The Runner's Thread

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Ran a mile in 6:50 today which I'm honestly shocked about. I know it isn't that great, but like I said I haven't run in about three years, and to get a time like that before took months of training. I went from a mile in 11 minutes last Monday with having to stop to walk three times, to a mile in under 7 all running.

I'm excited to see how much I can keep improving and eventually run longer distances

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Today I realized how much my cardio sucks. I used to run about 5k three times a week in addition to lifting. I took the running portion more seriously than lifting, so I was routinely breaking 26 minutes (not great for a lot of people, but I didn't start to get into shape until the end of college, so I was happy with it). In the last few years though, I've focused on lifting more and started running less until eventually I was combining cardio on the elliptical with core days. But for Father's Day, my brother decided to sign up himself, my dad, mom, and sister for a 5k in September, so I've been "training" for that. And yeah, I'm hovering around 30 minutes right now after 3-4 sessions.

So my question is, what's the best way to improve my pace? I know of C25k, but the running for extended periods of time isn't my problem, it's pushing myself a little harder. Also, I typically go around 5:30-6am, so what should good nutrition the night before/morning of look like? I feel like an apple and coffee as I do for lifting isn't enough or appropriate.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm feeling a bit nervous... I started my half marathon training last week, using the same program I did before (3-4 short runs, 1 long run per week). Last time I barely even followed the program, skipping many runs and taking many weeks off and I finished the half no problem.

This time, I have been doing short 3-4 mile runs and I am having difficulty with them. I don't know if it's the heat or what... I don't even know how I got so out of shape, I ran my half at the end of April which wasn't even that long ago!

I have been finding 3-4 mile runs hard, I don't know how I'll be able to handle 13 miles... Man what happened to me??

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I got all of 500m in today. Been off from running for a couple of weeks, and I still have crud in my lungs from the cold I had this past weekend. Can't run 100m without stopping to cough up stuff.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Can't believe I have been on this site for so many years and have never seen this thread!!

I did a half marathon race a few years ago (2:09) and have been training for a full marathon the past three summers but always burn myself out at the 22K mark. I was told to slow down my pace so I am doing 1:1 and still have my first 20K around 6:30/K.

"Just finish" is my motto this year and I am only doing my long run, a short run and two speed walks every week...

Age - 45
What I Run - finished a half marathon looking to just finish a full marathon
How Often - 4 x week (long run, short run, 2 x speed walks)
PRs - 2:09 for 21K
Why I Run - Because everybody told me I couldn't finish a full marathon

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have been struggling lately and it's been really frustrating. I feel like 5-6km is a struggle, when I used to be able to run that without breaking a sweat. My knees hurt the next day and near the end of the run I start to have trouble.

One thing I noticed is that for the entire duration of my runs, I am hovering around 95-110% of my max HR (around 190 bpm). I have always had a fast heart beat, and I don't feel especially winded during my run (usually only around the end, where I run up a hill). But I never monitored my HR until recently, and I never felt the way I do last time I was training for a half.

I've been told, and read a lot about training at "low" HRs and the benefits of building a strong aerobic base.

So yesterday I made a big effort to keep my HR around 160-170 bpm, and slowed down any time it exceeded that.

It was so incredibly frustratingly slow. I think I could have walked faster. It took me almost an hour to run 7.5 km when I honestly usually do that within 38 minutes. I felt like a fool shuffling around out there.

BUT, I barely broke a sweat. I could run at that pace literally forever, it was no effort at all. At that speed, I could easily run the entire time having a conversation with someone.

So in a sense, I see the difference and I realize that running a half at 190 bpm is not sustainable. I'm going to keep trying to keep my HR in the 160-170 range and continue my training like that.

I know it should be lower (145 bpm) but any slower than I was going and I'd be walking.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I have been struggling lately and it's been really frustrating. I feel like 5-6km is a struggle, when I used to be able to run that without breaking a sweat. My knees hurt the next day and near the end of the run I start to have trouble.

One thing I noticed is that for the entire duration of my runs, I am hovering around 95-110% of my max HR (around 190 bpm). I have always had a fast heart beat, and I don't feel especially winded during my run (usually only around the end, where I run up a hill). But I never monitored my HR until recently, and I never felt the way I do last time I was training for a half.

I've been told, and read a lot about training at "low" HRs and the benefits of building a strong aerobic base.

So yesterday I made a big effort to keep my HR around 160-170 bpm, and slowed down any time it exceeded that.

It was so incredibly frustratingly slow. I think I could have walked faster. It took me almost an hour to run 7.5 km when I honestly usually do that within 38 minutes. I felt like a fool shuffling around out there.

BUT, I barely broke a sweat. I could run at that pace literally forever, it was no effort at all. At that speed, I could easily run the entire time having a conversation with someone.

So in a sense, I see the difference and I realize that running a half at 190 bpm is not sustainable. I'm going to keep trying to keep my HR in the 160-170 range and continue my training like that.

I know it should be lower (145 bpm) but any slower than I was going and I'd be walking.

Fancy meeting you here!

Have you tried adding speed intervals? Keep your slow pace, but every few minutes increase your speed for 15-30 seconds, then slow down again. It'll speed up your overall time while still allowing you to keep your HR mostly lower. It might also keep you from becoming frikkin bored.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Ran my first sub-25 5K yesterday, I've been running for the last month after taking a five year hiatus.

I run every day, one day a 5k time, and the next I run an increased pace 15 min, 12 min uphill jog and a 3 min sprint.

Trying to get the distance going now, but not looking forward to it.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
when ever i run my lower right abdomen hurts and my right trap hurts. this happens everytime I try to increase the speed. my breathing is fine but I get cramps constantly.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
when ever i run my lower right abdomen hurts and my right trap hurts. this happens everytime I try to increase the speed. my breathing is fine but I get cramps constantly.

The lower right abdomen is normally breathing related, I find varying my breathing helps quite a bit. I would recommend deep breathing and trying to include your stomach in your breathing, this doesn't really make sense to read, but you get the idea.

How long have you been running regularly for?

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
The lower right abdomen is normally breathing related, I find varying my breathing helps quite a bit. I would recommend deep breathing and trying to include your stomach in your breathing, this doesn't really make sense to read, but you get the idea.

How long have you been running regularly for?

been on and off for like 2 years. can hit 10k at 1km per6minutes

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
2 miles in <18 minutes today after working 15 hours yesterday and not feeling that great this morning. I'll take it. It's the third mile that's killed me lately, but I still feel like I should have easily finished 5k in 28:something which would be a solid improvement from Wednesday (only reason I didn't continue on is because I was in a time crunch). I've still got a ways to go, however, to reach my target goal of <26 before this 5k next month. At least that course won't have as many hills.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Fancy meeting you here!

Have you tried adding speed intervals? Keep your slow pace, but every few minutes increase your speed for 15-30 seconds, then slow down again. It'll speed up your overall time while still allowing you to keep your HR mostly lower. It might also keep you from becoming frikkin bored.

I have just been trying to run at slower speeds, keeping my HR around 170 which I've found I am able to maintain for a long time. I finished 10km in 1 hour which is ok, not great but I am certain I can finish a half marathon at this pace fairly easily. I am just going to keep this up till the race in September and hopefully 3-5 runs a week like this will allow me to improve a bit.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
I can do a 10k at exactly 6:00mins a kilometer. so i can do a 10k in an hour. could I be capable of getting a respectable time in a half marathon

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ stopwatch and a marked course. There are many apps out there that will track it for you though (Nike+ Running, Runkeeper, Map My Run, etc), I just personally dont need them because of where I run.

^^ depends what you feel is respectable. How gassed are you after the 10k? You're more than doubling your distance.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ran 6K Friday evening and 7K last night.

Gonna try and make at least 6K a daily thing.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Ran 6K Friday evening and 7K last night.

Gonna try and make at least 6K a daily thing.

Good job man, I've been running ~25min 5k and did a 6k yesterday.

Tried to impress a girl with saying I do 5k everyday, and she shot back why don't I do 6k, so I was compelled.

Jeez is that extra k a killer, had to stop for 20 seconds, and then kept going.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
There is a really nice nature trail that starts/ends just across the street from my house. I measured the distance using google maps...it is 3.5 km long, so I just run to the end and run back. Went to the gym last night to watch the Jays game, will try and get my run in tonight around 6 before the Jays start.

My favourite place that I have run recently is Quebec City. I went for the Memorial Cup and it was AMAZING! The weather was gorgeous...I was staying right in old Quebec (in a hotel that has probably been there about as long as the city...politicians used to stay in it...just called Dufferin Terrace Hotel), I must have run close to 20K over my two runs (including the giant steps, I think I remember counting like 800 steps or so, down and then back up). it is hard to stop when the sights are so beautiful (but I had to or I wouldn't have made it to the games).

Last edited:

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
was just wondering. ran a 5k in 26:01
looked on some websites and they say sub 24 is off the couch level.
i've been running for 1 year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad