Slovakia: The Slovak Hockey Transactions and News Thread

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Miroslav Satan notched his second hatrick in three games with Slovan Bratislava. He is 6+1 in three games this year in the Extraliga. Not only did he score three in his last game versus Zilina, none of them were cheap. Interesting to draw comparisons with Zigmund Palffy's tenure with Skalica. There are of course differences, Palffy played for Skalica after taking a long break from hockey. On the other hand, Miro seems to give more dedication to the sport, and does more with less talent. Just my opinion.

Im courious, where will he land this year... Hope it will be soon, not like last year...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Halak%20stop%20sign.jpg

First shut out for Jaro as a Blues last night against the Pens.

6 games, 4W,1L,1OT, 144 saves, 1,81GAA and 92,9%. 3rd in starts, 7th in GAA, 8th in svs % and 3rd in SOs.

Nice to see him continuing his greta play from last year. :yo::handclap:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It is interesting how much international press the Bulik story continues to get. Saw it on the front of the sports page of a Canadian paper just today.

Well, I´d say that the NA media will make a big deal out of every dirt they can get on the KHL. Just like it is with the Russian media and the NHL.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Apparently Ján Lašák has signed with Jokerit Helsinki of the SM-liiga- it seems to me that in this season it makes the highest number of Slovaks in the Finnish Elite League. The best of them currently undoubtely he still 22 year old Tomáš Záborský with 11 points in 8 games.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I believe tonight was the first time ever that 2 Slovak goaltenders have faced each other during a whole game in the NHL.

Jaro and Peter faced each other tonight with Peter coming out on top in 5-2 win.

106896551.jpg

106900380.jpg

Wish I could find a picture of them together.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I believe tonight was the first time ever that 2 Slovak goaltenders have faced each other during a whole game in the NHL.

Jaro and Peter faced each other tonight with Peter coming out on top in 5-2 win.

106896551.jpg

106900380.jpg

Wish I could find a picture of them together.

Nope, I think this is the 2nd time. They already faced each other last season prior to the Olympics, I remember that Ján Filc was actually there scouting the players for the OG at that time and there was talk that it happened the first time ine history.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Nope, I think this is the 2nd time. They already faced each other last season prior to the Olympics, I remember that Ján Filc was actually there scouting the players for the OG at that time and there was talk that it happened the first time ine history.

Ah.

Well it's good that it happened again.

Speaking of Colorado, I found this cool article about Paul Å ťastný talking about his family and his international team.

Obviously my home is always going to be in the United States. But we speak Slovakian at home. That's where all my blood is. All the family bloodlines go through Slovakia."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...team.usa.nationality/index.html#ixzz15W5iEtz5

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

No, it is a first time.

Last season played Montreal and Colorado one time (15.10.2009), but in the net of Avalanche was Craig Andersson and in the Canadiens net was Price.

Interesting fact is, that Andrej Sekera score already 3 goals in the Halaks net.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
No, it is a first time.

Last season played Montreal and Colorado one time (15.10.2009), but in the net of Avalanche was Craig Andersson and in the Canadiens net was Price.

Interesting fact is, that Andrej Sekera score already 3 goals in the Halaks net.

No. They DID PLAY against each other before. I can prove it,HERE

socktape

Jun 3, 2010
Im courious, where will he land this year... Hope it will be soon, not like last year...

He just signed with Slovan again, as in two hours before today's game. He is playing with them right now against Zvolen! I was hoping he'd sign somewhere in the NHL again, but I'm happy he's playing somewhere. I hope between himself and Zdeno Ciger as coach they can get Slovan turned around.

I don't speak Slovak, just getting this through bad Google translations. I try to follow the games at HokejPortal, they have live updates.

I can't quite tell, but it might just be a 6 game contract?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
He just signed with Slovan again, as in two hours before today's game. He is playing with them right now against Zvolen! I was hoping he'd sign somewhere in the NHL again, but I'm happy he's playing somewhere. I hope between himself and Zdeno Ciger as coach they can get Slovan turned around.

I don't speak Slovak, just getting this through bad Google translations. I try to follow the games at HokejPortal, they have live updates.

I can't quite tell, but it might just be a 6 game contract?

if im correct, he cannot play this season in NHL. because of this last contract with Slovan... So i see it more and more for KHL...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Ladislav Troják has been inducted into the IIHF Hall of Fame:

Ladislav Trojak (SVK)

Ladislav_Trojak.jpg

Born: June 15, 1914 in Kosice, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (Slovakia)
Died: November 8, 1948 in the English Channel (France / Great Britain)

Ladislav Trojak was the first Slovak ice hockey player to represent Czechoslovakia internationally, and he became the first Slovak to win an IIHF World Championship gold medal while representing Czechoslovakia, this at the 1947 World event in Prague. With this, Trojak became an inspiration for all Slovak athletes who dreamt about competing on the world stage.

Prior to the 1947 success, the first time Czechoslovakia won gold in ice hockey, Trojak was a five-time Czechoslovak champion with the powerhouse LTC Prague team to which he transferred in 1934 after leaving his maternal club CsCK Kosice.

A forward with great skating ability and defensive prowess, Trojak was first selected to the national team for the 1936 Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Additionally, he was selected for the five following IIHF World Championships, including the 1948 Olympics in St. Moritz, Switzerland where Czechoslovakia lost the gold medal to Canada on goal ratio.

Trojak scored 17 goals in 32 World Championship games, and he added five more in 16 Olympic games. In total, Trojak represented his country on 75 occasions, a truly impressive number in an era when national team games were rare.

Czechoslovakia’s final game at the 1948 Olympics – a 4-3 win over the United States – would be Trojak’s last championship game for the national team. On November 8 the same year, Ladislav Trojak perished in an airplane crash over the English Channel along with five other members of the Czechoslovak team.

Trojak was inducted to the Slovak Hockey Hall of Fame in 2002 and his sweater number 9 has been retired and hangs in the rafters of the 2011 IIHF World Championship venue in his home town Kosice. The arena that opened in 2006 is named in honour of Ladislav Trojak.

LINK

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Looks like Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk put Marek Zagrapan out of his misery. Marek has been a big disappointment for me in the KHL and in his national team appearances. I don't know what his future holds. Perhaps we'll see him in the extraliga, maybe even in Kosice. :)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Looks like Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk put Marek Zagrapan out of his misery. Marek has been a big disappointment for me in the KHL and in his national team appearances. I don't know what his future holds. Perhaps we'll see him in the extraliga, maybe even in Kosice. :)

Don´t think Košice have any room for him.

Another news from the Slovak hockey grotesque, Šatan signs with Slovan again until Christmas- i.e. two games. It´s kinda getting annoying, how many times is he gonna do that?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
And just like that, Svatos signs with St. Louis.

Jaro must have an extra bedroom. :laugh:

But I hope he does well, I want to see him stay in the NHL.

Edit: Nashville claims him. Amazing.

Last edited:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
As you've probably read by now, Tomas Tatar made his NHL debut. He wore number 21 with the Red Wings and scored on his very first shot. :) His goal celebration was great. I liked what Hall of Famer Larry Murphy said on the Tatar goal: "you can't go on to get 500 if you don't score that first one".

Finally some good news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad