The Runner's Thread

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I ran my first half marathon April 26th.

My training schedule was really messed up! I got a big tattoo on my chest and it was all scabbing and peeling for the week leading up to the run, so I didn't run at all that entire time. And the night before the run was a big surprise bday party for a friend with open bar and all that... As much as I tried to hold back, I still indulged quite a bit! Left the party at midnight but couldn't sleep, so I only got around 4 hours of sleep the night before the run.

I just told myself, go slow, don't worry. I ran the entire thing without stopping once, which I am proud of, but my time was crap, 2:11... My dad ran it with me and finished with 1:48, at 62 years old!

I took a few weeks off from running afterwards. I was sore for a whole week after the half and then I had another session on my tattoo so I was out of commission for another week after that. This week I forced myself to get back into things, ran 6.5km 3 times, will probably do another run on Sunday.

It's crazy how quickly you fall out of shape when you're not training. My first run this week was a struggle, chest burning and cramps in my side. I finished 6.5km in 40 bloody minutes which is a really poor time compared to what I used to do. Though it seems to be getting better, yesterday I ran it in 37 minutes and barely broke a sweat.

I just really need to get back on track because I've been feeling chubby lately and noticed I gained 5 pounds since running the half! No running for 3 weeks and I gained 5 lbs... Though I've been eating like **** too.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Went for a couple good, long runs around old Quebec City and the Plains of Abraham while in QC for the Mem Cup this weekend.

Absolutely stunning! Can't recommend it highly enough. Even if you have nothing else to do, just go for the running.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Google?

It mostly comes down to having patience. You're not going to build Rome in a day, but getting out two or three times a week will have you running 5 k pretty soon. Remember that it's ok to walk and run, walk and run, at first.

My advice would be to get a starter GPS watch, like a Garmin Forerunner 110, once you've tried out running, and have made sure it's "you". I find it's a good way to stay motivated; you'll be able to monitor your progress (or lack thereof).

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Ok cool where could I find it ?

Just google couch to 5k and the first link that pops up is a 'cool running' site that has lots of info and a decent start up plan.

Incorporate some walking in with your running when your starting out and go at an easy pace. The most important thing is just getting out often. There are lots of excuses not to go, its up to you to stay with it.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
I ran a half marathon this past weekend, and after a lot of training this winter/spring I managed to squeeze in just sub90 which has been quite a dream goal for me. 89,26 minutes in total.

Now I'm thinking of running a full marathon, and I also want to run sub40 on a single mile race. Only problem is I don't want to do the training it takes. :laugh:

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Just completed a 8 km long interval run with 400 meter fast spurts followed by another 400 meter slow jog. And repeat these for the whole duration of 8 kilometers.

Man, this is some good stuff. Feels a lot better than the regular 10-15 km long steady paced jogs that I normally do. It was also a lot harder and tiring than my usual jogs.

I usually run two or three times a week and from now on I should include at least one interval run for each week. This is supposedly also better for metabolism and fat burning than steady paced jogs.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
Just completed a 8 km long interval run with 400 meter fast spurts followed by another 400 meter slow jog. And repeat these for the whole duration of 8 kilometers.

Man, this is some good stuff. Feels a lot better than the regular 10-15 km long steady paced jogs that I normally do. It was also a lot harder and tiring than my usual jogs.

I usually run two or three times a week and from now on I should include at least one interval run for each week. This is supposedly also better for metabolism and fat burning than steady paced jogs.

Intervals are great in every way -- except it's so damn painful. :laugh:

The Jesus*

I couldn't even ride a bike up a 45 degree hill today. In my defense I had no water and was wearing a sweater (I seriously gotta invest in summer clothes), and had already been riding for 20 or so minutes... but damn, I feel so pathetic.

I really need to get back in shape.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Another 8 kilometer interval run behind and it feels great. Maybe I should ditch the steady paced cardio runs all together. Intervals is just a better exercise and it takes less time.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Heat has been difficult to run in recently so I've gone back to early morning runs.

Anyone else using Strava?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Heat has been difficult to run in recently so I've gone back to early morning runs.

Anyone else using Strava?

I will upload my Garmin info to Strava, but I won't use Strava as a way to see how far I've gone and all that. Last week I ran it side by side to my Garmin to see if it had maybe gotten a little better with tracking... and I did a 30 mile ride and Strava only picked up 24 miles of that ride.

But it can be helpful and fun to mess around with numbers if you're using a Garmin, TomTom, etc type of device to upload your info to it.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I will upload my Garmin info to Strava, but I won't use Strava as a way to see how far I've gone and all that. Last week I ran it side by side to my Garmin to see if it had maybe gotten a little better with tracking... and I did a 30 mile ride and Strava only picked up 24 miles of that ride.

But it can be helpful and fun to mess around with numbers if you're using a Garmin, TomTom, etc type of device to upload your info to it.

Oh yeah I guess I meant I use it in the same way Ray does. I use my Suunto Ambit 3 which uploads to Suunto Movescount but also automatically uploads to Strava as well. It's nice to look at afterwards mostly to see if I'm getting faster or how my routes compare to other people which is a nice little competition to keep getting better.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I signed up for my 2nd half in September of this year! Training starts this week.

I had a bit of shock when I weighed myself and came in at 168, 13 lbs heavier than I was when I ran my last half only 2 months ago. I must have really let myself go to have gained 13 lbs in 2 months... In any case, I was disappointed with my finish last time and my running has inspired a bunch of my friends to pick it up as well... As a result, I have 3 other friends training and running the half in September with me!

I HAVE to do better. I really slacked my training last time and ran it with my dad, who at 62 year old smoked me and finished at 1:48 (I finished around 2:11). I cannot afford to get smoked by all my friends too (one is very athletic but she JUST had a baby so I think I can do it)!

I run with a Polar m400 and I love it. Really adds an extra dimension to my tracking and training. I also ordered a Scosche Rhythm+ so no chest straps for me!

I use Polar Flow and I export everything afterwards into Runtastic. It's not the best and I lose some information but honestly I have a year and half worth of runs already in there and it feels strange to "give it up" so to speak... Which is why I never switched to Strava. Polar Flow is really nice but it doesn't allow me to share anything to Facebook oddly enough, and that's how my friends and I are following each others' training.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I've been recently getting back into running. When I was in college I got into it a bit and ran a mile in 6:30 which was my best time. That was 2012 and honestly I might have gone for a run three times between that and now haha

I've gotten back into lifting weights in March and that was going well but took some time off while I was seeing some girl this summer (why does that always seem to be the cause of not working out haha). I also was drinking more during that time and I lost about ten pounds and I feel like all muscle and not very toned right now.

I want to get my weight back up but also stay slim so I decided to bite the bullet and start running and I've actually kinda liked it so far. I'm so out of running shape but I can feel it coming back. I started running again last week and couldn't even run a mile under ten. Today I ran one in 8:30 which isn't horrible for how little cardio I've done in the last three years.

I want to keep going and running every day, just a mile a day for now, but my legs are getting a little sore haha. I don't know what to do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad