The Runner's Thread

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It seems like most sources of exercise "advice" are really just thinly veiled attempts at bragging.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
Haven't ran 10 km since May of last year. Nonetheless, I am training for a 10km race in October and plan to do so in under 5 minutes per km.

This month will have some intense training. Bring it on!

How do you guys track your runs?

I upload my runs to Nike+. Was using the Nike+ GPS Sportwatch, but just got one of the new tomtom GPS watches which also syncs to Nike+.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Careful of increasing your training too fast, OilPen. Your body needs to adjust.

Having said that, I'm so not taking my own advice. I'm signed up for Copenhagen Half (Marathon) on Sunday. Had my first good run in 1½ months today. There have been other runs, but they sure as doodle haven't felt good.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Copenhagen Half succesfully completed. It rained all morning, then stopped 5 minutes before the race, and stayed dry until about the 19,5 k mark. Temps around 15 degrees. Pretty decent running weather, actually.

I set a time of 1:49:40, which is reasonable for me, and well within my desired time (2 hours). It's actually the 2nd fastest ½ I've ever done, but my PR is 1:43. A PR was not a possibility yesterday though.

I'll be running a lot this winter, if the weather allows it, to build a stronger run foundation. Next event is Berlin ½ on April 3rd.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Copenhagen Half succesfully completed. It rained all morning, then stopped 5 minutes before the race, and stayed dry until about the 19,5 k mark. Temps around 15 degrees. Pretty decent running weather, actually.

I set a time of 1:49:40, which is reasonable for me, and well within my desired time (2 hours). It's actually the 2nd fastest ½ I've ever done, but my PR is 1:43. A PR was not a possibility yesterday though.

I'll be running a lot this winter, if the weather allows it, to build a stronger run foundation. Next event is Berlin ½ on April 3rd.

Well done.

I'm hoping to be under 2:30 for my first Half in November.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I HATE running, but i need to run something fast for my job soon.

Right now I can go 5.6MPH on the treadmill for 15 minutes.

Need to do 1.5 Miles in 12 minutes. With that speed im only at about 1.5 miles in 16 minutes :cry:

Any tips?

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton

Need to do 1.5 Miles in 12 minutes. With that speed im only at about 1.5 miles in 16 minutes :cry:

Any tips?

What is soon?

Hills and Interval or Tempo runs will help. You will also gain a small bit of pace on your race day, just due to the aptmosphere, I'm assuming this is a race of some sort, like a corporate trialthalon or something?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Any tips?

Keep at it, eat clean, drink plenty of water. There aren't really any shortcuts though if that's what you're asking for, you get out of it what you put into it.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Ran the marathon relay at the North Face Endurance Challenge in Park City yesterday. 10k in. 81 minutes, 9 minutes faster than my PB on a flatter course at 680m ASL. Running at elevation is a *****. 2000m, at the bottom of the course.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have a footwear question.

I have been running to work and sometimes home from work for the past couple of months. I would like to keep running during the winter. I live in Edmonton, so it is cold and snowy.

I am fine for clothing etc. I am not sure what the best option is for footwear though.

Anyone do any winter running? What do you wear and recommend?

My apologies if this has been discussed before.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Hi everyone,

I have a footwear question.

I have been running to work and sometimes home from work for the past couple of months. I would like to keep running during the winter. I live in Edmonton, so it is cold and snowy.

I am fine for clothing etc. I am not sure what the best option is for footwear though.

Anyone do any winter running? What do you wear and recommend?

My apologies if this has been discussed before.

Trail running shoes will be good for snow, depending on where you are running yaktrax help for ice.

I have had good experiences with the folks at Fast Trax.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not a big runner but do it when I get too chunky and need to shed some pounds.

I want to train towards a 10k in the spring and do it under 50:00 without too much trouble. The best I did while taking it moderately seriously was a few years ago and I ran it in 50:13. This year I didn't train and did 56:12 while sucking wind and having to stop to walk.

What's the best way to go about training? Jog at a slower pace for a longer runs? Then slowly push the pace over time as my endurance builds? I think part of my problem is I don't feel like I'm doing much if I'm jogging slowly. So I go at about 5:00/km or a bit less and I'm dead tired after 20 minutes.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Did 14K yesterday no problem. Planning to run a half marathon by Spring (hell, might just run the 21K on my own anyway before then).

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I'm not a big runner but do it when I get too chunky and need to shed some pounds.

I want to train towards a 10k in the spring and do it under 50:00 without too much trouble. The best I did while taking it moderately seriously was a few years ago and I ran it in 50:13. This year I didn't train and did 56:12 while sucking wind and having to stop to walk.

What's the best way to go about training? Jog at a slower pace for a longer runs? Then slowly push the pace over time as my endurance builds? I think part of my problem is I don't feel like I'm doing much if I'm jogging slowly. So I go at about 5:00/km or a bit less and I'm dead tired after 20 minutes.

I see you're in Vancouver. MEC and Running room have clinics for race training.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->