The Runner's Thread

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Half-marathon test today (running a half in Berlin next Sunday) - 16k in 1:19, for a pace of just under 5 min/k. Leg is... ok, but not great. Still, confidence is there that I'll have a resonable race.

Solid pace for 16km. Good luck in the race.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Berlin half-marathon done and dusted.

The weather was meh... It had rained during the night, it was overcast, and about 7 degrees celcius.

I started out in the 2 hours+ start group, so I spent a fair bit of the first five km overtaking, often running on the sidewalk. Pace was a bit below my usual, at just under 5 min/k.

After about 7k, I found a nice fellow runner that I began following (she had a very shapely body, and her t-shirt read "follow me". Who was I to quibble?). We ran together until about 17, when I got separated from her at a depot. That was also when my thighs really began to hurt. I pace dropped the rest of the way, ending at about 5.30/k.

I finished in an official time of 1.51.20. My Garmin said I ran 21,35 km, so I guess I could've run a more optimal route.

My thighs still hurt; I hope for a wee recovery run tomorrow.

But my IT band issue didn't make itself known, at all. That's a definite plus.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
So, my skate blister finally felt well enough as of March 20...but on the 19th I started feeling sick with a sore throat, turns out I came down with bronchitis. Finally got back to running on Saturday (28th), whhich made for 17 days of no running. I was still able to progress in my program. One continuous 60 min run left on the treadmill and I'm done Zero to 10k. Ice is finally all gone, transitioning to outdoors soon. :yo:

However, it has occurred to me that I don't think I want to progress beyond doing two 10ks this year (April 11 & June 6). Maybe beyond these I focus on 5Ks since I want to switch to a mixture of lifting and running shorter distances eventually. Running three to four hours a week is a lot already.

Any tips on how often/much I should be running to maintain my fitness for 10K? I google but all I see are progression type plans.

One other thing I've noticed is in the last few weeks of this program, it is a lot harder to keep my diet in check because of how much more hungrier I am. Blah!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
After taking a few months off running and focusing on cycling, and some other endurance/strength training... I was surprised how well I can still run. Kind of randomly went and ran 6 miles the other day, and my pace was below 7:40, which is probably the fastest 6 mile time I've ever logged.

Berlin half-marathon done and dusted.

The weather was meh... It had rained during the night, it was overcast, and about 7 degrees celcius.

I started out in the 2 hours+ start group, so I spent a fair bit of the first five km overtaking, often running on the sidewalk. Pace was a bit below my usual, at just under 5 min/k.

After about 7k, I found a nice fellow runner that I began following (she had a very shapely body, and her t-shirt read "follow me". Who was I to quibble?). We ran together until about 17, when I got separated from her at a depot. That was also when my thighs really began to hurt. I pace dropped the rest of the way, ending at about 5.30/k.

I finished in an official time of 1.51.20. My Garmin said I ran 21,35 km, so I guess I could've run a more optimal route.

My thighs still hurt; I hope for a wee recovery run tomorrow.

But my IT band issue didn't make itself known, at all. That's a definite plus.

That's awesome to hear the knee held up well.

And there is no easier way to make a long run go by quickly than locking your eyes onto a nice ass.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
I'm 14 and I'm wondering if I'm running too much do 6km like 5 times a week is this too much or too little ? want to just have excellent endurance.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
What's your baseline conditioning?

My standard advice would be that you ought to limit yourself to running every other day. Running too frequently will ultimately be destructive for your body - it needs time to rest and rebuild after a run. But if you're already superfit from some other sport, that might change things.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
What's your baseline conditioning?

My standard advice would be that you ought to limit yourself to running every other day. Running too frequently will ultimately be destructive for your body - it needs time to rest and rebuild after a run. But if you're already superfit from some other sport, that might change things.

I can do 6km in 35 minutes so where is my conditioning at for my age ?

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
About average, I would say.

I would keep it to three or four times a week at least until after summer. Unlike say swimming, running is pretty tough on the body. The sinews and muscles in your legs need to get used to the strain. If you run every day, they'll constantly be stressed. Remember that you're likely still growing at 14.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Had a really good run last Saturday, that I kind of surprised myself with. I absolutely crushed it last week just all around. Lots of running, couple Orange Theory classes... so come Saturday thought I'd be running on fumes, coming off a 40 mile ride on Thursday and 50 on Friday. Still managed a 8 mile run come Saturday, at a 7:52 per mile pace. First mile and a half were rough, but they usually are when I leave from my house since pretty much the first mile and a 1/4 are straight up hill.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Getting back into running now that weather is nicer.

Did an awesome run on Saturday - 5.7 miles of trails.. 48 minutes or ~8.5min/mile pace. Longest run I have done in a year or so.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've got a killer shin splint. Haven't had any since high school (9 years ago?). Attempted to run yesterday and that was the most pain I've been in in recent memory. Almost cried.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
10km today. Aiming for another 40km week. If anyone is looking for comfy shoes give the Hoka Cliftons a try. Super light and crazy cushioning.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Just started running yesterday. I used to run a lot better and set way too lofty of a goal. Nearly collapsed after 2 miles. Aimed for 2 miles today and hit it.

I'd like to reach the point where I can do 2 miles in 11:56 again (my best ever time) but I set that time 11 years ago :laugh:

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Oops, forgot to update my 10k race on April 11 -- finished at 1:06 for my first ever 10km race. Had to stop a couple times at around the 6km mark bc I got unbearably hot after the sun started shining, and stopped to say thanks to the volunteers at 5km & 7.5km marks.

Since then, not a whole lot of running has taken place - I played in a hockey tournament on April 17-19 and my cardio was amazing thanks to running so much -- and I ended up with two blisters again (despite me getting my skates rebaked, still not as bad as the March skate blisters) which are healing up nicely.

I do have a 5k on May 23 so I should prob get back into it.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
So this little lady that I've had my eye on for a few months just ran a half marathon quicker than I ever did. That just flat out won't fly. Good thing I have an other one May 9th. Time to set that particular issue straight.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I ran 10.1 miles in 1:32 on Sunday, for my longest run I've ever done.

I should have pushed and tried to get to the half marathon in about 2 hours but I was in uncharted territory and decided to just stop it right after hitting double digits. I'll aim for the 13.1 mark next time I push a long run.

I was pretty happy that I was able to keep a 9:13/mile pace over the 10 miles, since I'm probably still carrying like 40 pounds I shouldn't be at 205 on a 5'8 frame.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I'm not used to the heat yet. Last two runs have been pretty warm and I've felt cooked towards the end of both. Might need to switch to morning runs soon.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Well I'm glad to have found this thread. I'm an avid runner. Typically just marathon's and half although my area seems to have a good deal of 15ks so I'll do those as well.

I've got a 50k coming up early next year that I want to compete in, with my ultimate goal to complete a 50miler, 100k, & 100 miler.

Western States here I come!

Last edited:

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Almost ready for my first 1/2. Taper week time. I've ran the distance before but this will be my first time doing it in a 'race' setting. Should be fun.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
So this little lady that I've had my eye on for a few months just ran a half marathon quicker than I ever did. That just flat out won't fly. Good thing I have an other one May 9th. Time to set that particular issue straight.

Mission accomplished. Was in a relay team for Mallorca Ironman 70.3, and did the run in 1 hour 43 minutes, for a new PR by a margin of 8 minutes 20 seconds, and just over two minutes faster than the little lady.

;)

Perfect race really, steady splits throughout the race, despite a baking sun, and temps over 30 degrees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad