The Tank Thread - 2022-23 edition (Lottery Drawing 05/08/23 7PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
As is tradition.

team has revealed itself immediately this season. #ScarredForBedard
giphy.gif

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Did they swap the fanbase with Canadians or what's going on, what happened to my (relatively) even keeled Columbus boys and girls??

Seriously though, it's been 3 games, 2½ of those without Laine. The roster still has it's problems but they're also underperforming atm. I also maintain this year is still one with low expectations, though you want & need to see improvement from last season, but I'm not throwing the axe in the well (Finnish idioms ftw) after a couple games.

Like the St. Louis game last night, that was just the kind of game where a well timed goal by Laine (or anyone else for that matter) could've changed the game. The difference to last season this far is the offense is not firing on all cylinders, besides missing Laine there's a bunch of guys who need to do better on that respect (as well as defensively but that goes without saying).

The other thing about missing Laine is it's kinda screwing up most of the lines and the team is not in a position where they can afford to lose him. Suddenly you have someone like Danforth playing in the 1st line (Larsen, most of us like Danforth but that's not a great idea), where he is out of his league and the middle-6 is also made weaker. I'd rather see Laine replaced with someone with at least high offensive potential, that way you have someone for Gaudreau to play offense with and meanwhile your middle-6 can play more solid.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Did they swap the fanbase with Canadians or what's going on, what happened to my (relatively) even keeled Columbus boys and girls??

Seriously though, it's been 3 games, 2½ of those without Laine. The roster still has it's problems but they're also underperforming atm. I also maintain this year is still one with low expectations, though you want & need to see improvement from last season, but I'm not throwing the axe in the well (Finnish idioms ftw) after a couple games.

Like the St. Louis game last night, that was just the kind of game where a well timed goal by Laine (or anyone else for that matter) could've changed the game. The difference to last season this far is the offense is not firing on all cylinders, besides missing Laine there's a bunch of guys who need to do better on that respect (as well as defensively but that goes without saying).

The other thing about missing Laine is it's kinda screwing up most of the lines and the team is not in a position where they can afford to lose him. Suddenly you have someone like Danforth playing in the 1st line (Larsen, most of us like Danforth but that's not a great idea), where he is out of his league and the middle-6 is also made weaker. I'd rather see Laine replaced with someone with at least high offensive potential, that way you have someone for Gaudreau to play offense with and meanwhile your middle-6 can play more solid.
What has fired me up was the home opener when the team play uninspired hockey for the better part of the game. What else needs to be done to at least play your asses off? If you lose then I can handle that, what I can’t handle is guys skating around like it was an optional skate. I was there and saw it and never saw that in a home opener and I have been to all of them.

No we are not the Canadiens fan base but those of us who have been supporters/fans since the beginning saw this act before. They got Nash and did nothing to advance the team. At least I don’t want history repeating itself. They now have premier winger and can’t play defense. This was the mantra in exit interviews and all the talk. It’s time to quit saying “clean-up a few items” and show us.

I want them to take a step forward by applying pressure, this is different than saying I want them to make the playoffs this year. The GA in 3 games is extremely telling. Losing Laine hurt but that doesn’t explain playing team defense.

Playing uninspired hockey in front of your home crowd is the item that worries me the most, because that isn’t system defense this is a bigger possible issue that has nothing to do with systems and “clean-up”.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If you’re not first, you’re better off being last. I’d rather have a chance at a generational talent vs sneaking into the playoffs and getting swept with a mediocre to average roster.
Except we'd still lose the lottery. Pittsburgh is about due to miss the playoffs and then miraculously win the lottery for Crosby's replacement.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
The league is going to love it when he's playing in Arizona for 5000 people a night.
They fix the lottery that he isnt going small market area. CHI gets its no matter what.
About the thread there no reason to tank cause team is so horrible its no tanking its what it is. Any other team hasnt look so bad than CBJ and thats really bad. Bedard would be great but i rather want some success even once.

Reactions: Fro and behemolari
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Tanking usually destroys a team's culture. On top of that, not many 1st or 2nd overall picks are franchise players, so you destroy your team's will and probably get at best a decent player. Everybody loves to point out Crosby and McDavid. How many of those have there been in the last 20 years?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Tanking usually destroys a team's culture. On top of that, not many 1st or 2nd overall picks are franchise players, so you destroy your team's will and probably get at best a decent player. Everybody loves to point out Crosby and McDavid. How many of those have there been in the last 20 years?
Just playing devil's advocate but...

Stamkos, Ovechkin, Matthews, Kane.

But having said that every single player(including Mcdavid and Crosby) have other franchise and/or generational talent on the rosters. One player alone doesn't flip a franchises woes.

What does Mcdavid and the oilers look like if they whiffed on Draisitl?

Does Crosby ever get a cup without Malkin on the roster?

What does Ovi's career look like without Backstrom?

Does Kane and the hawks have multiple cups without Toews/Keith?

Sure those players would've been fine, but those teams as a whole don't get to the level of dominance without multiple dominant players. We can argue about whose the best between Gaudreau, Nash or Panarin, but none of them ever had more than themselves to pick up the slack on their off days. Maybe Laine will be that for Gaudreau but we just don't know yet.

Reactions: TaketheCannoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

There's going to be some great players in this year's draft. I'd take at least 5 of them over anyone from last year. But still that's one player. Hockey is not a one player sport. It's not worth spoiling the young talent that you already have.

Reactions: CBJx614
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
There's going to be some great players in this year's draft. I'd take at least 5 of them over anyone from last year. But still that's one player. Hockey is not a one player sport. It's not worth spoiling the young talent that you already have.
Yes there are some players the experts believe will be great. They miss on this regularly and as you said it's not worth spoiling the young talent.

We should face it, Toronto got lucky, Edmonton got lucky after about 8 years of tanking, Pittsburgh got lucky. That's three teams in 17 years.

Reactions: CBJx614

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
What culture is there in Columbus? Whatever was there left with Torts and was getting stale at the end.

Get the good players and you’ll find your winning culture

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What culture is there in Columbus? Whatever was there left with Torts and was getting stale at the end.

Get the good players and you’ll find your winning culture

If you think this is bad then I can tell you weren't rooting for the Sabres or Oilers from 2010 to 2020. You can get your good players and still be painfully bad because they can't bring good culture where bad culture has taken root. Good players do not equal good culture.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If you think this is bad then I can tell you weren't rooting for the Sabres or Oilers from 2010 to 2020. You can get your good players and still be painfully bad because they can't bring good culture where bad culture has taken root. Good players do not equal good culture.
I would actually imagine it's much easier to find great players with bad habits than it is great players with great habits.

All these kids have spent the ages 12/13-18/19 being top dog on campus in a culture where parties and getting f***ed up with your boys is glorified not to mention they are away from their families and now they get a big boy salary to add fuel to the fire. Even with all the coaches and trainers around them, it's easy for these kids to build up bad habits.

Reactions: TaketheCannoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad