Slovakia: The Slovak Hockey Transactions and News Thread

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Vladimír Mihálik and Mário Bližňák signed new one year two way contracts with Tampa Bay Lightning respectivelly Vancouver Canucks last week.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Interesting Lubomir Visnovsky interview in today's Pravda:

http://hokej.pravda.sk/visnovsky-ne.../sk_hhokej.asp?c=A100803_224900_sk_hhokej_p43

Lubomir had some very stupid and naive things to say in the interview. His words are too ignorant to warrant a translation. They remind me of words on HFBoards by for example an ignorant Canadian. Only this time the words are in Slovak. I hate how opinionated he his, how most of his opinions are based on ignorance, and his high comfort level playing in cities that could care absolutely less about hockey.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

http://hokej.pravda.sk/visnovsky-ne.../sk_hhokej.asp?c=A100803_224900_sk_hhokej_p43

Lubomir had some very stupid and naive things to say in the interview. His words are too ignorant to warrant a translation. They remind me of words on HFBoards by for example an ignorant Canadian. Only this time the words are in Slovak. I hate how opinionated he his, how most of his opinions are based on ignorance, and his high comfort level playing in cities that could care absolutely less about hockey.

I have to admit that I haven´t read the interview. But I´m not sure why you´re so surprised, IMO Ľubo has always acted and talked (at least since I can remember) like a naive kid.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

I could read some of it, but nothing really stood out to me as crazy. (Unless I misunderstood some of it, which is probably the case.)

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site

Which part do you find so ignorant? I think he just prefers California before beautiful weatker in Alberta. Like 90% of people would do. He did not insult city of Edmonton or Canada.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Which part do you find so ignorant? I think he just prefers California before beautiful weatker in Alberta. Like 90% of people would do. He did not insult city of Edmonton or Canada.

I have no problems with Vishy choosing Los Angeles over Edmonton. Wayne Gretzky and Chris Pronger have made similar moves. If I were an NHL player, I myself would prefer playing in a city that cared about the sport and had fans that understand the game.

Three things stood out for me that I thought were igorant:

(1) Using whatever happened to Demitra's wife in Vancouver as an example that US healthcare is better than Canadian. If you don't know what you are talking about, it is better to keep your mouth shut. I believe this to be offensive to Canadians.

(2) His thoughts that Slovak hockey parents have a lot to learn from Canadian ones who are apparently more relaxed and less pushy. I mean seriously?

(3) He said that Edmonton could be a difficult place to raise young children because of extreme cold. As someone who was born in the far north, stop being such a wuss Lubomir. I would also take cold over earthquakes and drive-by shootings. :)

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
I have no problems with Vishy choosing Los Angeles over Edmonton. Wayne Gretzky and Chris Pronger have made similar moves. If I were an NHL player, I myself would prefer playing in a city that cared about the sport and had fans that understand the game.

Three things stood out for me that I thought were igorant:

(1) Using whatever happened to Demitra's wife in Vancouver as an example that US healthcare is better than Canadian. If you don't know what you are talking about, it is better to keep your mouth shut. I believe this to be offensive to Canadians.

(2) His thoughts that Slovak hockey parents have a lot to learn from Canadian ones who are apparently more relaxed and less pushy. I mean seriously?

(3) He said that Edmonton could be a difficult place to raise young children because of extreme cold. As someone who was born in the far north, stop being such a wuss Lubomir. I would also take cold over earthquakes and drive-by shootings. :)

1- I agree with you that it was really stupid comment. It sounds like he's comparing Canadian healtcare to Uzbekistan.
2- There are some crazy hockey parents everywhere. Patrick O'Sullivan is a great example, but I agree with him that too many Slovak hockey parents are crazy.
3- Totally agree with you, but he is just too lazy and comfortable. He spent many years in LA and then got traded to Edmonton. Bad bad bad NHL managers :) How could you do this to little Lubko?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

His neighborhood in Anaheim will likely be full of multi-million dollar homes and gated. No drive-bys there.

Podollan

Aug 11, 2010
Will any if you guys go to the Cassovia Hockey Cup in Kosice?
I am from Kassel, Germany and I will most likely make the huge trip to Slovakia to support my team and to see a new country and town and stadium and I would love to meet some hockey fans from slovakia there!
Should I be careful in the city?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
A few days old, but Majo and Kopecký took the cup to Dukla. Looked like a good time.

4.JPG

6.JPG

9a.JPG

9e.JPG

9n.JPG

9u.JPG

What the hell was this all about? :laugh:

l.JPG

http://www.hkdukla.sk/index.php?cmd=clanok&cislo=1139

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
The Pittsburgh Penguins today cut ties with veteran forward Bill Guerin. There is speculation from many sources including the agent of Marek Svatos that a deal could be close. Marek Svatos has expressed an interest in joining the Penguins and it might be a nice fit. Of course it is not yet a sure thing, the Penguins could opt for younger players like Tangradi, but I hope they sign Marek.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
The Pittsburgh Penguins today cut ties with veteran forward Bill Guerin. There is speculation from many sources including the agent of Marek Svatos that a deal could be close. Marek Svatos has expressed an interest in joining the Penguins and it might be a nice fit. Of course it is not yet a sure thing, the Penguins could opt for younger players like Tangradi, but I hope they sign Marek.

Awesome. I just bought a Svatos Avs jersey. Would love to wear it to a Pens game. :laugh:

Also, Miro practicing with Jaro in some new Warrior gear.

s06_7026-1.jpg

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Dukla Trenčín got pwned today in the second round of the Extraliga, 8-2 to MHC Mountfield Martin. Rather disappointing, I felt things were going to be different this year with the return of Tibor Melichárek, Jan Pardavy, plus Kollár, Sekeráš, Jánoš & one more year of experience for Gašparovič and Tybor. It may be too early to panic though, even though they looked just as poor in exhibition. I think perhaps age has caught up to some of the bigger names.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Hell must have frozen over because Rastislav Pavlikovsky was invited to the Chicago Blackhawks training camp. I never liked Rastislav, and now even less that he is in his 30s. I imagine Chicago needs cheap players with all their cap issues. Perhaps even Marian Hossa had some influence on the decision. :) Anyhow his chances of making the team must be next to zero.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hell must have frozen over because Rastislav Pavlikovsky was invited to the Chicago Blackhawks training camp. I never liked Rastislav, and now even less that he is in his 30s. I imagine Chicago needs cheap players with all their cap issues. Perhaps even Marian Hossa had some influence on the decision. :) Anyhow his chances of making the team must be next to zero.

i see it also as a work of Hossa... But i dont think he will make the team...

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

:laugh:

How the hell does he get a tryout? Kopecký and Majo must of owed him a big favor or something because I think Pavlikovsky would even have trouble in making an AHL team now.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Marek Svatos has signed a one year contract with Avangard Omsk of the KHL. So ends the Svatos off-season sauga of 2010. For awhile it looked very much like he was going to sign with the Pittsburgh Penguins, that seemed like such a good fit. Then I heard New York Islanders. It is too bad, I believe he still had it in him to continue the NHL. Perhaps after his deal with Omsk expires he will return.

EDIT: It appears Svatos has signed for one year / one million USD, probably most of it tax free. There is a 20 percent bonus if Omsk wins the Gagarin Cup.

Last edited:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Miroslav Satan notched his second hatrick in three games with Slovan Bratislava. He is 6+1 in three games this year in the Extraliga. Not only did he score three in his last game versus Zilina, none of them were cheap. Interesting to draw comparisons with Zigmund Palffy's tenure with Skalica. There are of course differences, Palffy played for Skalica after taking a long break from hockey. On the other hand, Miro seems to give more dedication to the sport, and does more with less talent. Just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad