Votes: 81 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Too soon, will need more time

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Suzuki has done alright in the playoffs. 32 games with 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points. Decent but not fantastic.
Caufield has only played 20 games and has 4 goals and 8 assists for 12 points,nothing to get excited about.

The forward group now will not be the same when and if they make the playoffs and the D will be that much more experienced and improved, crossing my fingers as I type,well not really. lol
If you watched the SC run and came away thinking that Suzuki was only decent and there was nothing to get excited about with regards to Caufield then just wow, I'm speechless.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Given we likely won't have any 100+ point guys and based on how HuGo have stockpiled picks, prospects and young players, they are likely looking to build a deep team that can roll 4 lines and 6 D and get contributions from everyone.. as opposed to having a top heavy team like Toronto/Edmonton. In this case, the Suzuki line should be a good enough first line assuming we can get offense from lines 2 - 4.

This is where it will be important to add an offensive player to our second line to play with Dach (likely done this draft) and build a third line that can help contribute offensively (which could perhaps include some of Beck/Roy/Farrell/Mesar etc). It will also be important to have a 4th line that can chip in some points which perhaps Tuch/Xhekaj may be able to help with.

On the D side we will get offensive contributions from some of Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, Konyushkov, Barron and guys like Guhle/Reinbacher/Xhekaj can chip in some offence as well.

If you watched the SC run and came away thinking that Suzuki was only decent and there was nothing to get excited about with regards to Caufield then just wow, I'm speechless.

Our second line was built around Danault (1 goal), Gallagher (2 goals) and Lehkonen/Tatar who combined for 3 goals in 22 games. It makes Suzuki/Caufield's playoff production that much more impressive when teams basically only had to worry about 1 offensive line.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Decent is good,don't know why you're getting all uppity about it. If you think 4 goals in 20 games for a supposedly highly touted sniper is something to get excited about,good for you,you are easily impressed. That's fine though,some have higher standards than others.

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
In the players standings

Centers : Suzuki is 10th for goals, 16th for points
Left wingers : Slafkovsky is 38th for goals, 30th for points
Right wingers : Caufield is 18th for goals, 14th for points

Average position is 21th. Average age is 22.33yo. All you need to know.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think Suzuki and Slafkovsky will be on the 1st line. I'm in favour of finding a 3rd complementary piece and pairing Caufield with Dach
All the very good teams don't necessarily have a fixed first line. They do have a depth of top 6 players that can be moved around.
A lot of teams do prefer to work with duos like you've mentioned and then move parts around them as they see fit.
The more I watch Slafkovsky play the more I believe in the Suzuki/Slafkovsky duo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All the very good teams don't necessarily have a fixed first line. They do have a depth of top 6 players that can be moved around.
A lot of teams do prefer to work with duos like you've mentioned and then move parts around them as they see fit.
The more I watch Slafkovsky play the more I believe in the Suzuki/Slafkovsky duo.
I agree that the concept of a first line is malleable, as it should be since funks happen and sometimes, opposition coaches figure out how to neutralize a line that stays together too long.

More importantly is our top 6 depth as you stated, and more specifically, adding an impact C. It just got plain ugly after Dach went down and we can’t have that again.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If KH is successful in adding a legit top 6 talent to the roster this summer, by this time next year the question may well be not "IF" we have a legit 1st line, but instead which of our two top line caliber trios is our top line...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If KH is successful in adding a legit top 6 talent to the roster this summer, by this time next year the question may well be not "IF" we have a legit 1st line, but instead which of our two top line caliber trios is our top line...
We definitely have the ammo and then some, to nab that quality piece. Scoring is the most in demand skill, especially if it comes in the form of a young, high IQ C with size. Who will be this summer’s Chicago, who will not hesitate to invite offers for that type of asset?

Reactions: Miller Time

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Depends… If the Habs get lucky at the draft, Suzuki will be on the 2nd line in two years. That would also put Dach on the wing.

If not lucky, we will see.

I agree with Simon Boisvert on this. Ideally you want Suzuki to be your #4 forward. Slaf will be top 3. So… if the Habs get lucky next draft, then only one guy is missing since Dach and Caufield would most likely fit in nicely at 5 and/or 6.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Depends… If the Habs get lucky at the draft, Suzuki will be on the 2nd line in two years. That would also put Dach on the wing.

Meh. Splitting hairs.

Imo we have 3 players that are locks to be mid to top tier top line players in their prime (CC, Slaf, Nick), and 2 guys that very much could get to that level if they hit their ceilings (Newhook, Dach).

So as long as the 6th guy is even borderline top line caliber, we'll have enough for 2 "top lines".

I agree with Simon Boisvert on this. Ideally you want Suzuki to be your #4 forward.
I don't. People keep sleeping on Suzuki, and all he does is keep improving.

Perhaps after he makes team Canada and plays at the Olympics ppl will finally get it.

Slaf will be top 3. So… if the Habs get lucky next draft, then only one guy is missing since Dach and Caufield would most likely fit in nicely at 5 and/or 6.

This time next year, CC will be a concencus top 15 LW. Book it.

Dach is more uncertain, but if he recovers well, I won't be surprised to see him assert himself as a top 30 C.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So as long as the 6th guy is even borderline top line caliber, we'll have enough for 2 "top lines".
I dunno, we do have the assets to get a top line caliber guy -- why settle for borderline? If they're going to commit to that player long term as a top 6 (with top line upside), aim higher.

Of course, what the market will bear is out of Hughes' control but he can make very juicy offers. Just dealing from redundancy, he can float out some enticing names.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I agree with Simon Boisvert on this. Ideally you want Suzuki to be your #4 forward. Slaf will be top 3. So… if the Habs get lucky next draft, then only one guy is missing since Dach and Caufield would most likely fit in nicely at 5 and/or 6.
I do agree that we need to be lucky and draft Celebrini if we want a championship contending offence because we don’t have any franchise forward.

But Suzuki can be easily your 2-3 best forward with Slaf.

Caufield should be on a 2nd line though, he can’t be one of your top 3 forward in my opinion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I do agree that we need to be lucky and draft Celebrini if we want a championship contending offence because we don’t have any franchise forward.

But Suzuki can be easily your 2-3 best forward with Slaf.

Caufield should be on a 2nd line though, he can’t be one of your top 3 forward in my opinion.
Agreed. And you can't have too many diminutives in your top 6 either.

Reactions: Rapala and Vachon23

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I dunno, we do have the assets to get a top line caliber guy -- why settle for borderline? If they're going to commit to that player long term as a top 6 (with top line upside), aim higher.

Of course, what the market will bear is out of Hughes' control but he can make very juicy offers. Just dealing from redundancy, he can float out some enticing names.

No doubt.

And frankly I won't be surprised at all if we land Stamkos this summer... The relationship with MSL, the allure of finishing off his career in a historic franchise, and the visible trajectory to a cup contending roster over next 2-3 years are all factors that make it more realistic than some might think.

Slaf Suzuki CC
Stamkos Dach Newhook

That'd be a pretty dynamic top 6

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No doubt.

And frankly I won't be surprised at all if we land Stamkos this summer... The relationship with MSL, the allure of finishing off his career in a historic franchise, and the visible trajectory to a cup contending roster over next 2-3 years are all factors that make it more realistic than some might think.

Slaf Suzuki CC
Stamkos Dach Newhook

Maybe Lecavalier has some pull?

How about Moneyhands as your third line C in that scenario?

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Agree on this. I don't care which line is which, just play the players that clicks together the best with similar playing time when the top 6 will be complete.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
No doubt.

Slaf Suzuki CC
Stamkos Dach Newhook

Please no…

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: