The Taylor Hall Thread II: Taylor Ham Edition

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we make the playoffs I think Hynes and Hall with both get consideration for the Jack Adams and the Hart for sure.
I think Hynes is a lock for the Jack Adams if we make the playoffs, UNLESS Vegas is also in the playoffs. Hynes would probably lose out to Gallant, as I think they were the only team who is also in a playoff spot right now, that had less of a chance to get in the playoffs than we did.

It's certainly not McDavid's fault that the Oilers are where they are, he's on pace for another 100 point season, but I think it would be cheap to give him the Hart if they miss the playoffs. It would be like if they gave Cory the Vezina over Holtby in 2016. And Cory was better than Holtby that year, outside of the win category. It's the same reason that Luongo didn't win the Vezina over Marty in 2004. He performed better than any goalie in the league that year, but his win-loss record wasn't good, due to how incredibly awful that team was that year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not sure why you mentioned McDavid in Hart contention.

Stamkos is easily the Hart favorite right now with Kucharov right behind. They might spilt the votes since they both play for Tampa, but in that case Johnny Hockey would win it as of right now.

Hall still deserves consideration though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not sure why you mentioned McDavid in Hart contention.

Stamkos is easily the Hart favorite right now with Kucharov right behind. They might spilt the votes since they both play for Tampa, but in that case Johnny Hockey would win it as of right now.

Hall still deserves consideration though.
I think McDavid will be in Hart contention if he scores 100 points, which he's on pace for right now, but I don't think he's gonna win it with the state of the team. The only reason that he'd be in contention is because nobody really scores 100 points anymore. Crosby hasn't done it since 13-14 and 09-10 was the last time he did it before that, he was injured for huge portions of the season's in between that and there was also the lockout season in between. I'd have to go back and look at previous Hart winners and see the last one to win it when their team missed the playoffs. I think Bobrovsky in 2013 was the only time a goalie won a Vezina on a non-playoff team. I'd say it was a long time ago that a Hart winner's team missed the playoffs in the year they won it.

I'm looking at the top 10 in points right now, Hall is in a 4 way tie for 10th. I'm gonna say that it's the 3 you mentioned, who would definitely be leading right now. Some of the other guys in the top 10 right now, are guys that I just either don't see winning it, or just not finishing in the top 5-10 in points when the year ends. I don't think Jaden Schwartz will be a serious contender by year's end. We know how the league feels about Kessel, I don't think he's gonna be a serious contender for it. I don't think Brayden Schenn is gonna score as much as he's on pace for right now. McDavid's team sucks, Voracek's team isn't looking good right now. Tavares is a contender for it, Josh Bailey is not. I think Tarasenko certainly could be, much more than his two teammates who have currently outscored him. Those are the only guys who have outscored Hall this season. There's really no goalie's who are a Hart contender, unless Bobrovsky sustains a .936 for an entire season. If he's got those numbers after 65-70 games, maybe he finishes top 3 in votes.

Just looking back on it, no way McDavid gets it. Maybe a top 3 vote with 100 points again, but I can't find the last time a Hart winner's team missed the playoffs the year they won the Hart.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
thats a good article, but it was just published and theres a line about 'if Hall plays all 82 games this season,' like Campbell doesnt know Hall has already missed games

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I've gotten into it with another hard-headed Oilers fan who is convinced that Hall isn't your key player. So, rather than continue to hash it out, I'd like to hear it directly from Jersey fans - how would you rate Hall's play since you've gotten him? How important is he to the team?

Happy for Hall seeing some success this year, and hope he finally sees the post-season later this year!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've gotten into it with another hard-headed Oilers fan who is convinced that Hall isn't your key player. So, rather than continue to hash it out, I'd like to hear it directly from Jersey fans - how would you rate Hall's play since you've gotten him? How important is he to the team?

Happy for Hall seeing some success this year, and hope he finally sees the post-season later this year!

He is our Hart candidate. We have lots of new young talent, and they are extremely key parts to the team. Hall though is playing on another level. He wants to win and will singehandedly put the team on his back some nights.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
He is our Hart candidate. We have lots of new young talent, and they are extremely key parts to the team. Hall though is playing on another level. He wants to win and will singehandedly put the team on his back some nights.
Fans around the league will soon take notice. I already see fans of the teams we face talk about how dominant Hall looks on the ice when we play them. The point totals don't do his play justice.

Reactions: Bleedred and Aerrol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The hard-headed Oilers fans that are convinced that Hall isn't our key player are either bitter or just clueless. The amount of flip-flopping on that trade is just a spectacle. Oilers fans were having a meltdown when the trade was first announced. Then the Oilers make the playoffs and we have an awful season, and that becomes the barometer in winning the trade. Now the Oilers are having a bad season, many Oilers have come back to a 360 full circle. I think in the long term, the Oilers will be alright. I just don't think that Chiarelli is the guy that I'd want manning the ship there and I've long since been a questioner of Todd McLellan, as the Sharks are my second favorite team and I'm pompously and very arrogantly (at least I admit it) enjoying my very long victory lap over the people who claimed that McLellan actually added value to the Sharks and made them better than they could have been without him during those years.

Enough about that, I don't mean to trash your team, just can't stand the arrogance that some Oilers fans displayed about this trade, based on what team did better in the standings last season. Hall has been a beast. He had sort of a down year last year, as did quite a few players on the team. Even in his down year he was still the best forward/player on the team. He looks like a real gamebreaker out there on most nights. He's the team MVP and I'm actually kind of flabbergasted that he's not in the top 10 or even top 20 (maybe he is in the top 20?) in points in the entire league, as he seems like he's scored even more points than he apparently has. I know he missed a few games.

Reactions: Aerrol

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He's our best player, no doubt. I think Nico has been the perfect addition to really allow him to take his game to the next level too.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it's so nice looking at other teams' boards. they all have threads about players on their team with like, 15 parts, all full of arguments about how the player is being misused, theyre under performing, etc...kind of like our kovy threads from back in the day. and here's our taylor hall thread (only on part 2) which I can assume is full of positive things, only getting bumped because he's being awesome on twitter. things are good

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
taylor hall next captain of the new jersey devils

agreed. and not even ‘to convince him to stay’ because I’m not worried about that at all. he’s our all-around best player, and seems to have the character, temperament and drive befitting of a captain.

I’d also be open to never having a captain again and going with 3 A’s until the sun burns out. most of that stuff is just for optics anyway- but if that’s important to the devils, make hall our captain the day after greene’s contract expires (I don’t mean that as a slight to greene- he’s fine in that role, the guys clearly look up to him)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->