Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Too soon, will need more time

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Since Januray 11th
Last 15 games

Suzuki has 19pts in 15 games = 6th in the NHL for center tied with Elias Pettersen
Caufield has 18pts in 15 games = 3rd in the NHL for RW, only behind Pastrnak and Kucherov
Slafkovsky has 15pts in 15 games = 6th line the NHL for LW tied with B. Tkachuk

Considering that:
1- Slafkovsky has a tons more room to grow and will keep improving for the next couple of years
2- Addition of skills like Dach on the 2nd line will free up a that line and give another option
3- The addition of offensive minded D in a near future like Hutson or Mailloux will help everyone offensively.

Those factors should improve their offensive production or at the very least sustain it.
But right now, despites everything this line-up is missing which is a lot, they are putting 1st line offensive production.

It's a small sample size but it might just prove one thing I always believed in:
Skill need to play with skill in order to produce at top level.

Because of injuries, because of lack of skill, it's not something we saw in the last 2 years.

We saw a little Dach - Suzuki - Caufield together last year and this line this year;
Both resulted in the same 1st line level offensive production.

Do we finally have our 1st line ?
Is it just a long flash that will die down ?
Do we need a little more time or a lot more time ?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I voted too soon, but it's probably not.

A line can be good one year and bad the next. It's not the norm for lines to stay intact for years and years. You simply can't build around a good first line, as roster layout has to be fluid due to injuries, trades, etc.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I voted too soon, but it's probably not.

A line can be good one year and bad the next. It's not the norm for lines to stay intact for years and years. You simply can't build around a good first line, as roster layout has to be fluid due to injuries, trades, etc.
Same camp as you — lines are too fluid to be able to project too far down the road.

Rather than a first line, I’d really want to know how many first line players we have.

Players’ ceilings as potential first liners and whether they’ve shown enough to have earned the label or whether they can attain it, is of far greater interest to me.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I'm hopeful but it seems like we do this every season when Suzuki goes through his big hot streak. We get the opposite type of threads when he goes on his inevitable cold streak as well talking about how they aren't good enough. Ideally we have a 1a 1b with Suzuki but who knows what's going to happen

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Same camp as you — lines are too fluid to be able to project too far down the road.

Rather than a first line, I’d really want to know how many first line players we have.

Players’ ceilings as potential first liners and whether they’ve shown enough to have earned the label or whether they can attain it, is of far greater interest to me.

That's where Dach came in.

Although I just can't put him there right now, many this summer, me included, saw in him the potential to pass Suzuki. But like Suzuki, he also need to play with skill players in order to do so and not drag an Anderson, RHP or Gallagher on his line.

If we are able to build a 1st line that can produce to that level....that means there's a lot less missing pieces to complete the rebuild.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's where Dach came in.

Although I just can't put him there right now, many this summer, me included, saw in him the potential to pass Suzuki. But like Suzuki, he also need to play with skill players in order to do so and not drag an Anderson, RHP or Gallagher on his line.

If we are able to build a 1st line that can produce to that level....that means there's a lot less missing pieces to complete the rebuild.
I have a good feeling (oops, I’m sounding like @The Real Timo now lol) that Dach has first line ceiling.

However, health is a key attribute. Maybe he was just unlucky but those are major injuries he suffered and which have prevented him from fully establishing himself so too early to know for sure.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Agreed runner. It's about how many first liners we can accumulate. I categorize a first line player as the top 96 forwards in the league.

Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, Dach all are either there or have the potential to get there. Dach has to show a lot, but he was trending to hit a another level before the season.

Kind of why I am curious about adding Zegras. He could be our 5th player at that level. Add Newhook who is a lower end 2nd liner and we have our top 6.

I think this team is a lot closer than we give it credit for. But I am an eternal optimist and wear my rose colored glasses with pride.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Wait and see camp as DA and Runner mentioned. Dach is such an X factor and newhook MAY surprise us. That first bit after injury you usually aren't 100% We need to trade some of our D abundance for some better forward options for next season.

There are a lot of D men in the top 10 this year, and we may draft one because there aren't better options on the table. That being said, having the potential of three or more 2-3 Dmen is a luxury. NEED to keep Arber, fix a few issues and this is souray 1.5 less offence, but no slouch. I would be fine with moving barron, harris, kovy, and we still have wideman injured. Weird to think how thin we were back when Mete was on our 1-2 D pairing. We have almost enough quality D to ice 2 D squads. No one stands out to me as untouchable, but no one is a complete spare part. Wish Guhle would keep his head up.

Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread, but moving a Dman could get us an upgrade to play with Suz and Slaf and have a very good second line of Caufield and Dach and newhook?

Wouldn't mind the bruins kind of build with no matthews 1A kind of line but quality 1B and 1C top two lines.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I voted its too soon, though sure as heck looks like it.

And regular season is important, but the big test is how it does in the post season. I. Thinking it will do fine, but believing and seeing done are two different things.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I too am leary about putting a label on these guys as a bonified legitimate 1st line going forward. You just can never tell what will happen in the future. That said, I have a ton of confidence in all 3 of these players individual skill sets and upside. I think they compliment eachother very well, and can only get better as the team around them improves as well, nevermind as they themselves continue to grow.

However, I will say without hesitation, they're the best "1st line" we've had in a long time, and I'm here for it.

I really think it all depends on what Slafkovsky ultimately becomes, IMO he's the key to this question.

It's just too soon to know.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
They are looking good. Another good line would take some pressure off but also take minutes and zone starts. If it evens out that will be fine.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
They are looking good. Another good line would take some pressure off but also take minutes and zone starts. If it evens out that will be fine.
A #1 line is ineffective if we don't have a legit #2 line.. Which cannot be had if we don't have a 2-way checking #3 line.. I've always maintained, a 4th line (regular season only) should be made up of depth players who have earned their way on to the squad through Laval, not "depth" players from other teams.

come playoffs, the 4th line should be the "understudies" of the top 6 forwards which is basically an insurance policy against injury...

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I think we have a good enough first line, and barring Dach not being able to live up his potential, a good 1-2-3 punch down the middle with Beck coming up (à la 2011 Bruins). Just need to draft a fringe 1st liner with this year's first.
I am really hoping for one of the top 4 forwards in this draft. Realistically I am hoping Either Lindstom or Catton are available to us.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I am really hoping for one of the top 4 forwards in this draft. Realistically I am hoping Either Lindstom or Catton are available to us.
Catton doesn't fit our top 6 makeup (too small).. He will be a great a player no doubt, somewhere else. Not every player is automatic based on the teams who pick them..

Lidstrom on the other hand is EXACTLY what we need.

My top 7 (in order) for MTL only (not overall).. these are the players who will enhance our lineup.

1- Celibrini (C)
2- Lidstrom (C)
3- Levshunov (RHD)
4- Silayev (LHD)
5- Demidov (RW)
6- Dickinson (LHD)
7- Parekh (RHD)

These players will not work work on our team (unless current guys are moved). in otehr words, they replace current players, they don't add to the mix.
1- Eiserman (LW)
2- Helenius (C)
3- Catton (C)
4- Buium (LHD)

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think when Dach comes back we’ll mix things up. So it’s a qualified no.

If they keep going like that for the rest of the season, next year at least to start the season......will be hard to break them, especially if they managed to get Newhook - Dach going on the other line.....and Dach last year was going with the worst crap he could get.

But will come a time for sure......Dach-Caufield sounds as good as Slafkovsky-Dach.....

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Catton doesn't fit our top 6 makeup (too small).. He will be a great a player no doubt, somewhere else. Not every player is automatic based on the teams who pick them..

Lidstrom on the other hand is EXACTLY what we need.

My top 7 (in order) for MTL only (not overall).. these are the players who will enhance our lineup.

1- Celibrini (C)
2- Lidstrom (C)
3- Levshunov (RHD)
4- Silayev (LHD)
5- Demidov (RW)
6- Dickinson (LHD)
7- Parekh (RHD)

These players will not work work on our team (unless current guys are moved). in otehr words, they replace current players, they don't add to the mix.
1- Eiserman (LW)
2- Helenius (C)
3- Catton (C)
4- Buium (LHD)
I'm taking a forward, I cannot see us being in a position to draft talent like the top four forwards for a long time. Catton is listed at 5'11" and although slight he looks physically immature and I can see him putting on another 20lbs quit easily. Our own Kutch would be awesome.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Besides injuries or some bs stagnation they absolutely are. But we are the Habs and who knows when this curse ends.

In a vacuum though, I think they’re a true blue 1st line 100%. They’ll only get better

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00