Slovakia: The Slovak Hockey Transactions and News Thread

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
One less Slovak in the Tampa organization: they have sent Andrej Meszaros to the Philadelphia Flyers for a second round pick.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
One less Slovak in the Tampa organization: they have sent Andrej Meszaros to the Philadelphia Flyers for a second round pick.

Poor guy..

Philadelphia is the last place I'd want to play. And he's worth more than a 2nd.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Poor guy..

Philadelphia is the last place I'd want to play. And he's worth more than a 2nd.

With Pronger, Carle, O'Donnell, Coburn, Timonen, and Meszaros, the Flyers have a great defensive corps. The Lightning replaced Mez with Pavel Kubina = older, slower, cheaper, less potential upside.

I still believe Mez has the potential to regain his "all rookie" form, the same way Toronto believes fellow "all rookie" d-man Dion Phaneuf can regain his.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
With Pronger, Carle, O'Donnell, Coburn, Timonen, and Meszaros, the Flyers have a great defensive corps. The Lightning replaced Mez with Pavel Kubina = older, slower, cheaper, less potential upside.

I still believe Mez has the potential to regain his "all rookie" form, the same way Toronto believes fellow "all rookie" d-man Dion Phaneuf can regain his.

I was speaking in terms of how misable a city Philadelpia is.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
No word from Svatos or Demo yet..

I hope Svatos finds a home in the NHL, I really miss that rookie goal scoring..

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
No word from Svatos or Demo yet..

I hope Svatos finds a home in the NHL, I really miss that rookie goal scoring..

I have heard the Pittsburgh Penguins have talked to both Patrick O'Sullivan and Marek Svatos. I think Marek would be a nice fit on the Penguins with all those talented centres. I also know that the Toronto Maple Leafs have talked to Maxim Afinogenov, Marek Svatos, and Raffi Torres. I'd love to see Marek in the blue and white. Apart from pre-season, haven't had a Slovak in a Leafs uniform since Robert Svehla. :)

As for Pavol Demitra, things are far less certain. I've heard KHL and Columbus Blue Jackets.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Jaro sIgned today. 4 yrs 15mil.

I suppose that's a fair deal. Glad he got paid.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Of course I don't know if this is true or not but Pavol Demitra has 2 significant offers from KHL teams and is currently trying to work something out with the New York Rangers.

I heard the Stanley Cup will spend August 5th, 6th, and 7th in Slovakia courtesy of Tomas Kopecky and Marian Hossa.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Of course I don't know if this is true or not but Pavol Demitra has 2 significant offers from KHL teams and is currently trying to work something out with the New York Rangers.

I heard the Stanley Cup will spend August 5th, 6th, and 7th in Slovakia courtesy of Tomas Kopecky and Marian Hossa.

Why do they get an extra day with the Cup? I thought it was 24 hours per player? No?

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Why do they get an extra day with the Cup? I thought it was 24 hours per player? No?

I don't think it is a hard-and-fast rule, I know Miroslav Satan was granted a little extra time last year [the cup spent time in Bratislava, Jasovce, and Topolcany]. Also the 5th and 7th probably aren't full days with travel in and out of SVK, so it probably works out to around 48 hrs or so.

The fourth offer for Demitra has apparently come from the Atlanta Thrashers. So four offers for Demitra, two from the KHL plus the Rangers and Atlanta.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
In other ''transactions'', Majo was married to his longtime GF Jana.

http://dnes.atlas.sk/slovensko/verejna-sfera/663303/marian-hossa-sa-ozenil

Okrem Marcela a Demitru na svadbe nechýbal samozrejme ani Tomáš Kopecký, ktorý s Mariánom získal v jednom tíme Stanleyho pohár. Z ďalšÃ­ch hviezdnych mien NHL Miroslav Šatan, Marián Gáborík, či Zdeno Chára.

Nice guest list. I believe I saw Martin Havlát there as well as Richard Lintner.

Gáborik s priateľkou

marian-hossa-svadba-jul-19248.jpg

These dresses. Yikes

HP_DSC_2024.JPG

HP_DSC_2070.JPG

Miro has made millions of dollars in the NHL, you think he could afford a better shirt.

HP_DSC_2220.JPG

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
On 10th of August a team of Slovak NHL/KHL players coached by Glen Hanlon will play Slovak league team HK Nitra in an exhibition game organized by Miroslav Šatan´s nadation. A similar game was played back in 08 in Bratislava against Slovan. I´ve heard that Peter Bondra could play in the game.

Btw, it seems that nothing in Slovak hockey can´t exist without having Orange in it´s name anymore as we will have the "Orange Stanley Cup Tour" from 5th to 7th August in Trenčín.

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Due to the SC Tour, the Golden Puck awards ceremony will take place a week earlier than usually, on the 31st of July. Today the candidates for the awards as well as the Slovak Extraleague All-stars team were announced:

Player of the year
Pavol Demitra, Vancouver Canucks
Marián Gáborík, New York Rangers
Jaroslav Halák, Montreal Canadiens
Marián Hossa, Chicago Blackhawks
Zdeno Chára, Boston Bruins

Best female hockey player
Jana Kapustová, Tornado Moscow Region
Iveta Karafiátová, Linkoping
Zuzana Tomčíková, Bemidji State University

Best junior player
Richard Pánik, Belleville Bulls
Tomáš Tatar, Grand Rapids Griffins
Marek Viedenský, Saskatoon Blades

Best goaltender
Peter Budaj, Colorado Avalanche
Jaroslav Halák, Montreal Canadiens
Július Hudáček, HC Košice

Best deffenseman
Zdeno Chára, Boston Bruins
Ľubomír Višňovský, Anaheim Ducks
Andrej Sekera, Buffalo Sabres

Best forward
Pavol Demitra, Vancouver Canucks
Marián Hossa, Chicago Blackhawks
Marián Gáborík, New York Rangers

Best coach
Ján Filc, Slovak national team
Július Šupler, Dinamo Riga
Peter Oremus, HK Nitra

Best referee
Vladimír Baluška
Milan Novák
Peter Ország

Slovnaft Extraliga All-stars Team
Július Hudáček, HC Košice
Peter Fruhauf, HC 05 Banská Bystrica; Peter Mikuš, HC Košice
Rudolf Huna, HC Košice; Žigmund Pálffy, HK 36 Skalica; Ján Pardavý, HC 05 Banská Bystrica

Previous winners
Best Slovak Hockey Player
1994 Oto Haščák
1995 Peter Šťastný
1996 Jaromír Dragan
1997 Zdeno Cíger
Golden Puck Winners
1998 Peter Bondra
1999 Pavol Demitra
2000 Miroslav Šatan
2001 Miroslav Šatan
2002 Peter Bondra
2003 Peter Bondra
2004 Miroslav Šatan
2005 Ľubomír Višňovský
2006 Marián Hossa
2007 Marián Hossa
2008 Marián Hossa
2009 Zdeno Chára

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Marian Hossa becomes the first four time golden puck award winner (2006, 2007, 2008, 2010). Miro Satan and Peter Bondra are both three time winners.

"The trophy pleases me very much. I wasn't expecting to become player of the year for the fourth time. I wish to thank above all my wife. The last three seasons my teams have gone very far, and she has always stood by me. The award this year certainly belongs to Jaro Halak who had a fantastic season. Likewise Marian Gaborik. It is so difficult playing against the other nominee Zdeno Chara. It is too bad that Pavol Demitra got injured because he would certainly repeat his great performance from the Olympic tournament,", said Hossa.

P4334d1e1_hossa2.jpg

Golden Puck Award Winners:

Player of the Year: Marian Hossa (runner-up Jaroslav Halak)

U20 Player of the Year: Richard Panik (runner-up Tomas Tatar)

Goalie of the Year: Jaro Halak (runner-up Julius Hudacek)

Defenseman of the Year: Zdeno Chara (runner-up Lubomir Visnovsky)

Best Forward: Marian Gaborik (runner-up Marian Hossa)

Coach of the Year: Jan Filc (runner-up Julius Supler)

Top Official: Vladimir Baluska (runner-up Peter Orszag)

Extraliga All Star Team:

Goalie: Július Hudáček (HC Košice)
Defenseman: Peter Frühauf (HC 05 Banská Bystrica), Peter Mikuš (HC Košice)
Forwards: Rudolf Huna (HC Košice), Žigmund Pálffy (HK 36 Skalica), Ján Pardavý (HC 05 Banská Bystrica)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Wow, looked like a good time.

Was this broadcasted on Slovak TV anywhere?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Wow, looked like a good time.

Was this broadcasted on Slovak TV anywhere?

Nope. But they will show an 1 hour recap next week together with the Stanley Cup tour.

Peronsally I´m glad that STV3 prefered a game of junior handball EC played in SVK over a garden party tbh. That´s what their job should be and they should do it more often, like for example the Ivan Hlinka Memorial.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: