + per year that he is going to command in free agency?

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I have to imagine the Devils will be in on Shattenkirk. They're certainly in position to make him a very competitive offer. Obviously, the Rags are going to find a way to throw the kitchen sink at him as well. I don't watch the Blues very often. Is he worth the $7 million + per year that he is going to command in free agency?

I'd say prob $6.5 mil a year for 7 years would be fair, but we're gonna have to outbid the rangers/Bruins. How the Rangers even have $$$ for him with all of those big contacts(The "King" is on a decline and his contract is brutal going forward along with some of their other players)

As long as it doesn't hancuff the team, we should be fine. He's a great piece, especially on the PP, but I still think we'll need another defenseman as well as him because who knows how Greene will be in the next couple of years, along with Moore, etc.

davieboynj

Dec 7, 2016
WOW!!! He's signed until 2025!? Are you kidding me?? It really is amazing how things work out. Not taking anything away from Parise, but it's VERY clear we got the best of Zach as opposed to what the wild are getting now. So glad to not be in their situation. The Suter/Parise contracts will become anchors soon.

Yup... Most would argue that Zach is already an anchor. OTOH, Suter is a conditioning freak. It's like having two defensemen, how long he can keep that up is the question. Parise was definitely the "poison pill" in the dual contract.

I remember telling a friend at the time we lost Parise, that long-term I would rather keep Zajac than Parise. The next couple years I felt like i must have been wrong, but I'm starting to think I was on to something.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I'd say prob $6.5 mil a year for 7 years would be fair, but we're gonna have to outbid the rangers/Bruins. How the Rangers even have $$$ for him with all of those big contacts(The "King" is on a decline and his contract is brutal going forward along with some of their other players)

As long as it doesn't hancuff the team, we should be fine. He's a great piece, especially on the PP, but I still think we'll need another defenseman as well as him because who knows how Greene will be in the next couple of years, along with Moore, etc.

It's a pretty weak free agency class. Outside of Shattenkirk, there really isn't a big impact guy available on the blue line. That's why he is going to get overpaid big time. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he get 7/56 or something ridiculous like that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
we have so much cap flexibility that it will be OK to overpay if the right guy comes along (i.e. Shattenkirk)

now that Cammalleri is back to performing, I don't really know if we have a "bad" contract on the books right now. Plus, no one in the next few years will really need a big new contract. Severson needs one this summer but he will most likely get a bridge RFA deal

davieboynj

Dec 7, 2016
we have so much cap flexibility that it will be OK to overpay if the right guy comes along (i.e. Shattenkirk)

now that Cammalleri is back to performing, I don't really know if we have a "bad" contract on the books right now.

I'm gonna go with Ryane Clowe on that one. Hated that stupid knee-jerk signing.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

now that Cammalleri is back to performing, I don't really know if we have a "bad" contract on the books right now. Plus, no one in the next few years will really need a big new contract. Severson needs one this summer but he will most likely get a bridge RFA deal

Yeah Shero has the team well positioned to strike for whatever he feels the team needs. Only player who needs a contact soon as you said is Severson that I can think of.

We have the draft picks, we have plenty of $$$, kids drafted recently are doing well in the minors, CHL, overseas, just need to upgrade some on offense and especially on defense and we'll be fine.

Bright future ahead.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

i agree with this. i still see the rangers making necessary cap sacrifices to get that big free agent signing. pretty much that franchise's MO, is it not?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
i agree with this. i still see the rangers making necessary cap sacrifices to get that big free agent signing. pretty much that franchise's MO, is it not?

I just don't see how they are going to realistically afford him without sending another contract out. Remember, Zbenejad needs a new contract this summer too

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Devils pay him, but his contract doesn't count towards the cap because they have him on LTIR.

technically I think it does currently count, but we would also be able to exceed the cap by whatever his (and Marc Savard's) cap hits are

regardless, it won't affect us salary cap wise so it doesnt matter

davieboynj

Dec 7, 2016
technically I think it does currently count, but we would also be able to exceed the cap by whatever his (and Marc Savard's) cap hits are

regardless, it won't affect us salary cap wise so it doesnt matter

So it basically can only help us get to the floor, but doesn't hurt us at cap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad