The Tank Thread - 2022-23 edition (Lottery Drawing 05/08/23 7PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Btw. I think there's plenty of reasons to keep the team itself isolated from the tank, that means everyone who's part of "executing" at games and that includes the coach. They need to keep their competitive integrity, they need to be able to play their hearts out if they're so inclined and not screw up career opportunities for their teammates. The players need to be playing to win and the coach needs to make the decisions he thinks are best for the team. The coach also needs to look at the future more than the players, so If that means playing your AHL call ups 20 minutes because you think there's some long term benefit in that even if it lessens your chances to win that particular (meaningless) game, sure, but that benefit can't be losing on purpose. No way you can have the respect of players after that, they are playing first and foremost for their income and career and that's how it should be, you can't expect them to care for CBJ success 5-years into the future because there's no guarantee for any of of them they will actually be there. To a lesser degree the same can be said for the coach.

Management level decisions are different, they have a different perspective.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
We weren't going to out tank Anaheim.

Yes, they started yesterday in 32nd place and one point behind Anaheim. But the Jackets had 2 games left. At their season point percentage, odds are they get at least 1 point in the final 2 games. That puts them above Anaheim by the tie breaker.

Face it, Anaheim ended on a 16 game losing streak. That's pretty unheard of. As a result, they were very likely going to end up dead last even if we go back to yesterday.

Today's game is the real test. It's the difference between 31st and virtually being guaranteed Fantilli or Carlsson, and 29th and getting a guy who may be a 1st/2nd line guy in 2-3 years.

That said, the question is what I would have done differently from Jarmo to further the tank. The answer is that I would not have filled the NHL roster for the last 2 weeks with guys who have stars in their eyes and invite their family to see their inaugural NHL games. Rookies and tweeners are fighting for an NHL career and so even these late season games have meaning. Instead, I tell the veterans who are capable of playing that they are going to dress these last 2 weeks. While those guys are thinking ahead to vacation and golf, I have the young guys in Cleveland fighting for an AHL playoffs push.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I get why people are mad at bemmer but it was a tap in. The whole play is made by Pyyhtia.
Note: Not directed at you!

Well, I don't get how anyone can be mad AT any player for performing their job and trying to do it at the highest level they can. I get it that not all players will continue to perform at a high level when the outcome is determined (no playoffs) but many of these guys are playing for NHL jobs and some are wired not to lose (I want them on my team by the way) and they simply aren't going to "miss" for hopes that the next guy comes in and takes their job (sarcasm for those that need it said).

Bemstrom, in particular, may not be here next year but he certainly wants to show he can play in the NHL. So, that's the one thing I can't get on board with here that we, as fans, think these players will cave and align with the big front office picture of the future. They play for now and the future. I don't put any of this on the players. I think it's a little absurd to think the players will roll over as much as we might hope they do.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I really hope this tank job of Ducks will bite them and they'll both lose the lottery and be stuck at the bottom for next 10 years and then we can have another chat how this org should've told the players to lose on purpose.

They have won TWO of their last 10 games, damn these meaningless end of seasons streaks!
And I actually hope more for Chicago. To me, Chicago and San Jose deserve to live below the bottom for years. I get it, it's up to them on how to run their team but I find it disgusting that something like that would be rewarded. Regardless of who CBJ selects, I still feel this team is set up really well for the long term with the prospect pool and core. Clearly they lack Center depth and the Goalie thing we've talked to death but we're going to still get a prospect that is likely higher rated in their draft year than any we have in our prospect pool. Will they fulfill the promise? That's the question. I'm going to still put out there we win the lottery and end up with Bedard! We lose tonight and keep our odds as high as possible...

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Eh, I dont care if Ducks get him. Theyre in the west and have 1 cup from like 15 years ago. One of the better options if you consider the other ones include Hawks, Habs (picked 1st last year), division rivals, Binnington

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I feel like this is a metric Jarmo will use to justify Larsen staying when they played with an AHL roster. No matter who we draft or where we pick in the lottery, I think keeping this coaching staff would be a much bigger mistake.
Likely a stat that 60% of this board will use when they project the Jackets to get nto the 2023-24 playoffs...

:)

Reactions: EspenK

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wish we could have foreseen Pyyhtia being so dangerous and Hutch playing at a Sv% like .67 over his average.
Plenty of us did in fact foresee that, despite it being proclaimed as a sure-fire path to a Necessary Loss.

Swear to G-d, some of the gambling addiction symptoms in this thread make Art Schilchter look like a model citizen...

• Haha
Reactions: GoJackets1

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
F the ducks.

Bunch of losers with no intent on getting better for the last 3 years.
Dont get me wrong, f*** them (especially Zegras and MacTavish who magically went out of form at the same time), but would rather see eg. Capitals getting him? I'd be way more salty if I had to watch them replace Ovi with Bedard, and then watch CBJ play in the same division forever

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
On a side note, I seem to recall various Ducks and Blackhawks fans decrying us and our Blatantly Tanking nature every time Hutchinson got the start.

Funny how that works.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Playing Johnny 23 minutes isn't trying to lose hard enough, in my opinion a lot could have been done differently much earlier on to clinch the 32nd.
Ah I see, so a coaching problem, not management.

I don't disagree with your second piece, but we were never going to be as bad as a team trying to lose as hard as the Ducks were.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Those aren’t contradictory in this case.
Also, I’ve never said players shouldn’t try. That’s a ridiculous expectation/ask. Who knows for certain whether all of Anaheim’s were completely (see McTavish texts to Bedard), but I’m presuming they were. And (with that full presumption) getting two points over the final 13 games is pathetic. That’s a 13-point pace over an 82-game season.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
If we f*** this up and win. Everyone should be fired, one game can bring in biggest C prospect in our history or bring some midrange whatever first rounder like every fking year

Reactions: DougKnowsBest
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad