Slovakia: The Slovak Hockey Transactions and News Thread

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
As you've probably read by now, Tomas Tatar made his NHL debut. He wore number 21 with the Red Wings and scored on his very first shot. :) His goal celebration was great. I liked what Hall of Famer Larry Murphy said on the Tatar goal: "you can't go on to get 500 if you don't score that first one".

Finally some good news.

After being in such a crappy mood all week because of the terrible showing by the U20s, finally something to be happy about.

ap-2a2dc965864f496585c7069efa4a8e17.jpg

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
After being in such a crappy mood all week because of the terrible showing by the U20s, finally something to be happy about.

I am not too down about the U20s. Going in I felt the strength of this team was in defensive depth. That has since become a farse; they were down to four healthy defenders against Finland. I was never sold on the quality of the forwards or goaltending. All things being considered, I was surprised they gave Switzerland such a difficult game. I have my fingers crossed for them against Norway.

I like some of the things I am seeing from the U17s. Especially strong performances from underagers Reway and the Topolcany guy. They are still losing like they do every year, but at least in the last game they put up a very good fight for most of the game.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Kamzik:

Regarding the U20s: Yes, I agree with some of what you say, but it doesn´t mean that they can out in a heartless effort like they´re doing. Very disappointed with pretty much everyone not named Richard Pánik on offense, especially the CHL guys (and between them especially Kudrna has been somewhere between invisible and atrocious) as I didn´t expect anything much offensively from them. I remember last year when we argued about the number of CHL players on the team and this showing only supported my opinion from last year that asides the top notch players like Pánik, Tatar, Marinčin etc. it really doesn´t matter whether they take the CHL guys or the HK Orange guys, we just suck. For all I know they could take a bunch of kids from prípravka and they wouldn´t perform much worse than some of the players, well actually those little kids might actually put some heart into it. Anyway, I am disappointed once again with the U20 showing, especially since I´ve been looking forward to it for a few weeks prior and will continue to be disappointed for a few more days, but hopefully in a few years some of these guys will develop into some good players and never will look back at this then.

Have you actually seen either of the U17s games? Doesn´t really seem like such a strong effort when in both games we´ve had one period where we´ve managed 2 fraking shots. Btw Topoľčany guy name´s Matej Paulovič, he got named best player for Slovakia in the first game against Ontario.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Kamzik:
Regarding the U20s

I agree with most of what you say also, though I think you are a little harsh. The team has been pathetic for sure, but careful with your expectations. I saw a nice post on hokej.sk, a guy wrote that even in a year they were totally healthy and had Hossa, Cisar, Nagy, Nemec, etc. on the roster, they were getting killed. In this level of competition and playing with 4-5 defenders, you must expect 6-0 losses. No collection of players from SVK would do any better than this bunch in their circumstances.

With regards to Kudrna, as chosen by the Germany coaching staff, he was Slovakia's most valuable player in their only win so far. But you won't get any argument from me with regard to Andrej. I wonder how SVK benefits from leaving Bortnak and Kudrna off the team last year and throwing them in this year with no experience. I will answer my own question, they should have been fourth liners on the team last year.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I agree with most of what you say also, though I think you are a little harsh. The team has been pathetic for sure, but careful with your expectations. I saw a nice post on hokej.sk, a guy wrote that even in a year they were totally healthy and had Hossa, Cisar, Nagy, Nemec, etc. on the roster, they were getting killed. In this level of competition and playing with 4-5 defenders, you must expect 6-0 losses. No collection of players from SVK would do any better than this bunch in their circumstances.

With regards to Kudrna, as chosen by the Germany coaching staff, he was Slovakia's most valuable player in their only win so far. But you won't get any argument from me with regard to Andrej. I wonder how SVK benefits from leaving Bortnak and Kudrna off the team last year and throwing them in this year with no experience. I will answer my own question, they should have been fourth liners on the team last year.

I don´t think I´m being too harsh. Yes, I´m very well aware that finishing 7th-9th has been normal for various Slovak U20 teams in the past, far more talented sides, the best example of that the 1999/2000 team. But while we finished at around the same positions, the way we got there was different- we usually didn´t get blown out in all the games but with the ones with Canada usually. However never have been the results as pathetic as these last few years. We suck- that is the reality and the sooner we acknowledge it and do something about it, the better, I´s day you´d agree ont his with me. And if the IIHF goes with the new format for the lower divisions, once we get to Division I (and it will happen sooner or later), it won´t be easy at all to get back. It´s time to cancel the whole HK Orange (it´s only objective not to get relegated is not worth all the money, especially if we actually get relegated) things and start right where the problem starts- with the youngets 4-10 year old kids- I think there is enough countries to take inspiration from- Canada, USA and Sweden. Maybe Orange can give the money to pay the expenses for travelling to the U16 teams and we can finally establish a top level U16 league, because from I gather everyone but SZĽH wants one. (well, the smaller weaker teams would of course disagree, but....)

And let´s not just blame everything on the loss of Marinčin and HraÅ¡ko. Look at the Swiss last year, they lost both Sbisa and Josi and made it all the way to the semifinals. (And I know they had 6 other D-men back then, but none of them was at least a bit as good as the two injured guys).

I´m not sure whether any collection of SVK players would do any better, but I´m pretty sure that no collection but our recent IHWC teams would put lesser effort into it.

You seriously think that playing >10 minutes or warming the bench in last years group games and then playing Austria in the relegation round would have any serious influence on the way those guys played this year? They´ve both been playing in the WHL for the third year now, if that didn´t help them, this certainly wouldn´t.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
It´s time to cancel the whole HK Orange (it´s only objective not to get relegated is not worth all the money, especially if we actually get relegated) things and start right where the problem starts- with the youngets 4-10 year old kids- I think there is enough countries to take inspiration from- Canada, USA and Sweden. Maybe Orange can give the money to pay the expenses for travelling to the U16 teams and we can finally establish a top level U16 league, because from I gather everyone but SZĽH wants one. (well, the smaller weaker teams would of course disagree, but....)

I entirely agree, HK Orange is nonsense.

Read the interview with Red Wings Czech scout Vladimir Havluj(link below).It´s partially about Czech hockey but in that case Czech=Slovakian.

http://www.prohockey.cz/clanky.php?id=154

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Could anyone give a synopsis of the above article?

I think it's basically talking about what he looks for when he goes to scout a player. A little talk about what smaller players can do to get noticed. Other points about skills and 'heart'.

Also talks about how the Wings have a ranking system. Each team has it's own ''scale''.

I don't have the time or the talent to translate it perfect. Maybe one of the native speakers can help you.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
I think it's basically talking about what he looks for when he goes to scout a player. A little talk about what smaller players can do to get noticed. Other points about skills and 'heart'.

Also talks about how the Wings have a ranking system. Each team has it's own ''scale''.

I don't have the time or the talent to translate it perfect. Maybe one of the native speakers can help you.

The most important part of interview are last three answers where he says what´s wrong with Czech developing system, what should be changed in Czech hockey etc.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The most important part of interview are last three answers where he says what´s wrong with Czech developing system, what should be changed in Czech hockey etc.

I translated the interview HERE and also added parts of an interesting interview with Å vehla.

The most important point Havluj made in my opinion was when he talked about how the system is creating pretty mucha lot of average players.

I don´t know whether anyone else remembers, but during last season SZĽH published this long article in all sorts of media, boasting about how much they have done for youth hockey in the last few years and so on. It also had an answer to lods of people complaining about this issue that Havluj mentioned and the article pretty much said that hockey is for everyone and until 15 they have to treat everyone the same. When that´s the philosophy of your federation then it´s expected that you´re hardly gonna develop much exceptional players.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Peter Olvecky signs with KalPa from the SM-Liiga. Wonder how he'll fit into the league and the team, KalPa is known for being pretty strict when it comes to the "game book", no place for solo plays. Also what do you guys who have seen him play more think, will his game be a better fit for the SM-Liiga than the AHL? Statistics state that he's pretty much a 0.5PPG player in the AHL, while that's not technically all that bad I'm sure KalPa is looking for a guy who can put up numbers slightly better than that, considering their top center Tommi Miettinen isn't producing at the rate he's used to before in his career in Finland and Sweden. Atleast he should be pretty motivated since something closer to 0.7-0.8 PPG could warrant him some serious considerations for a spot in the upcoming World Championships..?

Last edited:

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
being a Tatar myself (nationality) i'm quiet pumped for this guy:laugh:

Great goal, great boy:handclap:

P:S: what a perfectly strange but beutiful surname he's got! is it common in Slovakia?

Not in my region of Slovakia, but it's probable his surname is common in his birthplace - Ilava. You never know, maybe he's got some Tatar ancestors. :)

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Peter Olvecky signs with KalPa from the SM-Liiga. Wonder how he'll fit into the league and the team, KalPa is known for being pretty strict when it comes to the "game book", no place for solo plays. Also what do you guys who have seen him play more think, will his game be a better fit for the SM-Liiga than the AHL? Statistics state that he's pretty much a 0.5PPG player in the AHL, while that's not technically all that bad I'm sure KalPa is looking for a guy who can put up numbers slightly better than that, considering their top center Tommi Miettinen isn't producing at the rate he's used to before in his career in Finland and Sweden. Atleast he should be pretty motivated since something closer to 0.7-0.8 PPG could warrant him some serious considerations for a spot in the upcoming World Championships..?

Although I'm not a supporter of Dukla Trenčín, where he's played this season, according to Dukla's fans he's been one of the best players of the team. In my opinion he's a good team player, defensive responsible with good face off and it's likely for him to make 0.7-0.8 PPG in SM-Liiga. In Slovak Extraliga he made 26 points in 25 games.
However I doubt he's got a chance to play at the World Championship in Slovakia this year.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Although I'm not a supporter of Dukla Trenčín, where he's played this season, according to Dukla's fans he's been one of the best players of the team. In my opinion he's a good team player, defensive responsible with good face off and it's likely for him to make 0.7-0.8 PPG in SM-Liiga. In Slovak Extraliga he made 26 points in 25 games.
However I doubt he's got a chance to play at the World Championship in Slovakia this year.

Thx for the info!

Let us see how he'll do, it wouldn't be all that surprising to see him score higher than 0.5PPG since he's probably a better player now than he was back in the AHL, netting big numbers and minutes in a good league in Slovakia must have done him good. Oh and I'm not sure how the fact that the WC is held in Slovakia slipped my mind like that, ofcourse you're gonna ice the best possible team which is hard to make for any player outside of the NHL/KHL.

On a side note, it's been pretty cool to see that some of the SM-Liiga teams are starting to sign some Slovaks too after a long brake, even my team have a couple of em (although Kudroc is not your typical Slovak :sarcasm:). I remember in the mid to late 90's when Ässät used to sign boatloads of Czech and Slovaks, they were always my favorite players even if they did or didn't produce any. :laugh: Jan Lipiansky :yo:

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Thx for the info!

Let us see how he'll do, it wouldn't be all that surprising to see him score higher than 0.5PPG since he's probably a better player now than he was back in the AHL, netting big numbers and minutes in a good league in Slovakia must have done him good. Oh and I'm not sure how the fact that the WC is held in Slovakia slipped my mind like that, ofcourse you're gonna ice the best possible team which is hard to make for any player outside of the NHL/KHL.

On a side note, it's been pretty cool to see that some of the SM-Liiga teams are starting to sign some Slovaks too after a long brake, even my team have a couple of em (although Kudroc is not your typical Slovak :sarcasm:). I remember in the mid to late 90's when Ässät used to sign boatloads of Czech and Slovaks, they were always my favorite players even if they did or didn't produce any. :laugh: Jan Lipiansky :yo:

We'll see of course... :)

And I think it's good some more talented Slovak players play in SM-Liiga, because it's better league than Slovak Extraliga and you play on NA rink's size so our players can improve. Although then we miss them. :)
As a Ässät supporter, can you tell me how is Tomáš Záborský doing now?

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
As a Ässät supporter, can you tell me how is Tomáš Záborský doing now?

He had a HUGE start to the season, netting way more than a PPG in the first 10 or so games, after that he was on a bit of a cold streak. He's scored a couple of goals in the past two games though, so he's started to pick it up again (25 games, 9+10). A small problem with the second line has been the fact that they haven't found a center who would be able to feed the wingers, so a vast majority of the chances the second line creates come from strong individual performances from either Zaborsky or the other winger Patrick Yetman. Both of those guys are fast wingers with good hands but neither one is really able to create chances for each other.

Eventhough Ässät have an option year with him (2012) I'd say it's very likely he's generated some interest in the KHL. I'm hoping he stays with Ässät, but the SM-Liiga organisations are usually willing to let the players leave if that's what they want and to me Zabo seems like a guy who wants to compete at the highest level possible.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
What do you mean with that?

Well I've always seen the "typical Slovak" as someone who's very skilled with the puck but not all that great in the one end (see Richard Lintner for instance). Kudroc is pretty much the opposite to that description (eventhough he had a couple of odd career seasons in SM-Liiga a few years back, he's not very offensive d-man at all).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad