The Tank Thread - 2022-23 edition (Lottery Drawing 05/08/23 7PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If we f*** this up and win. Everyone should be fired, one game can bring in biggest C prospect in our history or bring some midrange whatever first rounder like every fking year

To be fair Michkov would be the most talented prospect they’ve ever drafted so he’s not in your basic 1st rounder range.

But the point stands, it would set the rebuild back& I’d bet they’d take a worse prospect

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
On a side note, I seem to recall various Ducks and Blackhawks fans decrying us and our Blatantly Tanking nature every time Hutchinson got the start.

Funny how that works.
They are just mad the CBJ tanked because injuries forced the Cleveland Monsters to play. They planned on it

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Playing Johnny 23 minutes isn't trying to lose hard enough, in my opinion a lot could have been done differently much earlier on to clinch the 32nd.
I know I'll take heat for this but I think this has gotten us all so pissed off.... Last night the goals were scored by Peeke off a direct faceoff win from... wait for it... A college signee 2 weeks ago - Hunter McKown. And the second goal was a PP goal by our 15th PP unit with the seasoned Stanislav Svozil and Mikael Pyyhtia getting the assists on a goal by Emil the killer Bemstrom...

I mean we can't make this up. Now if I hear how Johnny and KJ were these defensive stalwarts that shut down the Pens.... I'll just move on to being a whoever gets Bedard fan now.

We're pissed off. I get it. I am too. but the what I see us pointing to has become non-sensical. Maybe I'm just not connecting the same dots. For once it was the "good" team that took the stupid penalties and march to the box in the 3rd. We saw this in the last couple Anaheim games except they took the dumb penalties that cost them. Maybe that is what they did wrong. Didn't take dumb penalties to salt the game away for the other team.

Folks...I think we're going to be OK. Let's see how it all plays out but just take a step back for a few minutes and breath.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I know I'll take heat for this but I think this has gotten us all so pissed off.... Last night the goals were scored by Peeke off a direct faceoff win from... wait for it... A college signee 2 weeks ago - Hunter McKown. And the second goal was a PP goal by our 15th PP unit with the seasoned Stanislav Svozil and Mikael Pyyhtia getting the assists on a goal by Emil the killer Bemstrom...

I mean we can't make this up. Now if I hear how Johnny and KJ were these defensive stalwarts that shut down the Pens.... I'll just move on to being a whoever gets Bedard fan now.

We're pissed off. I get it. I am too. but the what I see us pointing to has become non-sensical. Maybe I'm just not connecting the same dots. For once it was the "good" team that took the stupid penalties and march to the box in the 3rd. We saw this in the last couple Anaheim games except they took the dumb penalties that cost them. Maybe that is what they did wrong. Didn't take dumb penalties to salt the game away for the other team.

Folks...I think we're going to be OK. Let's see how it all plays out but just take a step back for a few minutes and breath.
Such nonsense is how gambling addiction cycles work. When you don't get the result you wanted, you start wildly blaming anything and everything you can think of except for your failure to accurately grasp the concept of probability so that you don't have to question the inevitable need to pull the lever again. It can't possibly be because you failed and invested too much in something that had little chance of turning out the way you wanted. It's clearly the fault of that Something Else.

I'm beginning to suspect that part of the reason for it is that said folks are potentially trapped in a false dichotomy in which they assume that the only alternative is to give up on the team entirely, and they don't want to be seen as bandwagoners by doing that. Consequentially said folks would go into "I'm just trying to give constructive criticism" rationalization mode for their rants, rather than accept that maybe, just maybe, the outcome is substantially nobody's fault and the reason for their heartache is strictly themselves by assuming there was more control involved in the result than was ever actually there.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

I think the great Irony is that most had already given up on Bedard. Even if we came in last place I had no expectation that the League would actually let us win the lottery (Honestly, if it's anyone besides one of the top 10 most valuable teams I'll be shocked). The real pain is that we can't even get the consolation prize because we refused to do what the other teams at the bottom did game in and game out. Finishing last meant we got one of Bedard, Fantilli, Carllson now we are looking down the barrel of Michkov, Benson, Smith if this game against Buffalo goes the way I expect it to.

I know the anti-tank folks believe that there is too much focus on a savior but at some point, you need to draft a Superstar and the best way to find that is to draft at the top. The Jackets have never been lucky to be bad at the right time and even the times when we were close we screwed up our chances at guys like McDavid, Mackinnon, and Matthews. This was a clear opportunity to fill a giant void that has been there since the start of the team and last night was just emblematic of the failure to do what is necessary to improve. We could have shut down every significant piece we have 6 weeks ago but instead, we chose to let the players play so they could develop which will likely cost us our top 3 slot at best.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Portzline Said today , he was told that last years first pick , Juraj Slavosky would go 7th or 8th in this draft . We better not need this perspective after tonight, but hopefully people will realize the talent in the top of this draft .

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think most people here wanted the guaranteed top 3 pick more than hoping for/betting on highest odds for Bedard, but I could be wrong.

What is better, a “guaranteed top 3 pick”, or a “chance at Bedard”??

Some of you are acting like Bedard isn’t still a possibility.

It was up to the lottery before, and it still is now.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Portzline Said today , he was told that last years first pick , Juraj Slavosky would go 7th or 8th in this draft . We better not need this perspective after tonight, but hopefully people will realize the talent in the top of this draft .
I mean, maybe, but it’s probably more like Slafkovsky is in that Benson/Smith/etc tier where some teams/scouts would take him 5th, some would take him 8th, whatever. It seems a pretty clear drop-off this year once you get past Michkov (who actually might be/probably is the 2nd-most talented player in this draft, but there are circumstances largely out of his control).

I think all of the top-four this year would’ve went #1 last year. So it’s still important we don’t fall past that (and I’d prefer not past 3, because I don’t want to deal with the aforementioned Michkov issues).

For the little it’s worth, I also didn’t think it was a very good pick for Montreal. I actually loved/love Nemec the most. Was hoping he’d fall to us (though I like Jiricek too).

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

You’re acting like those two options are in dichotomy with each other when they’re not. I mean, if I had to pick one, I prefer the 100% top-3 over increasing Bedard odds from 13% to 25%. But you wouldn’t have had to pick between those two options, because finishing 32nd would’ve given you both.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

The chance of both of those things increase given losses, don’t they? I personally was rooting for losses for that guarantee.

A guarantee at Fantilli/Carlsson as a consolation prize for missing on Bedard is certainly miles better than Smith/Benson/Michkov/Moore as a consolation.

Anyway, hopefully this can all be moot when we get Bedard.

Reactions: Toe Pick

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Bo Bishop gave him every opportunity to backtrack and lament the team not losing to get the #1 odds for the 1st pick. Jody just couldn’t bend.. he said that is not talked about by the organizatiion don’t want a culture of losing. Bo was way to kind. You are losers, you even lose at making yourself better

You haven’t beaten Pittsburgh at anything Yet you had to get two points last night? That was a Shiite sandwich Jody. Go do another commercial you idiot

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If there’s 1 thing the players need credit, they never quit.
Which should bode well for next season and the coming up seasons

Getting a franchise level prospect after a season like this is just what the doctor ordered.

31st in the league guarentees a top 4 pick. After yesterdays disappointment I have recovered, and I am whelmed with the end result.

The tank is therefore officially over. Been a pleasure to tank watch and suffer with you.

Knowing it’s 2nd before lottery makes everything worth it.

This draft will change the direction of their team building

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah I think in the end this is fine, #31. It's not guaranteed top-3 but at least it's top-4 so we can have endless talk about Michkov... but at least it will still be relevant to talk about Fantilli and Carlsson as well.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Id say what has me passed off is I do not have the faith in the organization to do the right thing moving forward to become a team that competes for Cups.

If we were 32nd, we would at least be in a place where it is close to impossible to screw up the pick.

Because we might draft 4th, we now have entered the zone where our front office could make a brilliant pick or really screw things up. I for one think we would likely screw things up based on the team that the front office has already put together.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
13.5% Bedard
14.4% Fantilli
32.0% Carlsson
40.2% Michkov

I like Michkov so Im happy with it. And the odds are still 60/40 in favor of getting the 1C

Reactions: Byrral
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille