The Runner's Thread

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Are you guys using gps watches? If so which one and do you like it/ would you recommend it?

I have the Suunto Ambit 3 Sport and the Heart Rate Strap (which I haven't worn the last couple weeks out of laziness).

I love it, but I expect the Ambit 4 will be better since I bet they update the display to full color to compete with the new Fenix.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've been running way, way too much on the treadmill lately... and while I hate treadmills, it has been convenient.

drcrusher

Jul 12, 2006
I've been running way, way too much on the treadmill lately... and while I hate treadmills, it has been convenient.

I hear you. With the cold and more recently, snow this winter, I've been relegated mainly to treadmill and a park with a paved path that the county is actually very good about plowing (it's a 1.75-mile loop). While I appreciate that I have these options to keep my training going, I am so terribly bored of them. I keep thinking that I'm not feeling very good, but I know it's just boredom trying to give me an out. I would give almost anything to be able to trail run again without slogging through ice and snow. I also desperately need to get some long hilly road miles in and was planning on it this past weekend, but snow happened. I'm hoping it's really only another couple weeks of this.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I hear you. With the cold and more recently, snow this winter, I've been relegated mainly to treadmill and a park with a paved path that the county is actually very good about plowing (it's a 1.75-mile loop). While I appreciate that I have these options to keep my training going, I am so terribly bored of them. I keep thinking that I'm not feeling very good, but I know it's just boredom trying to give me an out. I would give almost anything to be able to trail run again without slogging through ice and snow. I also desperately need to get some long hilly road miles in and was planning on it this past weekend, but snow happened. I'm hoping it's really only another couple weeks of this.

I don't really have that excuse, unfortunately. Although oddly enough it is snowing out right now in Atlanta. :laugh:

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I've used the TomTom Multi Sport and last Christmas upgraded to the Garmin 920xt.

They were both great, and I'd recommend both of them. If you're on a tight budget, stick with TT, if you have a bit more cash to spend and want a few more features, then go with Garmin.

I have the Suunto Ambit 3 Sport and the Heart Rate Strap (which I haven't worn the last couple weeks out of laziness).

I love it, but I expect the Ambit 4 will be better since I bet they update the display to full color to compete with the new Fenix.

Funny enough both the Suunto Ambit 3 and the 920XT are watches I'm looking at. The new Fenix looks amazing as well. Unfortunately my budget will likely put me more in the TomTom range for now. I also saw a 910XT on sale for just over $200 w/ HRM so that is another option but we'll see. It feels like every time I'm ready to jump at buying one, Suunto or Garmin release details of a sweet new watch.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
The 910 is amazing. I haven't tried the 920, but I imagine it's even better.

I'm on a 310 myself, and one thing that has gotten annoying - particularly in winter - is that it takes a couple of minutes for it to be ready to run. It's too slow at picking up sattelites, imo.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Funny enough both the Suunto Ambit 3 and the 920XT are watches I'm looking at. The new Fenix looks amazing as well. Unfortunately my budget will likely put me more in the TomTom range for now. I also saw a 910XT on sale for just over $200 w/ HRM so that is another option but we'll see. It feels like every time I'm ready to jump at buying one, Suunto or Garmin release details of a sweet new watch.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the TomTom, it never once failed me. I just wanted a bit more on the stat side so that's why I upgraded to the 920.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa

They are like Smartphones, at some point you just have to pick one, there is always gonna be another one coming out soon that's better:laugh:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Finally got outside for a run and was able to run 5 at just under 8:00 per mile, on icy sidewalks and in some pretty snowy conditions. Pretty happy with that.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
They are like Smartphones, at some point you just have to pick one, there is always gonna be another one coming out soon that's better:laugh:

Very true. It seems like a new version is released yearly now. I think I'll stick to my lower budget for now and see how it works out. By the time I'm ready for a $500ish one the Fenix 4 or Suunto Ambit 5 will be out. :D

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Finally got outside for a run and was able to run 5 at just under 8:00 per mile, on icy sidewalks and in some pretty snowy conditions. Pretty happy with that.

Icy sidewalks suck. That and slush near intersections. There is always some jerk driver just waiting for you to run near a slush puddle and then floors it through the puddle. I've had to step back quickly a few times to avoid being splashed.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Icy sidewalks suck. That and slush near intersections. There is always some jerk driver just waiting for you to run near a slush puddle and then floors it through the puddle. I've had to step back quickly a few times to avoid being splashed.

Luckily where I was running the sidewalks are pretty well separated from the street so that wasn't an issue for the most part.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Saw the physio again today. Strength is still down in my left leg. He was thinking he'd recommend heavy-load weights, to work the tendon, but then he had an inspiration. He massaged my jaw and neck (!!!) and that yielded immediate results. Apparently, there's a direct link between the hip flexor muscles and the jaw/neck area. I'll need to keep it up myself, but he's confident that we have it surrounded now.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
And indeed, 11,1 km in 51:55 today, for an average of 4:40/k. In gusty winds, occasional showers, just over freezing.

1½ hour later, no ill effects from the leg.

Pretty happy camper over here right now.

Last edited:

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Saw the physio again today. Strength is still down in my left leg. He was thinking he'd recommend heavy-load weights, to work the tendon, but then he had an inspiration. He massaged my jaw and neck (!!!) and that yielded immediate results. Apparently, there's a direct link between the hip flexor muscles and the jaw/neck area. I'll need to keep it up myself, but he's confident that we have it surrounded now.

Sorcery. :sarcasm: Hope it works for you. I've had hip flexor issues over the past few months and it sucks. Maybe I'll look into this.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Finished w8d3 of Zero to 10k last night, a forty min continuous run for the first time. Finished it still felt like I had some gas in the tank after. Feels great, especially knowing you start at week one doing only 60 second run/ 90 second walk intervals. Two more weeks left!

Wow though, am I ever getting tired of the music I have on my phone. I definitely need to get more variety in my mp3s :laugh:

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Great last 3 days of runs. Day 1 Hill sprints, day 2 relaxed pace 10k, day 3 21km long run with some nice hills.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My half marathon is about 1.5 months away... Been really slacking with my training due to many reasons. Yesterday I ran 8 miles with hills and it got tough near the end, but I've never run that much before. Going to have to keep pushing.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My half marathon is about 1.5 months away... Been really slacking with my training due to many reasons. Yesterday I ran 8 miles with hills and it got tough near the end, but I've never run that much before. Going to have to keep pushing.

After running 8 miles on Tuesday, my knees were so sore for the rest of the week... But I admit I slacked with my stretching.

Last night I ran 9 miles, again with hills. My knees are destroyed this morning but I'm going to be really strict with my stretching and maintenance runs from here on out. The half is just 4 more miles than what I did yesterday, which isn't that bad.

One issue I've been having is that my feet fall asleep after about 5-6 miles or so. It gets to the point where my entire foot and ankle is just pins and needles, and I get nervous I might injury myself since I can't feel them. Once I stop for a minute or 2 and just walk, it goes back to normal.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Finished week 9 of 10 of my Zero to 10k program. Was so excited when I had a chance to play in a hockey tournament this weekend for the first time since May 2014, I jumped at it. Got three games total in, scored 7 goals and my stamina/endurance was great.

Downside is, I ended the weekend with a massive blister on my right inside ankle rubbed completely raw with no skin flap to protect it. Now I think I can't run until it heals :cry: I was three runs away from finishing. So mad.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I had a nasty cold / sore knee combination that took me out of action for about two weeks. It's crazy how much you can regress by taking two weeks off from running.

I was up to running 8 miles before I stopped and I've just gotten 4 2 mile runs in this week as I try to build back up again. Part of it is definitely my fault as I am trying to run on a very significant caloric deficit and it's pretty easy to bonk by the end of the runs.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I had a nasty cold / sore knee combination that took me out of action for about two weeks. It's crazy how much you can regress by taking two weeks off from running.

I was up to running 8 miles before I stopped and I've just gotten 4 2 mile runs in this week as I try to build back up again. Part of it is definitely my fault as I am trying to run on a very significant caloric deficit and it's pretty easy to bonk by the end of the runs.

I was running on a caloric deficit and once you start hitting 6+ miles I find it gets pretty tough. Just so much less energy, and more risk of injuring yourself or passing out. It's sort of hit and miss too, some days will be ok and others will be torture.

I started having about 200-400 calories, something like a piece of bread or a granola bar or something, with a good about of carbs, about an hour to an hour and half before my runs and I end up being able to do miles and miles without even being out of breath. So much easier!

I'm getting pretty nervous about my half next month... I have yet to run more than 9 miles, and this one is 13 miles! Though, honestly if I allow myself to take 5 minute walking breaks I think I'll be fine. It's still too cold and snowy to run outside so I've been doing the treadmill at the gym...

I run 7 miles on the "hill challenge mode) which alternates 1 minute of flat and 1 minute of incline, with the incline increasing from 1.5-3.5 and then repeats. After, I'll run a few miles on flat after a 5 minute walking break. Unfortunately, I have no choice as the treadmills at the gym kick you off after 1 hour, so I need to let it do the 5 minute cooldown cycle before I can restart it again.

I figure the hills on the treadmill are bigger than any I will be running during the half, as it's a pretty flat course. And I certainly won't be running uphill for 1 minute intervals at any point, so I figure I'm preparing myself for the worst this way. I also find that running uphill is like running a longer distance flat... I use a few running trackers but the pedometer in my ipod adds on almost an extra 1.5 miles over an hour when I do a run with hills, compared to flat. My last run was about 13 km and my ipod estimated it was 16 km.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Yeah carbs would definitely make it easier on me too.

I'm following a ketogenic diet which makes the running even harder. I'm not exactly making it very easy on myself:laugh:

But yeah I agree after about 6 miles you get zonked pretty fast when you're already at a big deficit prior to the run.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Half-marathon test today (running a half in Berlin next Sunday) - 16k in 1:19, for a pace of just under 5 min/k. Leg is... ok, but not great. Still, confidence is there that I'll have a resonable race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad