Slovakia: The Slovak Hockey Transactions and News Thread

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Confirmed transactions outside and out of Slovakia
D Branislav Mezei from Blues (FIN) to HC Pardubice (CZE)
F Roman Kukumberg from Ak Bars Kazaň (KHL) to ?
F Roman Tomas from HC Třínec (CZE) to HC Vítkovice (CZE)
F Peter Sejna from ZSC Lions (NLA) to Davos (NLA)
F Juraj Kolník from Servette Genenve (NLA) to OHK Dynamo Moskva (KHL)
D Peter Mikuš from HC Košice (SVK) to Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk (KHL)
F Milan Bartovič from HC Liberec (CZE) to HK Atlant (KHL)
D Martin Štrbák from HC MVD (KHL) to OHK Dynamo Moskva (KHL)
F Tomáš Bulík from HC 05 Banská Bystrica (SVK) to Budivelnyk Kyiv (KHL)
D Dominik Graňák from Rogle (SWE) to OHK Dynamo Moskva (KHL)
F Jozef Stumpel from Barys Astana (KHL) to Dinamo Minsk (KHL)
F Marcel Hossa from Dinamo Riga to Ak Bars Kazaň (KHL)
F Marek Bartánus from HK 32 Liptovský Mikuláš (SVK) to Sparta Praha (CZE)
D Tomáš Frolo from Mladá Boleslav (CZE to HC Plzeň (CZE)
F Tibor Radulay from Dukla Trenčín to KHL Chomutov (CZE-1)

Rumoured transactions outside and out of Slovakia

F Žigmund Pálffy from HK 36 Skalica (SVK) to KHL
D Michal Sersen from Slovan bratislava (SVK) to KHL
F Rudolf Huna from HC Košice (SVK) to KHL
F Vladimír Dravecký from HC Košice (SVK) to ?
F Martin Hujsa from HC Slovan Bratislava (SVK) to HC Litvínov (CZE)
D Martin Marinčin from HC KoÅ¡ice to CHL
F Marek Tvrdoň from HC Nitra to CHL
F Martin Bartek to HKM Zvolen

Confirmed transactions to and in Slovakia:
F Martin Kriška from MHK 32 Liptovský Mikuláš to HC Košice
F Dušan Pašek from HK 36 Skalica to HC Košice
F Marcel HaÅ¡čák from HK Poprad to HC KoÅ¡ice
F Tomáš Hričina from Regina Pats (WHL) to HC KoÅ¡ice
G Roman Kuráli from HK Spišská Nová Ves to HKM Zvolen
D Jan Hranáč from HK 36 Skalica to HKM Zvolen
D Marek Ďaloga from Hk SpiÅ¡ská Nová Ves to HKM Zvolen
D Lubomír Vosátko to HKM Zvolen
F Vladimír Škoda from MShk Žilina to HKM Zvolen
F Matúš Leskovjanský from HK Spišská Nová Ves to HKM Zvolen
D Å tefan Fabian from HK Poprad to HC Nitra
G Vlastimil Lakosil from HC Nitra to HK 36 Skalica
D Pavel Kumstát from MHK 32 Liptovský Mikuláš to HK 36 Skalica
F Juraj Prokop from HK Spišská Nová Ves to HK 36 Skalica
G Marek Laco from HC Nitra to HC Nitra to Mshk Žilina
F Peter Klouda from HK Poprad Mshk Žilina
F Jan Kopecký to Mshk Žilina
F Richard Smotrila from Hk Spišská Nová Ves
F Ján Pardavý from HC Banská Bystrica to Dukla Trenčín
F Petr Vala from Mshk Žilina to Dukla Trenčín
D Peter Fruhauf from HC Banská Bystrica
D Dávid Turoň from MShk Žilina to Dukla Trenčín
D Juraj Cebák from HKM Zvolen to HC Banská Bystrica
F Adam Bezák from Slovan Bratislava to HC Banská Bystrica
F Richard Kapuš from Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk (KHL to Slovan Bratislava
D Maris Jass from HC Nitra to HK 36 Skalica
D Jakob Milovanovic from Grenoble (FRA) to Mshk Žilina
F Ondrej Mikula from MHK 32 Liptovský Mikuláš to MHC Martin
F Stanislav LaÅ¡ček from Riviére du Loup (LNAH) to MHC Martin
F Dávid Buc from HK Poprad to HC Košice
G Miroslav Å imonovič from HK Poprad to HC Banská Bystrica
F Richard Šechný from HK Poprad to HC Banská Bystrica

Contract extensions:
G Peter Budaj- Colorado Avalanche (NHL) - one year
F Miroslav Kováčik- HC Nitra
F Andrej Nedorost- HC Slovan Bratislava- 1 year
F Jakub GaÅ¡parovič- Dukla Trenčín- 3 years
F Ján Lipiansky- Slovan Bratislava- 1 year
D Ivan Majeský- Skelleftea
F Lukáš Hvila- HC Plzeň- 1 year

Feel free to discuss here information that you don´t consider threadworthy or which doesn´t belong into the big threads (SVK NT, youth hockey...), whether it is about the Slovak Extraliga, the transactions of Slovak players, Slovak players in the foreign leagues or arena reconstruction/development or just general Slovak hockey news.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
HK Poprad to fold?

It seems that Poprad have found themselves in almost the same situation as a year ago without the general sponsor again. Before the 09/10 season they were saved in the end, however this time around the situation seems to be even worse as last year they held most of their players together while this time around a bi exodus of players from Poprad has already begun and will most probably only continue.

Nothing to worry about at the youth level hockey in Poprad though as a year ago the youth and men´s hockey were separated into two clubs and the "Hokejový klub mládeže Poprad" was created, which is supported by the town of Poprad and has a sponsor who provides them with equipment and stuff and they were even able to heighten the number of players in the youngest categories.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I guess it's final that Marcel Hossa to AK Bars.

Can we discuss Slovak players in North American pro leagues here? I really keep up with those players most and since it seems like every year the number keeps getting smaller, every player counts.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I´m not sure whether it´s absolutely final, but I consider it confirmed for now.

Yep, you can discuss pretty much anything you want here. ;)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Congrats to (FINALLY) Hossa and Kopecký. Seeing him skate around with it was great.

3rd straight year a Slovak has won the Cup. :)

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
tumblr_l3s81pzwiQ1qc93bio1_400.jpg

I echo the congrats to Hossa and Kopecky. I think this one feels better than the Bicek, Cibak, and first Kopecky cup, [Satan was special for me cause he is from near TO], but the two winners this year were not Stanley Cup passengers. They were two first liners. Hossa is Hossa....he is a monster, one of the best hockey players in the world. I've long been a supporter of Kopecky. I am very happy for them both.

Last edited:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Now that the 2009-10 season is in the history books, I think it was a very memorable year for Slovak hockey. A season that won't soon be forgotten:

1. The 2010 Olympics. That was so much fun. Wins over Latvia, Russia, and then Norway and Sweden in the knock-out stages. Demitra stopped by Roberto Luongo in the dying moments in the SF versus Canada. These players made a great name for Slovak hockey, I was very proud.

2. Hossa + Kopecky win the Stanley Cup.

3. Jaroslav Halak and his amazing playoff run with the Montreal Canadiens.

4. Great individual playoff performances from Miro Satan and Michal Handzus.

5. Rising stars at the World Championships. A disappointing performance but who cares? It was an Olympic year and what matters was that two of the best players on the team were teenagers.

I think next year will be just as exciting! SVK hosts the World Championships! Will Marian Gaborik score 50? Will Jaro Halak stay in Montreal? Riso Panik & Tomas Jurco together at the World Juniors. Marek Tvrdon with a chance to dominate the U18s. Year two for Tomas Tatar in the AHL. Another year of development for the very promising 1995 crop. Should be great. :)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Hossa is Hossa....he is a monster, one of the best hockey players in the world.

The general consensus now is that Hossa is the best 2way winger in hockey now.

Agreed.

Also, nice hair.

scan0009.jpg
[/IMG]

omghossa.gif

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Congrats to Majo and Tomáš! :handclap: Especially to Marián, I´m sure he is very relieved among other things that he is not jinxed after all. The question is, is Ville Leino though?

My 09/10 Slovak hockey tops of the season:
1. Beating Sweden at the Olympics quarterfinal, amongst other things it was also great to back at them this way for what happened in Torino.
2. Jaro Halák´s 09/10 play-offs performance
3. Hossa+ Kopecký win the SC (I know should be harder, but I just love Jaro too much)
4. Slovak federation names Glen Hanlon the coach of the Slovak NT
5. Miro Å atan in the NHL play-offs

My 09/10 flops of the season
1. The NT blows away a two goal lead in a medal game at the Olympics (!) - this is not only the flop of the year, but of the decade- only the loss to the Czechs in the qurters in Torino 06 can compare with that
2. Worst period ever for Slovak NT in a 6-0 loss to Denmark and overall performances after the group stage at the IHWC, those players know to play better and all those lies about a "young" team, 7 players 25 years and younger don´t mean a young team
3. Halák and the Habs get beaten by the Flyers in the coference finas, really really don´t like the Flyers
4. Juraj Å iroký still is the president of SZĽH and whole building of the arena for the 2011 IHWC in Bratislava and his (i)llegal hotel next to it

Lookin forward to in 2010/2011 season:
1. IHWC in Slovakia

2. the 2011 NHL Draft
3. the elections to SZĽH and hoping that it finally ends up well
4. to see whether "we" can get the Cup for the 4th straight years
5. a whole year with Glen Hanlon and the ideas he promised he´d bring

Last edited:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
54296966.jpg

4697467796_01814f70ba_b.jpg

tumblr_l3zdqhlWxs1qzugduo1_500.jpg

[Top] Tomas wearing his Red Wings ring at the Chicago ticker tape parade (apparently attended by 2 million fans) [middle] The two of them partying with the cup [bottom] Maros putting the ball for the ceremonial first pitch at Wrigley Field into the cup.

Last edited:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
On Monday evening at 7:30 pm in western Slovakia, Pavol Demitra was involved in a car accident. It is suspected that at fault was the 19 year-old driver of the Fiat Punto that ignored a yield sign, cut out in front and was smashed into by Demitra's Aston Martin. Demitra was not injured and the Fiat driver escaped with light injuries. Neither driver had alcohol in their system.

Demitra was said to be moving at a good speed and after the collision his car traveled tens of metres. Demitra immediately got out of his car and ran to help the driver of the Fiat. Strangely enough the accident occurred just several hours after the Aston Martin arrived from Vancouver. The value of Demitra's car is approximately 300 000 Euro, and it did suffer some damage on the front right side. -Just as an aside, imagine the cost and effort involved in sending your car from Vancouver to central Europe!

"I'm still a bit shaken up. The accident happened in the late evening in Nova Dubnica. Luckily nobody was injured, that is what is most important. Just yesterday my car arrived from overseas and I went to take it for a drive. I was on the main road and the other driver emerged from a side street. Right after the collision we both took breathalyzer tests and passed", said Demitra in his interview with Plus 7 Days.

2161320.jpg

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Ouch.
2161213.jpg

Why would you want to bring such a car to the Slovak excuses of roads?

Anyway, all the reports about the carsh are "cucumber season" a its best.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
So, I thought maybe this thread wouldn´t mind some actua hockey info. I think it could be interesting to track the performances of Slovak teams against the foreign teams during the pre-season, so I created kind of a shedule of all international games and tournaments with Slovak teams:

30.07. HC Vítkovice/CZE- HC K-CERO Nitra
30.07. HC Olomouc/CZE-1- HK 36 Skalica
02.08. MHC Martin- France U23
03.08. PSG Zlín/CZE- HK 36 Skalica
04.08. HC Slovan Bratislava- Kometa Brno/CZE
05.08. HK 36 Skalica- France U23
05.08. Dukla Trenčín- Metalurg Zhlobin/BLR
10.08. MHC Martin- Metalurg Zhlobin/BLR
11.08. Ambri Piotta/NLA- HC Košice
12.08. HKM Zvolen- Metalurg Zhlobin/BLR
12.08. Lokomotiv Yaroslavl/KHL- HC Košice
12.08. Kometa Brno/CZE- HC Slovan Bratislava
13.08. Lokomotiv Yaroslavl/KHL- HC Košice
17.08. EHC Biel/NLA- HC K-CERO Nitra
18.08. HC La Chaux de Fonds/NLB- HC K-CERO Nitra
19.08. HK 36 Skalica- Dukla Jihlava/CZE-1
19.08. Graz 99ers/EBEL- HC Košice
20.08. Vienna Capitals/EBEL- HC Košice
24.08. HK 36 Skalica- HC Dukla Jihlava/CZE-1
24.08. Chaux de Fonds/NLB- HKM Zvolen
24.08. SC Langnau/NLA- HC 05 Banská Bystrica
25.08. EHC Biel/NLA- HC 05 Banská Bystrica
26.08. HC Slovan Bratislava- PSG Zlín/CZE
26.08. HK 36 Skalica- HC Olomouc/CZE-1
26.08. Dukla Trenčín- EC Graz 99ers/EBEL
27.08. Rapperswill/NLA- HC 05 Banská Bystrica
28.08. HC Lugano/NLA- HC 05 Banská Bystrica
31.08. PSG Zlín/CZE- HC Slovan Bratislava
31.08. HK 36 Skalica- Vienna Capitals/EBEL
02.09. HC Slovan Bratislava- HC Olomouc/CZE-1
02.09. HK 36 Skalica- Oceláři Třínec/CZE

Foreign tournaments with Slovak teams
Wurmberg Cup 2010, August 20th-22nd
Teams: HKM Zvolen, Hamburg Freezers/DEL, Hannover Indians/DEL, EHC Black Wings Linz/EBEL

Coupe des Bains 2010 , August 25th-28th

Group 1: HKM Zvolen, HC Lausanne/NLB, Servette Geneve/NLA
Group 2: HC Fribourg/NLA, Ambri Piotta/NLA, SWE/RUS team

Basel Tournament, August 18th-22nd

19.08. HC Slovan Bratislava- Barys Astana/KHL
20.08. HC Slovan Bratislava- EHC Basel/NLB
21.08. HC Slovan Bratislava- ?

Tournament in Switzerland

20.08. HC K-CERO Nitra- Ambri Piotta/NLA
21.08. Liberec(CZE)/Fribourg(NLA)- HC K-CERO Nitra

Home Tournaments with Foreign teams

Cassovia Hockey Cup in Košice, August 24th-26th
Teams: HC KoÅ¡ice, HK Å KP Poprad, CSKA Moscow/KHL, HC Vítkovice/CZE, HC oceláři Třínec/CZE, Hradec Králové (?)

Zábojníkov memoriál in Zvolen, August 5th-7th

Teams: HKM Zvolen, MHC Martin, HC K-CERO Nitra, Poland National Team, Sokol Kyiv/UKR, Orenburg/RUS-1

Rona Cup in Trenčín, 12th-14th August
Teams: Dukla Trenčín, Mshk Garmin Žilina, HC K-CERO Nitra, PSG Zlín/CZE, Oceláři Třínec/CZE

The increased numbers of games between Slovak and Swiss teams are really an improvment and it´s nice to see that we don´t have just one team (Slovan) capable of getting some really good pre-season shedule, but 5 (Slovan, Košice, Zvolen, Nitra, BB). But yeah, considering that in recent seasons some Slovak teams have been playing Polish league teams, I suppose even playing against EBEL teams is an improvment.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
What year is that stretcher from? 1948? :laugh:

lol, it does look like they found that stretcher in a museum doesn't it?

Anyhow I was surprised to see how far my translation traveled. Saw it all over the place, including on the nhl.com website and twitter. If I would have known people would care, I would have put more effort into it, and not put in my own comments.:) Reminds me of when I translated an interview with Tomas Tatar after the combine in which a team asked him if he was gay. :)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Anyhow I was surprised to see how far my translation traveled. Saw it all over the place, including on the nhl.com website and twitter. If I would have known people would care, I would have put more effort into it, and not put in my own comments.:) Reminds me of when I translated an interview with Tomas Tatar after the combine in which a team asked him if he was gay. :)

I posted it on the internet's largest automobile forum. Alot of news sources grab things from there so I guess it made rounds pretty fast

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The Slovak hockey federation gave out awards today for the leagues it organizes, which only means 1.liga žien (women´s league), 1.liga (2nd men´s league), U20 Extraliga, U18 Extraliga. Men´s Extraliga is organized by Pro Hokej, while the lower leagues at men´s, junior, U18 level and the ŠHT leagues for U12,U14 and U16 kids are organized by Western, Central and Eastern Slovakian federations.

1st women league All Stars:
Goalie: Jana Budajová (HK Poprad)
Deffense: Barbora Kežmarsá (HC Spišská Nová Ves), Nikola Balášová (HC Spišská Nová Ves)
Forwards: Mária Heichová (HK Poprad), Petra Pavlovičová (MHKž Martin), Janka Čulíková (HC SpiÅ¡ská Nová Ves)

Karol Fako award (U18 Extraliga regular season top scorer)
Martin Jakúbek (Dukla Trenčín)

Dušan Pašek award (U20 Exrealiga regular season top goal scorer)
Tomáš Sýkora (HC 05 Banská Bystrica)

1.liga Top players
Best goalie: Marek Å imko (HK Trnava)
Deffense: Branislav Kubka (HK Brezno)
Forward: Štefan Majerník (HC 46 Bardejov)

Fair Play Award- Michal Polóni Award
Miroslav Å atan for longstanding attitude towards the national team

"Literally a few hours after the elimination of his team Boston Bruins from the NHL play-offs, Miro boarded a plane and came to play for his country at the WC in Germany, despite knowing that he might only play two games... He didn´t mind the exhaustion from the hard Olympic season or the frustration from the elimination from the fights for the biggest club trophy in the world- he just came to play for his country!

The longstanding national team player is an example for all younger players in attitude towards representing his country. If health and the NHL status allowd him he always came to play for Slovakia- since 1994 he played in the jersey with the doublecross on the chest at four Olympics, 10 World Championships (B and C World Championships included) as well as two World Cups. As a captain he lead Slovakia to all it´s medals at the men´s level. With 71 goals he also is historically Slovakia´s best goal scorer since gaining idepedence, while his 131 national team starts put him behind only 5 players, who have played more NT games for Slovakia."

This also has some interesting info. Acc. to SZĽH there currently are 80 hockey clubs in Slovakia, 9 of whom had their membership pending in SZĽH until this point. More interestingly it also says that between May 1st 2009 and April 30th 2010 there were 852 new members registered with the federation. This number however might not be finals as not all teams have sent registrations for their new players yet. It´s nice to hear, but I think without knowing how many members on the other hand quit, it does not say too much. I suppose I´ll have to wait for the 2010 IIHF Survey of Players to get some real number of registered players.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00