• No

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Too soon, will need more time

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I will say they don't seem like a Kulemin-Grabovski-MacAthur kind of fluke line picking up tons of garbage goals. I think they're legit as it's been a gradual building for Nick and Cole at least, rather than a random anomaly after years of being waiver-trash. Slaf is hard to pinpoint since he was so low to start the year and is so high now. Will he maintain is hard to say. But just Nick and Cole's progression is a "good enough" first line. If Slaf even stays remotely near his current play then it's an easy yes.

Reactions: Milhouse40

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Habs seems to have 4 legitimate top 6 guys to build around. Caufield, Suzuki, dach and slaf.

If it was up to me, I'd rather have a couple of those guys on each line rather than loading up one line and leaving one guy with scraps.

Therefore, I don't think we can say that this first line is permanent. Dach coming back can cause a significant domino effect to the lineup.

Reactions: atrud66

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think we have the making of a solid 1a & 1b top 6...

Slaf Suzuki Newhook
CC Dach ???

Turn that ??? into a Zegras or Stamkos or some other legit top 6 talent and we'll be in business

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I'm taking a forward, I cannot see us being in a position to draft talent like the top four forwards for a long time. Catton is listed at 5'11" and although slight he looks physically immature and I can see him putting on another 20lbs quit easily. Our own Kutch would be awesome.
5'11 is generous, so he's way undersized to be a 1C. Problem is we have Suzuki also at 5'11. Cant have 2 x C sub511 as our top 6. Way too easy to contain, especially if one isn't even heavy built.

... people are underestimating the physical rigors of the NHL.. It's a real issue staying healthy in todays game. Bodies take a pounding out there, even moreso for small players.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
5'11 is generous, so he's way undersized to be a 1C. Problem is we have Suzuki also at 5'11. Cant have 2 x C sub511 as our top 6. Way too easy to contain, especially if one isn't even heavy built.

... people are underestimating the physical rigors of the NHL.. It's a real issue staying healthy in todays game. Bodies take a pounding out there, even moreso for small players.
You mean our only player who hasn't been hurt ever? Crosby is 5'11, RoR 6'1, Datsyuk 5'11, Pavelski 5'11, etc.

The numbers say they're playing like a first line. I'd like to see how they look when the pressure is on. (Being playoff contenders)
I mean Suzuki was our main offensive line in 2021. Caufield didn't miss a beat. Slaf's whole draft rise was from performing when it mattered most.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I don't think we do if none of them continue to grow. If they plateau here, Yes maybe its "our" first line but we have an opportunity right now during a rebuild to make 2 1stlines...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Yes.
Now just missing lines 2,3 and 4.

It's more line 2 considering a bottom 6 is not the hard part to build and also we have everything we need to build it organically within the organization.....we didn't draft 10,000 times in the last few years for nothing and it's not like we're going to stop anytime soon either.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I mean Suzuki was our main offensive line in 2021. Caufield didn't miss a beat. Slaf's whole draft rise was from performing when it mattered most.
Since it's quite doubtful that we make the playoffs. The players are under minimal pressure. That's what I mean by "when it mattered most". If we were a contender, teams would be gunning for us. Instead they'll usually start their back up goalies.

I'm not slamming them. I've been quite pleased to see their progression. I'm just being patient, I've watched hockey for many years. I'm not gonna start doing cart wheels over a 15 to 20 game stretch. ;)

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
They have the potential to be the best 1st line we had in the 2000’s but they are not at the same level then the best 1st line in the NHL. They are all very good but no one is elite

Reactions: Benstheman

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Catton doesn't fit our top 6 makeup (too small).. He will be a great a player no doubt, somewhere else. Not every player is automatic based on the teams who pick them..

Lidstrom on the other hand is EXACTLY what we need.

My top 7 (in order) for MTL only (not overall).. these are the players who will enhance our lineup.

1- Celibrini (C)
2- Lidstrom (C)
3- Levshunov (RHD)
4- Silayev (LHD)
5- Demidov (RW)
6- Dickinson (LHD)
7- Parekh (RHD)

These players will not work work on our team (unless current guys are moved). in otehr words, they replace current players, they don't add to the mix.
1- Eiserman (LW)
2- Helenius (C)
3- Catton (C)
4- Buium (LHD)
If Celebrini, Lindstrom and Demidov are all taken by our pick, I hope we trade for a top prospect instead. Don't need any more dmen.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I wouldn't bet on them being a line in the future because first off, having that fixed 1st line is mostly a thing of the past. Lines just don't stick together for entire seasons, lines are juggled and broken up to try to get other lines to spark and get going offensively, to deal with injuries, to spread the offence around, etc...

And then on top of that, you generally won't put your 3 best players on 1 line because it's better to spread your offence out across 2 lines. Look back at Chicago's dynasty teams, they rarely would use Kane - Toews - Hossa as a line because it's simply better to spread out that star power.

Reactions: Andy

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Maybe but it doesn't really matter, they still need one of the top forwards in this year's draft and another top 6 player on top of that to create a championship caliber offense.

Newhook is a 3rd liner on a real contender imo.

Reactions: Benstheman

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
If Celebrini, Lindstrom and Demidov are all taken by our pick, I hope we trade for a top prospect instead. Don't need any more dmen.
Im not opposed to using our pick (and WPG 1st) as a package to ensure we get Lidstrom (Celibrini is locked at #1). Assume we finish 6th...
Lidstrom should be our target, but there are quite a few gems in this top 10... i could see Lidstrom drop to 4th as some teams are desperate for D..
Assume that scenario plays out, id package 6thoa + ~28thoa for 4thoa. Take Lidstrom and call it a day.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
It’s she shorter stocky ones that go on iron man streaks. They’ll need a closet full of mean, tall lanky ones with reach for the 2nd and 3rd lines they can cycle as they break.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Im not opposed to using our pick (and WPG 1st) as a package to ensure we get Lidstrom (Celibrini is locked at #1). Assume we finish 6th...
Lidstrom should be our target, but there are quite a few gems in this top 10... i could see Lidstrom drop to 4th as some teams are desperate for D..
Assume that scenario plays out, id package 6thoa + ~28thoa for 4thoa. Take Lidstrom and call it a day.
I would do that in a heart beat but cannot see a team doing it unless they want a D.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The numbers say they're playing like a first line. I'd like to see how they look when the pressure is on. (Being playoff contenders)
I’d like to see this line when Slaf is 21 with 150+ games in NHL and we have a legit second line that can take some of that pressure off the 1st and we have a legit top 4 D who can drive that play…..

Caufield and Suzuki have played in the NHL playoffs all the way to the finals, they’ve seen pressure!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That’s not enough……I know I wouldn’t do it!!

Take that package and add Barron….that’s the cost to move from 6th to 4th.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
They have the potential to be the best 1st line we had in the 2000’s but they are not at the same level then the best 1st line in the NHL. They are all very good but no one is elite
The 2nd best line is not at the level of the best line in the NHL!!

We don’t need to be McDavid good, we just need to duplicate the talent of our 1st line to the 2nd line!

Dach is a great start….if we can get lucky in this draft and are able to sign a player like Guentzel in the UFA market this year or the next, we are well on our way, especially with the youth and talent level we have on our D

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Then i would 6thoa + Hutson for Lidstrom. It's a gamble that must be taken to fill a desperate need.

Not before seeing what Hutson can do in the NHL....he might be filling a much more desperate need than another top 6 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad