The Runner's Thread

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Running my first 15k race on Sunday, hoping to be around or under 1:30. Then 6 weeks until I start my half marathon program.

I'm using a 12 week program, Hal Higdon, I think, was where i found it. What do other folks use?

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
So, at some point last year I posted that I'm going to do a relay marathon with 3 friends of mine. Distances are 16.1, 5.7, 9.5 and 10.something kilometres, I was doing the first distance. My aim was to come in at under 75 minutes. The run was back in April.

However, I had a bad case of Influenza late in February, was lying in bed for about 14 days. So, scratch the 75 minutes part. I only was able to run about 10 times between the illness and the marathon. And about two weeks prior to the event I ran 16k in about 1 hour 28 minutes. After that, a couple of sessions with about 8k, feeling better and better every time.

So on race day I feel like, yeah, if everything works out well I can do this in 1 hour 20 minutes. Then the start. Contrary to other events the Vienna City Marathon just can't handle blocked starts. And there's 40000 People starting to run at once.

So the first two kilometres are kind of like doing a slalom. And after 2k, I'm at around 13 minutes. Blergh. Then the route leads into a very broad alley in Vienna's biggest park and all of a sudden there is all this space. That's when I go bananas running wise, and at the 10k marker I come in at just under 50 minutes. So I'm starting to think - perfect! This is going to work out, I might even do it in about 78 minutes. I keep up the pace for the next 3k, coming in at well under 65 minutes after 13k.
And then the route narrows, from 3 lanes to two. A true bottleneck and I - along with probably a couple of 1000 other people am just standing there for a bit more than 2 minutes, then slowly walking for about another minute until I finally can start running again. I came in at 1:21:54. That's something I'd usually be really happy about. But boy, was I pissed.

So the point of this post is, beware of the Vienna City Marathon.

CzechYourself

Czech It!
Mar 31, 2013
Calgary, AB
Ran my first half marathon last month (2:03:03 :/) & am doing my second on Saturday.

Could barely run 5k at the beginning of spring but was able to complete both Tough Mudder & a half marathon in September.

Any training tips from the more seasoned veterans for a cold winter?

My goal is to finish off my weight loss (another 20-25lbs) and prep for 5/6 half marathons next year (with the goal of completing a full marathon in 2017).

I'd also like to train for a triathlon (or triathlon's I hope to say) so I will work towards that goal as well - specifically getting in the pool and becoming a better swimmer.

Cheers!

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
I just ran the 10K Rock n' Roll event in Vancouver over the weekend. It was my first timed running event for quite sometime. Finish time was 52:23. Beautiful run along the seawall.

My goal next year is to complete it in 45 minutes. Not sure if it is realistic or not to shave 7 minutes off, but I will try.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I just ran the 10K Rock n' Roll event in Vancouver over the weekend. It was my first timed running event for quite sometime. Finish time was 52:23. Beautiful run along the seawall.

My goal next year is to complete it in 45 minutes. Not sure if it is realistic or not to shave 7 minutes off, but I will try.

Way to go. It'll take a lot of work, but I'm sure knocking off 30 sec/km is possible in a year.

There are a few running clubs in Edmonton, group runs have certainly helped me increase my pace.

CzechYourself

Czech It!
Mar 31, 2013
Calgary, AB
Running my first 15k race on Sunday, hoping to be around or under 1:30. Then 6 weeks until I start my half marathon program.

I'm using a 12 week program, Hal Higdon, I think, was where i found it. What do other folks use?

Congrats on the sub 1:30 15k! Which half marathon(s) do you have picked out? That Hal Higdon training program looks great, may give it a try as I lack a true training schedule (newbie runner).

I did the "Spank the Panc" run for Pancreatic Cancer in Edmonton this past weekend in the river valley. Was a great course, hills through the first 5k were really tough though

Planning my race schedule for next year, so far have 4/5 half marathons picked out starting with the Hypothermic Half in Victoria in February.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Congrats on the sub 1:30 15k! Which half marathon(s) do you have picked out? That Hal Higdon training program looks great, may give it a try as I lack a true training schedule (newbie runner).

I did the "Spank the Panc" run for Pancreatic Cancer in Edmonton this past weekend in the river valley. Was a great course, hills through the first 5k were really tough though

Planning my race schedule for next year, so far have 4/5 half marathons picked out starting with the Hypothermic Half in Victoria in February.

Thanks!

I did not know there was a run last week, though it seems like you could race every week here if you wanted.

I've got planned; the Hypo Half in Edmonton in February, and possibly the Edmonton Police Foundation half in April, then start training for a full at the Edmonton Marathon in August. Maybe a MEC race in there somewhere.

If you want some outdoor training to help aclimitize for the the Hypo, there is a NP tribe that meets 2-3 times a week in Calgary, free and fun.

CzechYourself

Czech It!
Mar 31, 2013
Calgary, AB
Thanks!

I did not know there was a run last week, though it seems like you could race every week here if you wanted.

I've got planned; the Hypo Half in Edmonton in February, and possibly the Edmonton Police Foundation half in April, then start training for a full at the Edmonton Marathon in August. Maybe a MEC race in there somewhere.

If you want some outdoor training to help aclimitize for the the Hypo, there is a NP tribe that meets 2-3 times a week in Calgary, free and fun.

Yeah it is awesome. I'm also looking at doing both the Edmonton Police Foundation half & the Edmonton (half) marathon next year - the old man lives in Edmonton and we enter races together.

Other runs I have planned are the Hypothermic Half in Victoria (February), Peach City Half Marathon in Penticton (May), either the MEC Race in Victoria or the Banff Marathon (same day in June, have to pick one) and probably either the Harvest Half in Calgary in September.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Yeah it is awesome. I'm also looking at doing both the Edmonton Police Foundation half & the Edmonton (half) marathon next year - the old man lives in Edmonton and we enter races together.

Other runs I have planned are the Hypothermic Half in Victoria (February), Peach City Half Marathon in Penticton (May), either the MEC Race in Victoria or the Banff Marathon (same day in June, have to pick one) and probably either the Harvest Half in Calgary in September.

That's awesome that you run with your father, I've done a couple hikes with mine, its great time together.

Victoria or Banff is a tough choice, both are beautiful. I love Penticton, though.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Did 9 miles running on the trail today with 1900 feet of elevation gain and descent. Felt good to get out and push myself again.

Hoping to try to run the half marathon trail course in my city (on my own not as part of an official race) next weekend. It is 7.5 miles of the run I did today plus another two big climbs to make it a total of 3500 feet up and down over the 13.1.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Despite the trails being icy this weekend, and falling on said ice within the first 0.5k of my run, managed to beat my 15k PR by 2 minutes. Look to be tracking well to hit my goal of a sub 2 hour half marathon later this month. At about a 5:35/k-5:40/k pace.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Despite the trails being icy this weekend, and falling on said ice within the first 0.5k of my run, managed to beat my 15k PR by 2 minutes. Look to be tracking well to hit my goal of a sub 2 hour half marathon later this month. At about a 5:35/k-5:40/k pace.

Ran a 2:09 half today with about 800' of elevation gain overall. Not too bad considering I ran 28 miles total last week and probably need some rest soon. I think I could break 2 hours in a formal race as long as it didn't have too much climbing provided I gave myself a bit of rest and completely refilled glycogen stores ahead of time since I normally eat a very carb restricted diet. I did take in about 50g of carbs today 25g just prior and 25g during the run.

After gorging on pizza two weeks ago over the weekend I was able to run a 50 min 10k so I definitely run better with full glycogen stores.

I'm starting to think I may need to introduce more carbs to the diet in the form of brown rice/sweet potato/fruit etc which I'm not really eating much of right now since my running volume has become higher than in the past.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
the pen is mightier, are you going to try to do any longer distances after your half?

I'd love to complete a marathon, but right now it just seems like such a ridiculous distance considering my legs start to get really sore as I near the completion of a half distance. I think i need to get down from 175 to around 150 in order to help my legs not take such a pounding on the longer runs.

The letsrun.com forums are so brutal for normal guys trying to get better at running. a 3 hour marathon is a slow time to all those forum warriors. I would be bragging if I could break a 4 hour marathon, and these guys are acting like you need to run 26.2 in 2:30 minutes to even be considered a runner. :laugh:

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
the pen is mightier, are you going to try to do any longer distances after your half?

I'd love to complete a marathon, but right now it just seems like such a ridiculous distance considering my legs start to get really sore as I near the completion of a half distance. I think i need to get down from 175 to around 150 in order to help my legs not take such a pounding on the longer runs.

The letsrun.com forums are so brutal for normal guys trying to get better at running. a 3 hour marathon is a slow time to all those forum warriors. I would be bragging if I could break a 4 hour marathon, and these guys are acting like you need to run 26.2 in 2:30 minutes to even be considered a runner. :laugh:

I am hoping to complete a marathon later this year. I am registered for Edmonton in August and Honolulu in December, so I should finish one of them. Also running a 30k leg for the Sin7 ultra in July.

I would classify myself as a normal guy running, though I'm hovering around the 200 lbs mark right now, would like to get down to 175. My hope is for a 4 hour-ish marathon, I'd be over the moon if I broke 4 hours for a full.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->